don't click here

An official name for Sonic 2's desert

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Well I never, I'd always have thought of a cold place as a wasteland rather than a desert.

2. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    If I'm correct, the image is just negative'd (assuming it was originally black ink on white paper) and the black background was then removed. That produces a similar effect; I'm presuming it's what ICEknight does with his avatar, since both that Sonic and the other image he had as his SCARZ avatar (which looked suspiciously like Mother Bubbler concept art, though it may have been entirely unrelated) looked like they had had this effect applied.

3. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Well, look at the Sonic 1 Japanese instruction booklet. It's the same style on that Zone letters.

4. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Well I've never seen red specks outlining black text before :P

5. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Well, then... I dunno. =P It was just a thought. This topic's moving so fast at the moment, I didn't have time to actually check it out. XD

I suggest that a sensible thing to do would be to see how many of these post-image-translation questions raised are answered in ICEknight's next update. Then would be a good time to bring up any unanswered questions again. I mean, for hell's sake, it's only a week or two's wait.

6. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
  7. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

haha, that's so wierd, I was just about to link to the exact same pic! Those drawings are so adorable ^^

8. Wetflame

Wetflame

:D Banned
    Um... if this is the name for the zone, and not another zone, it still doesn't disprove "Dust Hill Zone" being a name for the desert level, it just means that like half the other levels in Sonic 2, it changed name during development.

That, and things change... that could just be something thrown up for concept art. But Iceknight enjoys making an ass out of all of us ;) He pulls this every frickin' time. It's not funny, it's not cool, it's not mysterious, it's annoying at this stage.

I sincerely doubt they only ever had one name for the levels that weren't changed between beta and final.

And if it *is* something along the lines Sand Stone Zone - what about the Snow part of the level? It seems to me that this name would be pre-the conception of that.

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    So the real name is Desert Zone? XD. I was going to make a hack with that zone under the name Desert Zone as to prove the name wasn't Dust Hill. Who wouldve known that was correct! XD.

Seriously ICEKnight, I hope a lot of people will STFU now that we know the truth. 2005 is THE year for the Sonic Community!

EDIT: Drop it Wetflame. Now that we know the truth, we don't need pointless theories bumping us off topic and confusing other people.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    With that sentence, you're the only one making an ass out of himself. Now if you don't have anything constructive to say I suggest you leave this topic since I don't want any flames, understood?

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wow, I see you guys are finding more info than I was supposed to unveil yet! You're very good at noticing those little details!

By the way, as far as I know this has nothing to do with the snow/winter level, and I still don't have a clue on that level's official name.

Oh, and about the negative image, colors, etc, what Knux said. It looks blue-ish because I changed the hue thingies with PSP.

12. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Some fancy kanji isn't proof until we see where and when it's come from. Though I do agree 2005 is the year for the Sonic Community :P

13. Wetflame

Wetflame

Argh! This angers me. It's not TRUTH. I could pull up a level select from Sonic 2 Beta and say that proves Emerald Hill Zone is really called Green Hill, but it wouldn't make logical sense.

Iceknight, your attitude in general annoys me. I'm sick of you being so smug and talking over her heads. You didn't tackle one of my points. Unless you have some quote saying that Dust Hill was definitely just a name for Mystic Caves, and not a revised name for Desert Zone (Since it's *far* too simplistic for most the Sonic 2 Zones, and if it ever was going to be used), all it is is evidence, not proof.

Stop acting like one piece of evidence proves you right, as logically, it doesn't. It's a nasty psychological trick and I'll thank you not to try it.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Couldn't care less, go away.

15. Wetflame

Wetflame

Stop trying to coax me on. You know very well arrogant one line replies set me off.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You still here?

17. Wetflame

Wetflame

You're trying to set me off with "calm" replies, so I look wrong and you look right. Coy. Now, if you want to be right, just post your proof now and get it over with. No more hoarding.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Somebody split the bitching tomorrow, please.

19. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I do see your point. However, this IS proof that at one point in development, The Desert Zone was called Desert Zone. True, it is possible that the name might've changed at one point or another, but we do not know. What we DO know about the naming of zone's is:

At an earlier stage in development, EHZ was named Green Hill Zone.
    At an earlier stage in development, ARZ was called Neo Green Hill Zone.
    At an earlier stage in development, MCZ was called Dust Hill Zone.
    At an earlier stage in development, The Desert Zone was called Desert Zone.

This is all true, and there is evidence to prove it. As ICEKnight said, he does not know the name of the snow level yet. We COULD guess as to what the name might be, but it will probably turn into another "Desert level = Dust Hill?" argument.

EDIT: Edited the last bit because it was irrelevant.

20. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    I think Wetflame is right with his first sentence, that's what I was thinking too since the beginning (I hope this is not under the instruction booklet...etc)

ICEknight, don't think I'm (and we are) agreeing with your find so easily. Like every n00bs that can debunk theories or make false alarms, I don't give a damn about your discovery until you prove it and makes sources clear. The desert zone may be called Desert zone, but how about the cave zone (if there is one where you found this information), again Dust Hill zone?

I can't wait for your update, I'm sure you will explain yourself very well.