don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Full "translated" text from the article:

At 9 pm on the 14th, the seventh participant in the online live broadcast of 'Ruricon' was Sega Publishing Korea. Following the special video 'Meat Eating Day' of 'Corps Eater Adventurer's Table', the 2D high-speed action game 'Sonic Origins', scheduled to be released on June 23, opened the first door.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Development director Katsuyuki Shigihara and main planner Kanako Kusunoki of this work, which contains four titles, answered questions from users through a video.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

● I bought and played the Xbox arcade version before. What differentiates it from previous remastered games?

The biggest difference is the anniversary mode. It will be more fun than you can imagine because you can run with a sense of exhilaration without having to worry about mistakes. In addition, the music is digitized so that it can be played easily and happily with clear points and various characters. ● Looking at the trailer, the difference between Classic Mode and Anniversary Mode seems to be about aspect ratio. Are there any other differences? Is there any point you would like users to focus on while developing Grisonic Origins? The anniversary mode not only has a 16:9 screen, but you can still respawn if you make a mistake, making it very easy to play. In the classic mode, you can experience the game as it was 30 years ago.

[​IMG]

● What experience would you like to give your players through Sonic Origins?

Since it became a topic of discussion as a movie, it was produced here with the hope that you would once again experience the battle with Eggman, the 'origin of Sonic', through gameplay and story. By doing so, I think that if you start Sonic Frontier, which will be released in the future, you will be able to enjoy the battle with Eggman more with the new Sonic. In addition, the mission mode has a new set, so it seems to be able to give you the joy of being able to play in this way on the original stage. ● Are the Sonic CD opening and ending songs Japanese or North American versions? Or is it possible to choose between the two? The songs on the Sonic CD are included in both the Japanese/European version and the North American version, and songs can be changed. We are preparing rare content that has never been released until now, so we hope you enjoyed it. ● Does each title have a save function for each chapter? Are there any changes to the mini-game for getting emeralds? 'Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles' has a save slot as before. You can play other titles by selecting a character, and it is possible to create a different save slot for each character. And although there is no change in the game contents of the special stage, if you play in anniversary mode, you can try again using coins, so it will be easier for users who have not been able to clear until now.

● After Sonic Mania, I became unable to live without drop dash. Is it possible to use it as a way to unlock it?

Since the classic mode is made in the same shape as the mega drive version, the drop dash itself is impossible. But, check out the gameplay to see what will happen in Anniversary Mode. ● I wonder if there is a dedicated key for superization. In this work, a separate dedicated button is assigned and can be changed, rather than pressing the jump key once more while jumping to make it super. ● How is it different from the old Sonic 3? The sound was changed from an analog sound source to a digital sound source and became very clear. In addition, a new mode called 'New Blue Spear Mode' has been added. ● Is the Sonic 3 Mega Drive version BGM included? Is it included in the music pack? Can I apply it to play in-game? Although not available in-game, you can listen to some songs from Sonic the Hedgehog 3 at the museum. If you play Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, you cannot listen to other songs because Sonic and Knuckles' songs are applied first, but you can enjoy them at the museum. ● Sonic 1 ported to mobile was able to transform into Super Sonic by increasing the number of emeralds in the level select mode. Is it possible to transform into Super Sonic with or without that method in Sonic 1?

Of course it is possible. However, in Sonic Origins, it is impossible to open the level select mode by tapping the Sega logo, so try several methods. ● How does the remastered Sonic Origins play video feel? This time, we prepared the world's first play video for Rurikon viewers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was a drop dash scene, and there was also a scene where he transforms into Super Sonic. As you can see, I also prepared about two missions for the first time. The Tales mission and the mission to transform into Super Sonic from the beginning and clear it. Super Sonic Mission is a game over when Super Sonic is released, so you must enter it before it is released. There are several missions like these, so please try them out. ● Lastly, would you like to say something to your fans in Korea? This time, several modes have been added and it is really easy to play, so both those who have played a lot so far and those who are new to Sonic can enjoy it. One of the factors that I paid attention to this time is the museum, where you can listen to the music so far and see illustrations and videos. Treasury illustrations, which will be released for the first time this time, are also prepared, so please take a look and I hope you will be surprised that there were images like this.

