don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I wonder if Sega was expecting the majority of people to say Classic looked better than modern. I'll be curious to see if it affects what model they use in the future.

2. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Oh right, the Facebook poll. The trailer is great, but it's the poll that really made me giddy. You can claim subjectivity in art if you want, but there's something to be said for overwhelming majority opinion!

3. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Can you link it please? I can't find it...

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    That it tends to dictate action based on mob mentality as opposed to rational, logically constructed viewpoints? Sure! It does a pretty good job at that.

Not like I'm disagreeing with the majority opinion in this particular case, mind you, but that's just silly! Millions of people seeing and aligning with popular opinion doesn't make it right or even remotely enjoyable. The popularity of Christianity in particular is an excellent example of this phenomena.

5. Hybrid Project Alpha

Hybrid Project Alpha

It's what's for dinner Oldbie
    Douglas, NB
    Getting a life
    I like modern design

6. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Why wouldn't they take this poll seriously? They were brazen enough to consider Facebook a viable platform for an exclusive trailer of the biggest game in their pipeline to begin with. They've shown themselves to have negligible respect for their property and they never do the same thing twice. The bottom dollar is their only concern and they seem pretty desperate. I wouldn't write it off entirely.

Silly Tweaker, how could you argue for subjectivity in art if you think there's anything rational or logical about aesthetic appeal?!

Majority opinion is seldom representative of truth, but it's a fairly reliable indicator of appeal. Marketing wouldn't be at the forefront of applied anthropology if visual appeal weren't objective enough to consistently gauge the allure of one entity over another. Also, the popularity of religion in general is only really indicative of a collective concern for life after death, which is a perfectly reasonable concern, I think.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I so wish the next teaser shows green eyed Sonic facing Scratch and Grounder, along with cartoon Sonic doing some amusingly annoying shit.

I know, Turtles Forever spoiled me. =P

8. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    The current results of the Facebook poll were to be expected. Many people have begged for Classic Sonic to return and SEGA is delivering this in a way, regardless of how exactly Classic Sonic will perform in the levels, be it as a costume for any level or for specific levels.

As I said in a previous post, it may not be Sonic 4 like many people asked for the black eyes to return, but it's certainly better in a way.

9. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    I don't think I've seen a single 3D Classic Sonic model that can capture the look and feel of the hand drawn Japanese art/Sonic CD FMVs/Sonic OVA, the closest I've seen is the Sonic 3&K sprite, though that's not a prerendered model, is it?

And most of the 3D models either look way off that mark, like the Sonic 3/S&K title screen, or the 3D Blast boxart/title screen/sprites. Or end up looking closer to the post-Adventure style like the Sonic R boxart and the Sonic Jam intro, most of the ingame models don't have enough polygons to get a good look. SEGA's new C. Sonic model looks good, but honestly I try to imagine it running in a 2.5D area, and he doesn't look right.

Which is why I personally don't mind the alterations in the Modern Sonic models, whether or not those alterations were made for Sonic to fit a 3D world better or not is up to debate but I feel like he fits in better than any of the other attempts, prerendered or otherwise.

10. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    This pretty much sums up my initial response when I heard the news and saw the video a few days ago (link's in the picture) :v:

[​IMG]

I kid you not. I remember saying to Jen ages ago that if SEGA ever brought classic Sonic back in a new game, I was so going to make use of that video for such an occasion. As for the game, I can't think of anything to say other than wonder why the environment looks the way it does in the video. I will hazard a guess we'll either see or play a demo of this game by the time Summer of Sonic comes around.

11. phoenixwright7

phoenixwright7

Cry, and my whip will accommodate! Member
    Wow...

I gotta say, after being out of the loop of Sonic related news for awhile, I decided to come back here to see what's new, if anything. I expected to see something Sonic 4 related... What I got was... Unexpected, though not totally out of left field (I always kinda figured that they'd eventually bring back Classic Sonic since it'd be a great way to garner interest in a new game; I just never knew when ).

