don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. I've been trying different stage mods alongside the "SM64 Generations" mod Skyth made (Amazing mod, by the way! Thanks for making it, it's so much fun to play around with!). I've been going through the various codes in HedgeModManager to try and make things a bit easier on myself, such as making enemies only damage you when they're actually attacking.

Is there any way to 100% force full manual camera control and making the camera angle stay put after moving it? The biggest issue I'm having with most level mods and a couple vanilla levels (especially a particularly evil-angled jump in Rooftop Run - The one before the long smasher-filled corridor) is that even with the two existing camera codes turned on, I can't get the camera to play nice.

I've been trying the various demos of the Sonic '06 conversion mod, and this would make the traffic intro fully playable since you can easily look behind you for upcoming traffic, and the only thing keeping me from finishing Wave Ocean is the various camera triggers in the Mach Speed section.

Speaking of HedgeModManager codes, would it be possible to make one that lowers the death plane when you fall off the stage, as well as one to insta-kill Sonic when pressing a button combination? A lot of these levels (like Wave Ocean for example) has fully swim-able water but you die if you hit the water too quickly since the death plane is immediately below. It wouldn't be very noticeable when playing as Sonic, but it would make various levels easier to complete as Mario since you can swim across water-filled areas easier and not have to try and dodge every speed-booster that leads into a water-running section.

2. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    New mod, with a brand new design for fem Sonic, and entirely new voice lines!

[​IMG]

3. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Awww, thats awesome.
    One of the few fem sonic designs I've seen that isn't overtly sexual and gross.

4. I ordered a Steam Deck recently, and it finally showed up at my grandmother's house and I just need to go pick it up. (I don't trust the local post office where I live, I'm constantly getting the wrong person's mail, even when I personally go to the post office to tell them that I'm the only person living here and to stop delivering it here.) The Steam Deck runs Linux, but uses various versions of Proton to run Windows games, supposedly with a relatively high success rate. You can install Windows to a MicroSD card and run that, but the drivers aren't 100% compatible. (They claim they're working on it, but I haven't heard anything past that.

So, I wanted to know if there was a way that I'd be able to run mods for Sonic Generations on it. Generations itself is confirmed compatible. The only issue I can think of is HedgeModManager itself. I'm certain that I'd be able to run the program itself, since SteamOS ought to fire up Proton for me automatically. The issue is that I'm not sure if starting Generations through HMM will work, since I'm not starting Gens. directly and giving Proton a chance to hook into the game.

Does anybody here have a Steam Deck, and know if it would work? I'd love to be able to play my favorite mods on it. I spend a lot of my day on the bus traveling between college classes, so I don't usually have time to sit down and play games on PC as often. Having portable access would be great and give me something to do while on the bus.

5. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Generations works like my mod loaders, once you set up the mods they stay active regardless of how you launch the game, until you disable them in the mod manager.

6. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Hey, so reinstalling Generations on my new rig and noticed it was running weird but I can only assume that's because it was an old PC port? Was wondering some mods people recommend to improve stability. I installed the Direct3D 11 mod, but if there's anything else I should check out to get the best experience, I'd appreciate it!

7. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Maybe this is not the correct place for this but... Im trying to install hedgemod manager on steamdeck to use the direct 10 mod on generations. I have no experience with hedgemod manager or steamdeck ( got it a few weeks ago.. linux is still alien to me and never used mods on sonic games before since I never had a PC powerful enough to run generations or other 3D sonic games). I tried to install Steam Tinker Launch from proton Qt, I think I got it sucesfully.. since I can get to run the steam tinker launch menu on generations launch, but how can I apply direct x 10 mod on the game? instructions say it auto-configures. Does that mean that it should go automatically? or do I have to download the mod from game banana and put it... where? When I run the game through steam tinker launch, it does not run.
    Sorry to ask this here, have been looking for tutorials all around the web but I dont find any I can understand... I'm pretty much desperate.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  8. Do you mean you want to load something that involves a .DLL file? Try looking up how modded Yakuza games are loaded. There's a set of commands you have to put into the launch options to get it to load stuff like DLL files correctly. I used it to get Ryu Mod Manager working so that I could install a bug-fix that corrects the broken Quickstep in Yakuza 4 Remastered.

I'd just post the directions here, but I don't really understand what the command is doing specifically, I just copied it directly since I was trying to fix a Yakuza game. It might still be a good starting point for your issue, though.

9. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    No, it has nothing to do with DLL, I just want to run the mod on Steamdeck.

10. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh dang they got classic Tails to fly that’s something

12. Skyth

Skyth

Been working on a GPU raytracing mod for the game:

13. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Crisis City looks fantastic!

14. Skyth

Skyth

I uploaded another preview with entirety of Unleashed Project in different lighting scenarios: