don't click here

xm3smps: now with more Visual Basic

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by nineko, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    So is Sonic, but does that stop all of us?

2. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Yay..more problems X_X

This one is with tempo. Often times, I can't get the SMPS to flay at the same speed as the XM file. It's either too fast, or two slow. Unfortunately for these particular songs, that's not gonna cut it. I also seem to have trouble changing the XM's tempo as well :/

Also, a suggestion. There needs to be an option to remove voices once you've added them. Like say I added the wrong voice on accident. Well now it's stuck there, and I have to rearrange the pointers and all that.

As for as the Yamaha files go, I made YMX banks out of the lot. I can upload them if needed.

3. <!--quoteo(post=175297:date=Jan 5 2008, 11:13 AM:name=nineko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nineko @ Jan 5 2008, 11:13 AM) [​IMG]
    [/quote]

Win <3

4. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Isn't it? It should be put in and kept in.

I would like to know, is it possible to make something with nothing but PSGs?

5. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    This is because Sonic 1's SMPS has a limited choice when it comes to tempo. Not my fault, as it also happens when you port a song from Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

I will look into this.

Yes. You can also make a song with 0 channels if you want. While it's stupid, it's still a legit channel setup (it is actually rendered as a 0100 with an F2'd DAC).

6. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Strange, I tried making one with 4 PSGs, but it ended up sounding like nothing...

7. nineko

nineko

italy
    4 PSGs is impossible, as the SMPS format allows only for 3 (either 3 melodic or 2 + noise).
    You probably did something wrong.

8. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Oops, error, I meant 3 PSGs and 1 FM

9. nineko

nineko

italy
    I know that AIM chatlogs are discouraged on this forum, but I just want to clarify to other people that my converter actually works.

edit: cleared Hitaxas's actual screen name for privacy as it's not on his profile.

10. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    *palmface*

11. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

*palmface onto self* yeah... well, I fixed my problem. I changed the screen to play music97 and extended the frames the screen stays up.

12. nineko

nineko

italy
    Sorry for the late reply, I just noticed this.
    I don't like Visual Basic, either. Born with a Commodore 16 in my hands, I just love oldschool stuff, and I think QBasic (and MS-DOS) is much better than Visual Basic (and Windows). However, I'm comfortable with both of them, and I don't really think that the syntax is terrible, I actually think that Basic is easier than any other programming language, I think it really depends on what you're being used to. I know C++, X86 assembly (learning 68K!), Pascal, and several other languages, but when I program in Basic I feel at 127.0.0.1 home! :D

As a side note (since this topic is already derailed enough), xm3smps is written in Visual Basic 5, not 6.

13. Yeah, I guess it depends on what you're used to - the first few programming languages I used were curly bracket programming languages, so I've become very used to that syntax style (though I love both Ruby and Lua, which don't use it). 68k assembly is an awesome language, and I kinda like C as well (though the Windows API makes me puke).

14. nineko

nineko

italy
  15. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Those actually sound like good ideas. As well as the option to move voices up and down on the list there. All for convenience sake really, even though there are workarounds.

Also, how about allowing other output formats? Like say I'm working on S3K and would rather use it's music engine instead of Sonic 1s.

Also, good on you for having support for files like Sonic 3's universal voice bank. that's gonna come in handy a whole bunch (Since the Yamaha set lacks a decent amount of Bass voices, and the UVB is chock full of them)

16. nineko

nineko

italy
    No.

Long overdue, I had Sonic 2 and Sonic 3&K in my mind since version 0.1, this will definitely come at a certain point, not sure when, it will be probably after I do that heavy edit to the output engine I mentioned above, as right now it's not flexible enough. Erik JS's Music Pointer Fixer will be your friend in the mean time.

However, thanks for the suggestions! I'm glad to see some feedback after all.

edit: as of now, January 8th 2008, the "copy/paste hex voice" feature is working. Go me.

17. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    First post here. Bundy's the name, shoe sellings the game. But enough about me(scored 4 touchdowns in one game ;)

I have been trying to use this program ever since its first release to no avail. Even a past release that I was told by Tweaker on irc fixed my problem doesn't seem to help at all. I can't use this program at all unless I have all files mentioned throughout this topic(the dlls and ocxs) in the same folder as the program. Else it doesn't open and brings an error up with a bunch of nonsense numbers. Now, it does open when I have all the files with it as I said, so I just stick it in system32 where everything should be(I have ALL files mentioned by nineko, and have even downloaded various things claiming to be Visual Basic 5.0 Run-Time Files) but then when I try to open an xm it just says "some kind of error happened".

Again, I have all files mentioned through this topic. And I downloaded this thing:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q180071/
    ...thinking it would help me further, but it just refuses to go any further. I just want to know if there is any help for me at all here? Obviousl somethings wrong on my end here but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is when I appear to have everything. Is there some sort of definite file I can download that will provide me with every single thing I need to make any VB5 application run? Because that surely seems to be the issue as I can't imagine what else it is.

I'm sorry for this being my first post, begging for help and all, but I really want to know what's going on, and I know aswell others seem to have issues too. So it would be nice to know if there is one source for VB5 files that will satisfy whatever it is this program wants. I wouldn't be going on this long if I didn't want to stress I have tried downloading everything mentioned and suggested to no avail.

Any help much appreciated. And thanks nineko, regardless of this working or not for me, as I can see it truly is a fruitful project that has advanced the hacking scene.

18. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Have you tried the compatibility settings?
    Right click the XM3SMPS icon, go to properties then compatibility.
    Try running it under 2000 compatibility I've had similar problems with XM3SMPS & that fixed it all up. Hope that helps you.

19. nineko

nineko

italy
    Shoemanbundy: I don't know what is causing it. The best thing we can do is to discuss it in some messaging program (IM me, I couldn't find your name on your profile) or on irc, I may send you a modified test version to find out what's wrong. I've yet to set up proper error messages according to the error type (like, disk full, not a valid XM, etc.), I hope I can do that for the next release.
    No u. I have XP SP2 and it works just fine.

See, this is why I hate to work under the Windows environment. There's always something that can fuck it up. I may discontinue xm3smps and go back to the ms-dos version...

20. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Unfortunately compatibility settings didn't work, as nineko guessed. Thanks for the idea though. I'm trying to talk with nineko now on irc so we can sort this out. I hope somehow we can resolve this so any other people with issues can get to use this program too ;)

And I just want to say right here that I really don't think canceling the vb version of this program won't exactly benefit everyone, even if there are issues for a few. And I certainly don't want to become the person who made this version get canceled! So ya, don't jump ahead with that idea as there are plenty of us who prefer the gui as opposed to ms-dos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.