don't click here

An official name for Sonic 2's desert

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Jan 7, 2005.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That's what I'm gonna do, but I have to prepare the update and I still want to know if I can get more info before doing it.

Yeah, but that's only because I think it looks cool that way, nothing related to this. ;)

2. Frigidare

Frigidare

Above picture copyright of IFG Publications Member
    Fancy telling us how to pronounce it? My attempt has failed ;)

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Ok ok, here's a clue.
    English<->Japanese dictionary

Just enter the title names you think (check the "use only commonly used words" box) and see if you can find this kanji. Please note that the caligraphy here is kinda terrible, specially in the first symbol of the two.

4. Frigidare

Frigidare

Above picture copyright of IFG Publications Member
    Ah, so it's kanji. Thanks for the tip :P

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Just found an even easier way to get the answer, here.

6. Simon

Simon

Oldbie
    Aaahh.... is this from official source? The name would be very reasonable given the circumstances.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Sure, official source like always! ;)

8. Trigger

Trigger

Pending Member
    And now that all the fuss, arguements, theories, handbag-slapping, cake-throwing, nipple-scratching catfights surrounding this zone's mystique are over, it turns out to be this? Aiee!

Oh dear, I feel all funny, like when you have sand in your plain ol' underpants.

Still, you deserve a thousand congratulations and dancing naked people ICEknight dearest. Well done for being a persistent little cherub!

9. Simon

Simon

Oldbie
    As long as we can be sure this is the most up-to-date "name", ever, for the level, this debate may finally be able to come to an end after so many years.

I look forward to reading your update, ICEknight.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Well, it's very possible that it got a name change if it was ever implemented in the game... But we don't even know it that ever happened, so this might be the only name it was ever given.

11. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Argh all I can't find is the first and last letters, that wierd leaning T thing I can't find :'(
    I think ? and ? are the first and last letters, I could easily be wrong though :P

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Well... Maybe it's just me but I don't think you need more than the first and last kanji when you're looking for a two-symbol word... =|

13. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Well excuse me for not being some leet japanese speaker :P

EDIT: Translated those 2 things I found, and got "Stone to wind"
    Stone to wind Zone!? xD

14. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I translated them and got "Stone mosquito curtain"

Yup, I suck.

15. magraimon

magraimon

A superficial anomaly of the human psyche! Member
    OMG DUST HILL <shot>

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Sorry if that sounded rude, I said it because it was previously mentioned that the word consisted in two symbols (even though it does indeed look like it has three due to the horrible handwriting).

EDIT: By the way... Guys, it's much easier to look for a Japanese translation of what you think it could be, rather than looking for similar kanji and then translating it into English. ;)

17. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    You lot got more than I got. The dictionary was broken and the translator got nothing. Mind helping us out?

18. ...
    Great. The final name is worse than Dust Hill or Desert. ;)
    Is it really "Sand Curtain Zone"? Maybe there's more to the game play of the level than we know...

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...It's not "Sand Curtain Zone". =\

Qjimbo's letters aren't exactly right.

20. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Wow, this is suddenly a turnaround. o_o; I'm not going to make a guess, but I'm certainly watching on with interest.

On topic, though; ICEknight, when you say Qjimbo's letters "aren't exactly right", I'm presuming this means that only one of them is wrong? That would make sense, considering he has the word 'Sand' in there. Either that, or it's just a freaky coincidence which seems right. =P

EDIT: ..And the posts seem to lean toward the 'freaky coincidence' verdict. XD Well, post, since Ketsuban's the only one who's posted since at the time of this edit. Not that anyone reads edits, anyway.

Why am I even bothering to type this, come to think of it?