"Sonic Origins is a title where you can enjoy all four works that are the origin of Sonic," said Sonic series producer Takashi Iizuka in a video message, saying, "Sonic, the 31st year since the birth of Sonic, will be the biggest year in Sonic's history. "The movie 'Super Sonic 2' is showing a higher box office success than its predecessor. In North America, it surpassed its predecessor in its fourth week of release, and set a new record of being the number one movie based on a video game. (omitted) And in the second half of this year, the animation 'Sonic Prime' will be streamed on Netflix. It depicts a new world of Sonic that could not be expressed in movies or games, so please look forward to it."

[​IMG]

He continued, "Finally, at the end of the year, I think we will be able to deliver the news of the release of 'Sonic Frontier', a completely new action game produced by the Sonic team." It has evolved from an analog style to a new style called open world. It is a work that the Sonic team put a lot of effort into challenging new areas, so please look forward to future news." He said, "Let's run with Sonic in 2022!" He added.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    The way you explained that would seem to imply that since some of the S3 standalone tracks are only heard in the museum, that it is highly unlikely we would be able to play the games separately (which is far from a deal breaker btw) and we won’t be able to toggle between the tracks either.

However I still feel that the quote is too vague and they really avoided going any further by not mentioning the zone tracks themselves.

To me at least, based just off this quote, I think the MJ tracks are not included, but hey I would still love to be wrong.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  3. RikohZX

RikohZX

So that sounds to confirm separate Super button at least, "New Blue Sphere" which might've been that expanded Blue Sphere idea from the old concept before Mania re-implemented it, and either old or new cheats to figure out for Debug and Level Select.

4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I think it’s important to bear in mind that the hardcore fan perception, the casual perception, and official statements all differ slightly from one another. We hardcore fans know that the Sonic 3 soundtrack was almost certainly worked on by Michael Jackson, that this has likely caused rights issues preventing rereleases and that there was recently a prototype soundtrack unearthed that uses different tracks in places where we believe disputed tracks were eventually used. A significant portion of casuals probably know about MJ’s involvement, but most wouldn’t know about the newly unearthed prototype tracks. Meanwhile, SEGA has officially acknowledged none of this, probably for legal reasons. That is to say, as far as SEGA’s concerned, the official story - and the only one they want you to hear is that there is absolutely nothing remarkable about the behind the scenes of Sonic 3’s OST. As such, I think it’s far more likely than not that this statement refers to the tracks which were replaced by S&K versions when playing S3&K, such as Knuckles’ theme, the Super theme and the mini boss theme. The best part about this for that official narrative is that we know some of these probably weren’t disputed, so there’s no need for SEGA to admit that there was ever any such dispute.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    If anything that must confirm the OG OST. The Sonic 3 tracks overwritten by Sonic Knuckles tracks are the MJ tracks. What else would they include in the museum that is overwritten by S3AK tracks? The Knuckles Proto theme?

6. Snowbound

Snowbound

Am I recalling correctly that the drums of knuckles theme was reused by MJ on blood on the dance floor?

7. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    "Sonic and Knuckles songs are applied first" is still surprisingly specific, and there's only 3 non-Jackson songs this could apply too (the title screen, super theme, 1-up theme), while the rest of the replaced songs are things like the s3 mini-boss and Knuckles s3 theme, the latter which has not been remixed since 1999 and can only be heard in Emulation collections up to this point.

If those songs are in the museum, that very strongly implies Sega has the rights to put Jackson Sonic 3 songs into their releases again, which would mean there's no reason not to include the stage themes as well.

The debate now becomes "Will Sega include those 3 replaced songs but not the other 2"?

8. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Seeing as Sonic CD lets you toggle between sound tracks, I’m surprised there isn’t an option to toggle between S3 and SK music. (That would have also been a neat way to toggle between the level modifications.). But I guess the S3 music differences aren’t as extensive as the Sonic CD sound track differences. So it’s no biggie.

