don't click here

How would you redesign Sonic the Hedgehog?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Pulse, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    For christ's sake Sonic was chubby not obese.

2. MastaSys

MastaSys

^ Actually, on the third one, if you don't make the legs too far from each other and the belly a little bit less fat.
    I would like that for Project Needlemouse... Or an good tentative to blend designs.

3. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I was about to say, the third one doesn't look too bad. Maybe it's just that I don't like the green eyes, and I like the darker blue.

4. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    [​IMG]
    The huge blue side on his stomach irritated me. =P

5. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    I'd say you got it, but to be honest it still looks retarded to me. If you want a 3d Classic Sonic, the model used on that Sonic 2 ending video is perfect.

6. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

Thanks OSM, and LordofSquad, I'm flattered. I'm just curious though, why do you prefer my design for a cartoon rather than a game? Is it because he's just too tall?

7. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    If I were to redisign that Hedgehog, I combine the original, Americanized, and Current style we have today. Though what you guys showed so far is also good too.

8. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    One of my favorite Sonic fanarts, it reminds me a bit of Hayao Miyazaki's art too. Oh God, a Sonic movie made by him, I would shit my pants. :argh:

9. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    While I haven't completed my research on the subject, trying to make Sonic's body too round in 3D will often induce a fuglyness of over 3,000 Mega Bryces, however there is promising information
    It's not like there was a great deal of conformity within Sega, the only things that Space Channel 5 and Crazy Taxi have in common from a visual standpoint are saturated colors. If fact, saturated colors is about the only thing most of Sega's Dreamcast stuff has in common, and Sonic already had that much.

10. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    All thses Unleashed tweaks remind me of the Evolution chart. You know, the one that goes from humans to apes? :v:

11. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    In your thread in the creative works board, you've created fleshed out personalities for each of the characters that would shine best in a cartoon, rather than what's supposedly going to be a back-to-basics game where the emphasis is supposedly going to be on gameplay.

12. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    I need a source. PLEASE.

13. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
  14. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Wow, something interesting (and only slightly relevant) turned up on The GHZ recently:

[​IMG]

It's apparently from the Japanese Saturn S3DB manual. Turns out Uekawa's style predates even Sonic Adventure, though the game's Japanese release was delayed by 2 years after the initial US release for reasons unfathomable, so both games launched in the very same month. Surely someone must've noticed this before now? It's a bit of a mindfuck.

15. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I've seen that Sonic artwork a few times, but never the Knuckles and Tails. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but, it's interesting.

16. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Could this be a true hybrid of styles, perhaps?

17. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Since Sonic seems to be at least partially inspired by Laputa (Castle in the Sky), this would be a nice full circle sort of thing. Yuji Naka has admitted to being a Miyazaki fan in interviews, too.

I would sell half of my organs to get a Studio Ghibli Sonic movie (provided they didn't use B-list talent, like they did with Earthsea, which was okay but kinda meh).

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I knew about Sonic's hybrid style, but I had never seen those monstrosities Tails and Knuckles either.

Makes you wonder why they chose Uekawa instead of the awesome artist that made all the previous Sonic illustrations.

19. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    Seen those before, they're from the Japanese Sonic 3D manual. They even got an artwork of Eggman in it.

20. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    Isn't that a result of Project Sonic, SEGA's effort of releasing Sonic Jam/Sonic R/Sonic 3D/Sonic Adventure to try and get Sonic to be sellable in Japan? Makes sense they'd change the style, making them "hip 'n' cool" in a Japanese kind of fashion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.