don't click here

How would you redesign Sonic the Hedgehog?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Pulse, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arctides

Arctides

I am a bloated bag of hate. Oldbie
    Two years ago, after studying to emulate the style of Final Fantasy artist Yoshitaka Amano, I produced this:

[​IMG]

I think it should be made official.

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Hey, can we stop it with the retarded troll posts in this thread? In addition, can you please stop quoting and subsequently rimming every single design that gets posted in here? Because you know damn well that if SEGA had posted half these designs in this thread that you'd be up in fucking arms screaming like children.

Be realistic, be critical, and be reasonable.

3. The Pulse

The Pulse

GLUTHAWK, KING OF THE HAWKS Member
    I guess I should come out and say that I would really appreciate it if someone could maybe make a color version of either of these sketches;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll give all rights to the concept of GLUTHAWK, KING OF THE HAWKS to whoever colors either sketch.

4. I do think that Jof and Adamis have the right Ideas.

How they would work in-game is a whole other matter.

5. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    If I wanted a redesign for Sonic:
    [​IMG]
    Probably something like this.

Light hearted, cartoony, a video game, and simple. The classic designs do it for me because of how easy going and recognizable they are, they truly get the job done. Mickey Mouse is still a timeless icon, and he's kept his original design points for years. Sonic just got edgier and more extreme, and it shows from how forced his redesign looks. Indeed, to me it felt like an entirely new SEGA once Sonic nabbed the new "hipster" look and green eyes. Maybe if they kept the vibe Sonic Adventure set for that style I would appreciate it more, but the fact that the series has been absolutely EVERYWHERE with no obvious sense of direction just makes me detest it more and more. All the retarded ideas shoved into the later games doesn't help it out either. It felt like they had an idea for what the new Sonic should be, but after Sonic Heroes it's just been; excuse me what the fuck r u doin

Whether or not SEGA thinks Sonic is meant for kids, it attracted an entire generation of people from kids to adults. They should keep that thought in mind for now on. One of the reasons I'm very happy about Project Needlemouse.

6. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    I like this, a lot. It sort of reminds me of what Sonic's answer to a Windwaker sort of design aesthetic would be.

On that note, I totally wouldn't mind a Sonic game with WindWaker's cel shading style.

7. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Upgrade imminent:

[​IMG]

It was worth a shot!

8. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    For the record, I'm totally gay for Ross' Sonic design. I wouldn't want to see it in the games, but I'd love to see his redesigned Sonic crew in a new Sonic cartoon.

As for the games, I think that Lava Reef picture OSM posted nailed it right on the head.

9. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
    I fucked with Mercury's KH-type Sonic since I really liked the design:

[​IMG]

10. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Oh, absolutely. I'm glad you posted this; when he was putting this art in TheGHZ's art topic I totally had the "Wow, this guy should head the art design for Sonic" moment. In particular, this was another one of my favorites:

[​IMG]

If not general art design, just character design.

11. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    By all means, modify, I don't mind. In fact I like a little robust criticism. :)

I agree that there shouldn't be too many details. I'm really annoyed by some of the latest designs in Japanese games, they're just too crazy.

I have long since simplified the design (old pic is old), the gloves and shoes in particular. But I'll probably be keeping the zipper on his shirt - I really don't see him being able to pull it over that huge head of his! :v:

I was inspired by Yu-Gi-Oh, I wanted to give Sonic the same sort of look. When I first saw Yugi's hair, I was reminded of the Sonic CD cartoon.

(Of course you can probably tell I'm a Yu-Gi-Oh fan from my avatar...)

I'm glad so many like it, and that the Sonic CD vibe shows through (I tried so hard!). I'll have to show more soon...

12. RevFirst

RevFirst

Wow, these are definitely nice. I'd almost have these over Sonic's classic design. As for that "Kingdom Hearts" design, not a fan of it. :v:

13. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    I'm pretty sure the only real reason I don't like the Adventure-era designs is because of what I associate them with. When I first saw them, I thought they looked pretty cool, and they seemed to help define the way Sega were going with the Dreamcast. I can't imagine the classic design sitting very well alongside the less subdued, arcade visuals of Space Channel 5, Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi.

If they released a Sonic game that I really enjoyed, I probably wouldn't care too much what character design they used. Using a classic-style design would be a little bit of a nostalgic thrill, but if I didn't like the game I'd probably just stop associating the classic design with so many good things.

14. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    This. Honestly, the reason everybody here ended up hating the new one was the "sucky" new games. And as for "New Sonic has no sense of direction", I don't really think so, actually- he hardly does anything on his official art anyways.

15. RevFirst

RevFirst

Yeah. Sonic's quality went down the same time as his new friends showed up. Sega would now need to make a great game with the characters to prove that they're not the problem. Let's not go into details on they would manage that though.

16. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Yeah! Most Sonic games since Heroes have played like Jet Set Radio, why not make it look like it too?

17. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    [​IMG]
    :v:

18. RevFirst

RevFirst

Good one. [​IMG] Should have used "Shitty Friends™" instead.

19. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    While I'd still argue against that one, it would be harder to satirize, and therefore more correct from a logical standpoint, so you're right :v:

Learn the lesson, kids!

20. MastaSys

MastaSys

I think the addition of characters isn't THAT related with the drop of quality in Sonic games
    (They do that since, forever :v:)

We all know what it is, starts with an G and end with an Y...

...Oh wait...

Now seriously they can make like, even Big, an great character.
    I remember zapping one of the Sonic X episodes (yes THAT show), and see him drinking tea with an angry boring face like "Just leave me alone, I'm drinking my tea..."

Now that's cool...
    (...Or not.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.