don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    I managed to write a material loader/writer so I can now convert material formats from Unleashed to Generations.

What was the disadvantages? Unleashed had separate files to describe a single material:

A .material file for properties values(diffuse, specular, etc.)
    A .texset file for defining all the names of .textures to use.
    A .texture file for each texture unit with the names of the DDS textures to load.

As you can see, a material with 2-3 textures would result in nearly 5-6 files. Just madness. Generations uses a single .material for this(root node type 3 in the specs posted), so I simply resaved them all to this better and shorter format.

Apart from being sure this just works now, some other positive side-effects. For one, it seems the mapping of stuff like this got fixed. Previously they just stretched to the ground. Therefore, some of the extra details are now visible now.
    [​IMG]

I also managed to find the bug that was driving me nuts on my terrain mesh loader, and fixed it. Now it loads up ALL the terrain(with the exception of water at the moment since that requires a plane definition), and also loading materials of course. With the next release of my editor you should be able to export the terrain geometry into a 3D editor of your choice, although I'm trying to figure out how to fix the uv mapping currently. At least with the reassurance that my loader is working smoothly now, I can go get my hands dirty into an importer. :)

Some more screens.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Sorry Lobotomy. :v:

2. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    'sall good. I'm sure someone's going to check the previous page. But can you answer a question for me?

I'm using the latest version of SonicGLvl on Google Code, and I'm trying to remove all of the speed boosters from GHZ 2. Can you tell me why reimporting the level renders it completely devoid of objects?

Also: Check the previous page people, you won't be disappointed.

3. Dario FF

Dario FF

Can you give me a little more information about that? What option did you use for opening it? And may I have a copy of the level file?

Also I'll drop the usage of the artools in the future and just use MM's editor on 0.5.

4. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Yeah, I totally did overwrite the wrong files. Disregard.

5. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Bumping for epicness, this really needs to be watched.

6. Turbohog

Turbohog

I'm loving what you've been doing Lobototomy. Spin attack should've been used in the first place, not slide. I hope you can make those improvements you mentioned . And great work as usual Dario!

7. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member

I'm not sure to be honest. I know Sonic generations doesn't use VAC, but the thing that freaks me out about VAC is that you don't know when you get flagged. I suppose you would just tick the options.

8. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    VAC is only in effect on VAC-enabled servers of VAC-enabled games, using Cheat Engine on a random Steam game won't get you flagged, same as using trainers and the like won't either.

9. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Ah. Will, I tired it and it froze. I'm guess the skill check is either in the that compile lua file or hard coded.

10. So, I watched your video, Lobotomy, and I'm really amazed by what you put together. I started thinking about the scripted slopes in Sky Sanctuary and how they were messing with your Spin Attack while on them. Could it be possible to remove the scripted parts to those slopes? I was kind of thinking that if you exported the level as collision data and the visual part (can't recall what it's called at the moment, stupidly enough), and re-insert them like Dario is with the Unleashed levels, would it still re-import the scripted parts of those slopes? (Forgive me if I sound really stupid in saying that, I don't know anything about programming, really)

Also, you said that you want to map the Spin Attack to down on the D-Pad. Wouldn't that screw up general movement in the 3D sections of the game? I mean, what happens when you're not rushing and you just want to turn around?

11. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash

New Lenox, IL
    Generations Level (Experimenting)
    Hey, quick question about Unleashed PC for Dario and Twilight - I've read before (actually earlier on this thread, maybe it was even Dario that posted it) that in the files there's a simple command that allows X button homing attack - will you guys be enabling that? To be honest I'd prefer the homing attack on the X button - it was nice to have it as A in Generations, but.. I dunno, I'd kinda just prefer it like that. I think the reason they changed it to A was because the amount of 2D Platforming was increased, and with it as A you're able to jump forward whereas in Unleashed you would just boost midair. I apologize if this has been asked or even stated before but, I was just wondering.

12. Dario FF

Dario FF

IIRC last time Chimera tried to enable that all it did was give classic a homing attack on A by default(like, even on the hub world). It doesn't really do what it says. I haven't tried myself though.

13. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    I tried it myself, and it worked just fine, although I didn't bother testing out Classic Sonic at the time...

14. Dario FF

Dario FF

Well if it works fine for Modern it could just be an option when installing, along with the Unleashed drift animation.

Also, formats for light files(although they're pretty damn easy to figure out). Also Chimera added an Objects subsection to the guide, so I'll dump any particular info regarding objects there instead of keeping it on my head. :v:

15. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    It really depends on the slope, but before Generations was released, Polygon Jim did this to a few slopes in Green Hill Act 1 and it fucked them up pretty hard. Unfortunately there are some things in the game that have to stay scripted.

I didn't take that into account :v:. I guess it's staying on B then.

16. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Regarding X button homing: yeah, X button homing works for Modern Sonic; it makes him almost exactly as he was in Unleashed. However, Classic is a different story... It should be called "DefaultHoming" to be honest; that's essentially what it is. Also, homing attack spurs up a problem... Classic Sonic isn't easily able to navigate in 3D space and attacking enemies in 3D is tedious to say the least. Having a working spindash in 3D would make things easier, but since this fails to exist, we need another form of 3D navigation, which would be the homing attack. The Thunder barrier is a little to risky to have as Sonic's means for 3D navigation (double jump) because if you get hit you lose the shield, thus double jump won't be possible, hindering aspects of 3D platforming.

Now here's where the problem is... You can't have Homing Attack AND shields at the same time. Homing attack (and jump dash) overrides shield abilities. Therefore, Classic can't use the fire shield's boost, the thunder shield's double jump, or the bubble shield's bounce. If I were to take out the homing attack to allow these shield abilities to work, gameplay would be MUCH much more difficult, believe me.

There IS a way I could possibly have both, though... Either we (okay fine I) find out what in Generations' code controls looking for the "A" button to be pressed while in midair for the homing attack, and I remap that to the "X" button, then we can have proper X-button homing for Classic Sonic. OR, I could do the same, but for the shield abilities, so the shield abilities would end up being jump + X instead of jump + jump.

I mean, whatever works, right? :/

17. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    What are gte/gtm files? I opened up an archive that is full of them, and all of them associate with a skill.

ef_ch_snc_yh1_flamebarrier.gte
    en_ach_yh1_fire1.gtm
    ch_snc_yh1_flamebarrier1.gtm

18. synchronizer

synchronizer

I was comparing un-hacked versions of the games.

19. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    Generations has parts in the game where their are slopes where his feet get adjusted to the ground. And I thought the GTM and GTE files are for the effects like the animations of them.

20. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Generations' engine is the same as Unleashed; it only has improvements. The GAME ITSELF has some pros and cons in comparison to what Unleashed had, but overall nothing got taken out, and anything that did can be restored (I think).