Now, the model does look pretty nice an' I can't wait to see what else they do with him in game, if anything, but... I can't help but feel that he looks out of place :/ I dunno... It might be just 'cause I'm so used to Modern Sonic at this point or the fact that they were both side by side or... Somethin'... I dunno... It doesn't change the fact that the model looks nice though... I hope this doesn't mean that Modern Sonic is done for though... If anything 'cause I'd hate to see Modern Amy go. In fact, I hope she'll appear an' be playable in a main game soon. I miss her. :(

Anyways, that's 'bout all I can add outside of the Zones that I'd like to see (which would include Carnival Night Zone, Metropolis Zone, Launch Base Zone, and Pirate Island zone... Pirate Island would need a lot of work though imo. ) and that this game better be released on the Wii or DS, or... I dunno... I'll do somethin'.

12. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    If this game works the way I assume it will, based entirely on this speculation from the teaser, I want a "GREEN EYES BAAAAWWWW!!" Achievement/Trophy for refusing to even use Modern Sonic throughout the whole game. Just Saiyan.

13. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    If they actually wind up putting references to the unpleasable fanbase somewhere in the game, that'd make my day. If Rare can do it in Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (Say what you want about the actual gameplay, the script, art style, music, etc, is pure FAN SERVICE at its best), why can't SEGA?

14. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Something I still want to see, or hear as the case may be, is the old title theme. I've been wanting them to put a remix of that theme in a modern game for years.

Even just having Senoue and Co. record a rock version of the riff would be fine by me, and it'd be in the old meets new spirit of this game. I'm aware of the rights issues, but that sure didn't stop Sonic 2006 of all games from having a remix of Sweet Dream.

15. cornholio857

cornholio857

The Great Cornholio Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    In search of TP
    A Rock version of the Sonic 1 Title might sound pretty good but personally, I have a soft spot for FM Synth. As long as they don't have a Rock remix of Green Hill Zone if that level will even be in-game. I've heard my fair share of Green Hill Guitar Remixes. LOL

16. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I'm willing to bet Robotnik attempts to use the Time Stones to jump forward in time and steal superior technology from his modern counterpart. Modern Robotnik finds him and decides to utilize this timebreach with his 6-year-younger counterpart and do the plan of taking over the past. 10-year-old Sonic, unable to defeat the newer model robots, gets 16-year-old Sonic to help. However, the breach is causing both times to fuse, resulting in a new time with random chunks of land on a plain white field. You end up here, running around chunks of the Green Hill Zone without falling into the white, lest Sonic be removed from time...

...before anyone tries to say Classic Sonic wasn't 10, I'm armed with canon:
    Thus it also proves my theory Sonic merely grew up into the current one =L

17. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Is there any particular reason as to why the Sonic Jam bios aren't the de facto standard regarding classic canon? Regardless of region, manual stories are still generally 3rd party sources written without any real regard for accuracy.

Also, that's a terrible speculative story because it implies that classic Sonic isn't superior in every way. Get out of here.

18. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I exceedingly disagree with this statement

I think he is implying that there are certain moves Modern Sonic has that would easily defeat enemies/obstacles Classic would have trouble with I.e. Light Speed Dash/Ancient Light.

Also, when you think about it, Modern Sonic is in fact story-wise vastly superior than Classic Sonic is in many ways (though there are a few areas where C. Sonic would be better), due to the obvious fact that Modern Sonic is basically Classic Sonic from the Future. Modern Sonic story-wise is essentially, Classic Sonic's level of ability, plus years of saving the world and learning new useful powers/abilities. However, I will say that there are certain things that Classic Sonic excels in more, such as his personality (which more or less seemed like a "get the job done" mentality, compared to Modern's tendency to be a show off that's trying to be cool.)

19. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    Modern Sonic is just too powerful altogether. He has all these fucking moves and can just destroy everything in his path. He doesn't even need to jump on enemies anymore. He just needs to run through them. The only thing stopping the motherfucker is a bottomless pit.

20. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    You're right! It's a terrible idea for a slew of much more practical reasons, including citing the one source in the entire franchise where Sonic isn't a teenager (Before any of the supporting cast were around to provide context for age, mind! 10 year olds don't make for convincing fraternal figures or love interests), taking the unpainted world literally (Seriously guys, an HD 3D game with no backgrounds?), and failing to account for the fact that neither Tails, Cream, Big, Amy etc. etc. have any problems dealing with any of Eggman's contemporary robots.

Bullshit. Wait until the game actually tells you what the facts are, why don't you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.