don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    In a thread about modding/hacking. :rolleyes:

GTE/GTM files are related to describing bitmap animations, as in, animations that swap the texture(like any regular 2D game). I haven't looked at them much yet.

2. What tools and knowledge should I have if I want to replace every Boost track with the regular level tracks?

3. Falk

Falk

Wasn't there some issue with the game not accepting non-mono files for boost or something?

4. Dario FF

Dario FF

Oh yeah since I'm able to read/write material files now I can just edit and fix up those incompatible materials to any of the other common map types.

EDIT: If you didn't notice, it's the fog that was previously just black.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Of course it doesn't look the same, unless I can find an example of a material like this that has some custom "volume" shader or something.

That doesn't cover the reason normal maps aren't working yet though. That's something related to the ammount of vertex data(generations has more optimized vertex data, since it stores stuff like tangent normals used for bump mapping instead of generating them on the run like Unleashed) which I hope to crack soon.

5. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I promise I'll do something about my controller eventually ;_;.

I mean, for the four fucking months I've had the game, it didn't do this until a couple days ago. What the hell?

6. I'unno, I like the dash panels, but this is NOT BAD.

7. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    WHY?

8. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Still seems to be a lot of friction on that roll. However, this was really neat to see! Will future tweaking be taking place :)?

9. What happens if you're a retard and wasted all your boost before you get to that loop-de-loop, you're effed. I don't see anything wrong with boosters for modern sonic. Classic sonic? Nowhere but Chemical Plant Zone.

10. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Did you mean boosters shouldn't be in Classic Sonic save for CPZ, or that they aren't? Because I remember for sure that they're in Sky Sanctuary, Speed Highway (possibly, can't remember...), and City Escape.

11. Shouldn't.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ok how about this. Some boosters for modern Sonic should remain (Getting around giant loops). Some shouldn't (the rest of them)

13. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    You do know those loops are abnormally huge for even Modern Sonic correct? Thats why they have dash pads to guide you through it. Thats partly why they do that in the 3d games, since if its too small you'll go through it easily, but if its too huge your going to need help. Plus the boost pads, are what help with speed runs! Hit a boost pad and slide and you gain more speed then jump and go flying. I can understand for classic not having boosters but Modern Sonic?

14. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    3:58 in the video happens.

Now, of course, there are some essential speed boosters in the game. That's why I'm manually removing them from each stage. I'm probably going to put the one back that I removed after the wooden loop because without it, you land in the opposite direction.

15. KuroBit

KuroBit

Boost pads existed in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 because it would be too difficult to go through a loop manually due to how the physics and camera were set up. Sonic Generations sets the loops as 2D sections, so you can't awkwardly fall off or fall in between them or outside or anything, you either have enough speed or you don't. But with the boost pads there, there are no prerequisites to be able to get over the loop, you just get there and you're automatically flung through the loop no matter what.

I remember when recording my green hill zone with no items video, that I was easily able to get over all the loops without using any boost, though I'm not sure if I had any powerups enabled. I would assume even if I did though, that it wouldn't be difficult to back up and get some speed to clear it without any boost despite the huge size of them.

2ยข

16. Dario FF

Dario FF

Why not just edit the spring's settings?

Also feel free to add any of your findings to the Objects page wiki for level layouts.

17. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    I think you land in the opposite direction because of the leftward momentum you are carrying, which would be impossible to fix without reversing the spring's direction.

18. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    That, along with some script keeping you moving left regardless of which direction you intend to move. You have to let go of the controls or stop completely in order to go right.

19. Dario FF

Dario FF

That's probably an auto run trigger, or just the path it's drawn like. I have no way to edit paths now since I'm not familiar with any bezier math, but they're plain XML so perhaps someone can make an editor for them. Paths are normally used to handled any of those 2D sections, so that transition path between those two planes must be the cause.

Contrary to popular beliefs, there's no "scripts" in the game technically. There's objects that force you sometimes to follow paths, or custom collision triggers thrown around the map. But never once have I seen something that resembles a "script".

Append: I refer to a script as something that's executed line-by-line as a command without having to recompile the game's code. e.g., missions have LUA scripts to set the initial conditions.

20. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I think most people are using the word script as in "scripted movements", not "movements using scripts"