don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I kinda got that vibe from the trailer that they were rebuilding old levels because they showed Sonic using a lot of Unleashed esq moves such as drifting and sliding and stuff like that.

2. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    You what level they should've shown off in the trailer?
    [​IMG]
    Yeah. Flying Battery. I'm gonna finish this over the next few days. And it's going to be awesome.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Holy shit if Flying battery actually came out looking like that I would totally want to see it's return. I was never a fan of that level in Sonic 3 for one reason for another, but at the same time I much prefer the Sonic 3 levels to those of Sonic and Knuckles

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    This picture makes me smile so much. I've always loved the way you draw Sonic.

5. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    A) What about it, specifically, makes you feel this way? I personally like it, though I do think it looks a bit awkward. This is most likely because there really hasn't been a proper 3D model of the Classic design. However, not only is there good attention to detail, but if you look at the side profile it doesn't look too far off from the the classic design:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

B) I guess thats why SEGA repeatedly releases Sonic 1 on everything. Cassette Players have no place in 2011, but character designs have a place whenever the developer feels like they do, especially when the franchise is a rather popular long-runner.

C) Please clarify, what you wrote doesn't even make sense.

6. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    @Dark Sonic- Yeah man, I've always wanted to see how FBZ would look in full blown 3D. I hope this fanart turns out as awesome as I think it will. I've got all of the BG inked at the moment, about to throw some onto the Sonics. I'll totally post it when it's finish.

@Tweaker- Aww, thanks pal. Sometimes you're quite the sweetheart, sir. :)

7. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    My rant about it looking like a third-rate stopmotion claymation figurine from a highschool film project is still kicking around here somewhere. But in case you didn't find it, "Old Sonic looks like a third-rate stopmotion claymation figurine from a highschool film project". You can have as much attention to detail as you want, but if the thing you are detailing looks like ass, MORE details ain't gonna make it prettier.

Not in 3D, apparently. Have you heard the artists from the Sonic comics complain about how Old Sonic was shit-difficult to draw properly because his limbs were too stupidly proportioned for him to have full range of movement from the full azimuth of angles? 'Cos I have. Generations now apparently tries to bring that bugbear of the past back to the future, Marty McFly style.

Fat, black-eyes Sonic was a great sprite. But he is not designed to work as a 3D character and he does not work as a 3D character.

It marks the victory of whiny fans over common sense and brand recognition. SEGA maintained that Sonic's new design was here to stay because you can't just hop between character designs for the same brand without confusing the stupider of your customers out of the marketplace. But now, the endless crying and bitching has tipped their hand (or "incentivised", whatever), and now we've got TWO designs.

And why? I'll tell you why. Because the seething masses of fansites like ours have managed to erroneously conflate a decade of gameplay degradation, hammy writing, dubious cast additions, and genre confusion with "EVERYTHIN WAS GRAET BEFOER SONIKU HAD GRENE EYEZ, BRING BAK OLD SAWNIK!!1!".

The recidivists have made the Fat-Bellied Hog into a false messiah, but he will not bring you your salvation.

8. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    We fucked this notion quite thoroughly a few pages back.

9. serpx

serpx

2 hours ago, Sonic's official facebook started a poll on which looked better from the trailer: Classic or Modern Sonic. Classic is winning by a huge margin. This is an interesting development from SEGA, and I wonder if the obvious love for classic Sonic will make a larger impact in the future for things.

10. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    And yet Nigels Kitching and Dobyn of StC still listed it as a significant difficulty for the comic's 223-issue run when we quizzed them at SoS.

But, hey, they were just the official artists, I'm sure Retro's internet peanut gallerty is much more qualified to declare the notion "thoroughly fucked".

11. InstantSonic

InstantSonic

Just add water! Oldbie
    I think it is absolutely amazing, but I doubt some poll on Facebook will change the way Sega has thought about Sonic in the past 14 years or so, especially Sega of Japan. Sega and Sonic Team seem to be very stuck in their ways on how Sonic should be. I think his current incarnation is here to stay.

12. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    It's better, get over it. You are like one of those rare people who dislike something that is obviously great. You are the guy who doesn't like desert.

This debate is almost like a Star Trek TOS or Star Trek NG debate....

And while I'm on the actual topic subject, It almost looks like an Assassin's Creed type deal here, where sonic goes back to places to fix what robotnik fucked up?

13. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    In terms of drawing them, I find Modern Sonic just as annoying to draw accurately as Classic Sonic. Both are pretty complex in their own way.

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    This is a terrible attitude and exactly why people separate the fanbase into groups that violently assert their preferences as objectively better than everyone else's.

Art is subjective. People can and will like whatever they want for their own reasons. It is pretentious and endlessly ridiculous to try and assert to people that one is "just better" and that they should "get over it." If you have an argument for why the classic design is superior and feel it compelling enough to post, post it! God knows plenty of people will agree with you. If "get over it" is your best argument though, I wouldn't bother posting. I'd punch people in the face for trying to pull that kind of crap on me.

15. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    That was supposed to insure the sarcasm...

16. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    ...oh. I guess that went over my head then. Sorry.

17. InstantSonic

InstantSonic

Just add water! Oldbie
    So, in Star Trek: The Next Generation, there was that one episode with Warf, and he had to go through alternate universes, and at the end all those Enterprise ships were showing up... y'think Sonic Generations will be like that?

18. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Comic illustrators are official artists? I, uh... Sure, of course! Ken Penders, too. Of course, it'd help if they weren't making things harder on themselves by drawing Sonic as retardedly as they did. No, StC's take on classic Sonic empirically and categorically <a href="http://www.theoldcomputer.com/game-box-art-covers/Sega/Saturn/S/Sonic%203D%20Flickies%20Island%20(E)/Sonic%203D%20Flickies%20Island%20(E)%20Front%2BBack.jpg" target="_blank">does not work</a> in 3D.

I'm just going to assume you didn't see my post on this. From the character to the level assets, every element of classic Sonic was made with 3D in mind. The review with that one Sonic 2 art dev that claimed the corkscrew loops were pre-rendered corroborates this! Even the fucking S3K title screens were in 3D.

19. InstantSonic

InstantSonic

Just add water! Oldbie
    I like how comics are translating into games here. There hasn't been one game based on any of the various Sonic comics, all for the exception of Spinball, and that was a true-to-form Sonic game, right?

20. And in one universe in Sonic Generations, Robotnik with wild hair and an overgrown beard will hail Sonic and say, "OMFG THE BORG HAVE TAKEN OVER AND I WON'T GO BACK"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.