That interviewer asked a good selection of thorough questions. Too bad the interviewer didn’t ask about why there is no Knuckles in Sonic CD or for insights on 2P split screen! =P

9. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    I think folks are reading too much into this - it doesn't necessarily mean anything re: the OG Sonic 3 soundtrack being used. He's simply saying any themes unique to Sonic 3 that are replaced in Sonic & Knuckles are only listenable to in the museum, right? But that'd only encompass the following: Title screen, 1-UP, Invincibility, Knuckles' Theme, Mid-Boss and End credits (plus the short jingle at the end). Even if they're using the proto tracks as replacements, all of those barring the Mid-Boss theme still have unique Sonic 3 equivalents in that soundtrack, so his statement could still apply regardless of what's happened music-wise. I'm hoping just as much as anyone that the OG tracks are in, but I really don't think this answer's saying what people think it is.

On a related note, soundtrack-wise, is anyone else hoping they've allowed Headcannon to take the liberty of making a proper end credits medley encompassing the whole of Sonic 3 & Knuckles? We know the original devs planned it for the cancelled Limited Edition thanks to the available prototypes - although that version of the track was unfinished, it'd be great if a completed version could be made for this release. Always felt odd to me back in the day hearing only the music from Sonic & Knuckles Zones when completing the whole saga - it's a shame they didn't think to include a full Sonic 3 & Knuckles medley as a separate track to be used only when locked-on...!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Yeah, despite the rough google translation, they're obviously talking about the decorative songs, such as title screen and invincibility. Which is a good thing, because I always preferred the S&K variants over the S3 ones.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  11. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Yeah, the Sonic & Knuckles themes have always been my preference too - it's a shame the option to switch wasn't implemented for those who prefer the vanilla Sonic 3 themes, though. I guess it's because the Sonic & Knuckles themes were the only ones you could hear with the games locked-on together on the original hardware - there was no legitimate way to play the full game with the Sonic 3 themes intact. In contrast, Sonic CD's multiple soundtracks were both usable on original hardware in different regions, so they presumably consider them both legitimate and allow the option to switch.

On that note, I'll admit I've never played Sonic CD with the US Soundtrack - the closest I've come is playing the demo of the old DINO PC version, which used the US intro music (though being a demo, none of the actual stage music was present). Will probably use Origins as an excuse to finally experience the alternate tracks - maybe use the international soundtrack for going through as Sonic, and then the US soundtrack for Tails.

12. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I've always preferred S3's mini boss theme and Knuckles theme, but again.... thanks to the magic of Steam workshop, someone will probably make that a mod.

13. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

What I'm hearing is that TaxStealth and co. need to recreate the S3&K bug that loads you into Sonic & Knuckles when you smash through a dozen or so S Monitors at once. And then put in something similar that results in Sonic 3. :eng99:

14. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Honestly I'm gonna miss the Sonic 3 credits theme the most. Always loved the more chill vibe it gave off compared to the previous Sonic endings.

15. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

Perhaps sound test? It was still present in S3K's.

16. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    The mobile Sonic games are filled with secret options. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some secret sound test code you can enter to play S3&K with all the S3 music (that Sega can legally use).

17. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

Brad Buxer has only ever confirmed two songs to be connected to other works: "Hard Times" by Jetzons being the basis for Ice Cap Zone and Sonic 3 Credits being repurposed into "Stranger in Moscow." You can certainly argue they either sound or are the same, but that is only speculation.

18. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I'm in the camp that believes the Sonic 3 music won't be changed.

19. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Say what you all want, I really want the music to change, beta Launch Base FTW

20. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

Agreed, lots of dooming over nothing, especially when headlines like "It sure looks like Sonic 3 won’t have its original soundtrack in Sonic Origins. Here’s why" get shared with regularity, the only source being that the author was unable to get Sega to confirm a question predicated with knowledge of a legal issue with no paper trail in the last 20 years.