don't click here

xm3smps: now with more Visual Basic

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by nineko, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Also, I'd like to add that hiding the program only shortens it's lifespan. Somebody WILL come out with something better somewhere down the road. The more people you get using your program, the longer life it will have, even after a better program comes out. However if a bunch of people aren't using it because they don't know about it, you're killing it off. And once it's no longer the #1 choice in the community, it won't really matter much what websites host it. Everything dies sooner or later.

That's why I made the Sonic 2 Hacking Guide Personal Edition -- it allowed me to spread it around after SHaC was gone and therefore extend the life of the guide. Nemesis has a guide that became a very strong competitor to mine, and with the community moving towards ASM stuff, I knew the guide's lifespan was shortening. Had I not had a way to still get it out there, it may have died off sooner than it did. Everyone has pride of some sort, but I wouldn't let that stand in the way of your potential success.

2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Incidentally, you should see if you can get Shiru and Devster to see if they can give a greenlight to releasing the stuff in TFM tracker along with your program. That would likely solve a lot of problems with poor voice use, since nearly all of them are quite high-quality.

I often just use theirs when working with TFM and very rarely bother creating my own.

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    ...what? As an app coder, I fail to see the logic here. If you put something on the internet somewhere, it can end up everywhere - being hosted on odd sites shouldn't be bothering you as you released it in the first place! Hell, I know just about every STE upload has been done by someone other than me =P

Also, the Soviets there basically just seem to take what the English community has done and put it in Russian so I wouldn't fret about them that much.

Also, what saxman and Tweaker said.

4. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    For the third time, I was okay with the Russian forum. I may actually register there to post the latest version, as the one uploaded there is outdated.

5. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Am I to understand everyone using this program has service pack 2 for windows xp? Does anyone have sp1 and it works? Seeing as I can't get it working at all no matter what I try, I'm considering switching to sp2 but not before I know if anyone else with sp1 has got it to work, as I have had bad experiences with sp2 and don't wanna switch over if it can be avoided.

6. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    I've got it to work in linux under WINE and I've got it working under Windows 2000. If it runs under Windows 2000 (pre-service pack ANYTHING), it should run under SP1. What errors are you getting specifically?

7. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    What kind of errors? Let me tell you. "Some kind of error happened" Whenever I try to open an xm I get this. Nineko did try to help once before, but nothing seemed to solve it. And if the author can't help you, you pretty much lose hope... I tried installing vb5 packs, putting the files within the same folder as the program, registering the ocx files, anything. Nothing works.

8. STE

STE

Well, usually I get that error when the .xm file is simply too big, but if that isn't the problem, I can't help. :\

9. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Ok, so does any have a site with .xi files so I can convert a midi file? I have no idea where to find them and you need them to actually have any channels in the converted xm.

Thanks ;)

10. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    So I've installed SP2, and have all the files registered and anything you can think of. It still says "some kind of error happened" on every single xm, except one. I thought size may be an issue, so I got one xm that's 2kb(including a 4kb one and a bit above, but those ones get that same error). This 2kb file actually seems to react different, appearing to load but then, of course, an error.

Run-time error '381'
    Invalid property array index

I don't know if it would help at all towards why others won't load, but I'd thought this might be something to look into since I haven't seen this error reported yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.