don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. SpeedySpikes

SpeedySpikes

I'm yellow. Don't you judge me.
    Sonic Colours Unity (Primary Developer)
    This game better be good. They should bring back the Adventure-styled gameplay we love. I feel that Unleashed controls feel stiff and hard to control at times, but I had no problem with the Adventure games. If they could use that kind of control scheme and make the levels interesting and fun, this is a definite buy for me.

2. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Sorry about the confusion earlier, yes it was about the Facebook information that looks like its still appearently not found.

Your comment lacks Colors and Generations, why?

3. FuzzballFox

FuzzballFox

Hmmmmm Member
    UK - Hampshire
    Nothing anymore
    ..watch the thread turn into a "Colours" "Generations" "Unleashed" "SA2" "Your Mom" control thread- and how those games must be awesome but if you don't agree ur classy gentleman (I approve of this edit)

I'll probably keep at eye on this out of curiousity more than anything

4. Conando

Conando

Is not, in fact, Raphael Member
    Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    For all we know, it could play entirely different from any of those games. This is the first next generation era Sonic game.

5. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I'm wondering if Lost World will be one of the playable E3 demos that will be popping up at Best Buys.

6. Conando

Conando

Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    Well, isn't it supposed to release in the Fall? It very well could be then. I'm going to figure it would be at the Nintendo booth at E3.

7. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    This. One screenshot, (Or is it concept art?) isn't enough to go on. This is the difference between salivating over the idea of another attempt at 3D with Sonic (He really should play more like a walking pinball with legs, not a motorcycle. Doesn't take away from Unleashed, Colors, and Generations being great games, though.) or some weird experiment that isn't even a platformer. I want to hope for the former, but I'm keeping my mind open for whatever this has to offer; I'd rather not this start another riot of extreme disappointment, like Starfox Adventures did for a lot of people.

8. Conando

Conando

Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    Oh, I'm sure it will be a platformer. There could be an entire overhaul of how Sonic handles, though. That's what I'm getting at. They still have quite a few different ways to make a good Sonic game.

9. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    God, I hope they don't change it too much. Seriously. Adventure was... okay for the time, but with Unleashed/Colors/Generations, they FINALLY got a handle on how to make a speed-based character properly control in a 3D environment. I'd be all for expanding on that, but Super Mario 3D Land, in spite of its array of powerups and more linear levels, feels pretty much like Super Mario 64. And that's a good thing. Nintendo knocked it out of the park when it came to how a jumping character should feel. Overhauling something when it's working would be really unfortunate, especially considering it took a while for them to really even nail this down. Sonic handles a lot better in Generations than he did in Unleashed, and changing things makes going back to square one more of a risk.

Either way, given that Nintendo's publishing it, I think the pressure will be on to make it one of the cornerstones of the Wii U's Holiday season, assuming it's out by the end of this year.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    As I said in my news post, November is a fairly safe bet for a launch window.

Speak for yourself, mate, I hate how those games control. =P Perfectly happy with another title with controls in the same vein as the last few.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Agreed. I've grown quite fond of the Generations modern style gameplay, and it just seems wrong that after finally nailing it they try again. When most companies try new things with their games I'm happy, but I just damn don't trust Sonic Team, even if they have gotten better lately. Those 10 years before Unleashed game out were one gameplay identity crisis after another.

12. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    If it is, I'll be playing the shit out of that demo.

...And then I'll be plopping down $350 for a Wii U console.

13. SpeedySpikes

SpeedySpikes

I'm yellow. Don't you judge me.
    Sonic Colours Unity (Primary Developer)
    I'm not speaking for myself. I know SEVERAL people that like how the Adventure games control.

But you know what? Control vs. control doesn't really matter now. SEGA's bringing us a new Sonic game that hopefully isn't going to be crap. That's what matters in the end, right?

14. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Well, depending on how this turns out, it might be time to get a Wii U. V:

Hm. That planet-y thing there reminds me of how Zones used to be portrayed in some of the other Sonic media from a top-down view back in the day.

15. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I always found it easier to move around as Sonic in SA2:B unless you're moving fast so making improvements to the controls for this game would be nice. Sonic handles well in Generations, but his controls could always be improved. I personally hope the spindash will be brought back and they make adjustments to Sonic's drifting ability so it's easier to drift.

16. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I'm wondering if they've considered removing the boost, whether they change the rest of the gameplay or not. I personally don't care if they do or not (and I still welcome the boost as long as we get good level design), but modern Sonic + a Spindash kind of thing would be all sorts of ideal to me.

17. Well, Colours DS included both boost and spindash IIRC. They could easily incorporate both if they wanted (maybe by getting rid of the slide or assigning it to a shoulder button or something).

18. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Okay. Not that anyone's bashing it just yet. Here's why the boost is good.

Classic Sonic, as has been discussed endlessly, wasn't really ABOUT speed. He COULD go fast, but momentum and blah blah blah you've seen it all before. But speed worked, and it was fun, and the levels were designed around it. It felt AMAZING. But part of the reason it worked is because it was simple. Sonic moved all over the place, but did it all on a 2D plane.

Sonic suffered in 3D because Sega tried to make a game that was JUST about speed and flow, but now the character has 360 degrees of movement. The control being what it was, there was a HUGE difference between where you'd end up if you tilted the stick a few degrees left and right. But Sonic was still SUPER controllable; he could turn on a dime no matter how fast he was moving, and this actually took away from how precise you could be due to all the invisible walls and physics objects and shit you'd slam into.

But the boost makes Sonic's speed a simple mechanic again -- point and shoot. You'll blast off in that direction, and your turning ability is mitigated by how fast you're going, so it's easier to make the kind of smaller, precise adjustments you need.

The spin dash never worked like that. You couldn't spin dash and just maintain your momentum going uphill. It was a slingshot. And worse yet, you had to come to a dead stop to use it. Which was fine with all the hopping around and half-pipes you'd be hitting in the 2D games. But really. It was broken and incredibly useful for it in SA, but in SA2, I basically just used it to pick up speed going downhill. It wouldn't work as well.

Sonic Team FINALLY has a really great handle on how to make a speed-based character work in 3D. And while Colors' levels had a ton of 2D sections and were a lot more platformy, the boost was INTEGRAL to Unleashed and Generations' level design. As long as the game is designed well around it, it's a really fun, useful, and SKILLFUL mechanic.

19. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    So we got a tiny bit more info here:
    http://segabits.com/blog/2013/05/18/sonic-lost-world-to-be-all-new-says-sega/

Good to hear they aren't just re-using old enemies this time around.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    More Sonic Colors/Sonic 4 Ep 2 designs, less Sonic 4 Ep 1 designs plz. The former looked awesome, the latter looked terrible.

Although tbh I kind of enjoyed the reuse of old enemies in Colors since they gave them new purpose. Like, ya it was Motobug and Sandworm but they functioned entirely differently than they did in Sonic 1 and Sonic & Knuckles... that and Motobug suddenly became fast as fuck. Also the missile Eggrobo in Generations. I thought that was a good way to reuse old enemies.