don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    Well they use the same engine formats from Sonic 4 games and other files in the game. Same layout structure too from Rush and Sonic 4. That's how I know its like that. I guess some other people could just feel like it felt that way. Generations 3ds wasn't a bad attempt at all its just funny that the physics worked better in that game since they emulated the classic levels or tried to so that helped them.

2. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Just try Spindashing at a ramp or something. They behave very similarly. All the interactions with the level geometry are shared, the things that changed the most were the 'roll' variables and momentum.

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I think the biggest giveaway in terms of how things "feel" is the way that Sonic stands on slopes that are almost 90 degrees. Hugely evocative of every other Dimps game since Rush.

4. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    We never did datamine LW or Gens 3DS huh?

Guess since the 3DS is hacked now we should probably get around to that and see what we can find.

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

6. Picked up the Steam version since it was on sale. I played the 3DS version and didn't like it at all. The PC version is better, in my opinion, but it still has a few pitfalls.

Now, I don't have a Wii U, and so I have no idea how the game worked on it, but did the help information show up on the tablet or something? I really don't like having to stop what I'm doing and use the mouse to activate the Help windows just so I can learn the controls. I didn't even realize that I had to click on the help icons until I'd already died a few times trying to figure out the controls via trial-and-error. It would have been nice if they had made it a "Hide Help Info" button and had the same run-into Help icons like every previous game. I'd like to learn how to play before going without any help, although I do appreciate the idea for repeat playthroughs of earlier levels.

The controls are not very intuitive if you're used to Generations. I'll probably have to remap the controls, but it would be nice if the Spin Dash and stomp were the same as Generations was, just so I don't die so often due to muscle memory. Honestly, if you're going to recycle moves and abilities from previous games, keep the controls the same unless you have a damn good reason to change everything up.

Other than that, it's the same typical complaints that everybody else has had already. There's no easy way for a lot of enemies to determine if you need a Kick or Homing Attack, it would have been better to just have one attack that changed on-context. (Hey, is that something we can fix now that we can hack the game? Edit all the enemies to die to the Homing Attack instead of having to guess and hope you picked the right attack) The parkour system takes some getting used to, and that's coming from somebody who just came off of the 3DS version. It's much more satisfying to fight Eggman and his machines than the Deadly Six, if only because you can get more graphic with the impacts on Eggman battles while keeping the ratings the same. I'd rather see static, flames, and flying wreckage with each strike rather than a cartoon reaction and blinking because I'm fighting a organic opponent. Also, why is there no side-step button for the Mach-Speed levels?

I can see what they were going for, but this kind of system would have benefited from adding more traditional-shaped levels, like Sonic Adventure. Otherwise, the Galaxy-esque levels lose the novelty appeal relatively quickly. Slipping in some more traditional fare would have made the existing levels feel more unique and made them stand out more when they did appear. Even Super Mario Galaxy had levels like Honeyhive Galaxy that felt like playing Super Mario 64 instead of only gravity-gimmick planet-hopping themes.

Long story short, it's not friendly to newcomers, it's a step TOO far in the cartoon aesthetic when it comes to boss battles (although I don't mind the environment graphics in that regard), but it has a lot of potential if we get enough people modding it to add different types of levels. (Also, if we can port side-stepping from Generations, that would be amazing for Mach-Speed levels. They look like they were built for the mechanic, so why is it missing?)