don't click here

Things in Sonic Games you misinterpreted when you were younger...

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Ollie, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    I didn't have too many misinterpretations growing up. This could be, in part, only having Nintendo systems, despite my strong interest in Sonic. (Used to watch the shows, get all the merchandise, etc. but I never got a Genesis/ Saturn until I was out of Middle School.)

This does lead me to being pissed that Knuckles was replacing Tails when I first saw the McDonalds toys for Sonic & Knuckles, thinking that Knuckles was a female hedgehog and Sonic's new beau, and all sorts of misconceptions of Sonic 1 and 2 when I finally got to pick my first Sonic game (SA2B).

Yes, I feel stupid, awesomely stupid. =P

ETA: Even when I was playing Sonic 1/2/3&K...

I feel like an idiot because I still thought the blue thing was a Sonic clone XD

I also thought that CNZ platform was a jelly roll (how don't ask me)

I got stuck on that damn barrel too

As soon as I got a Genesis and the games, they announced Mega Collection (that made me rage for a while, but hey, I have Echo and Golden Axe as well)

I thought Hidden Palace could be accessed by getting all 7 emeralds. I was also in the camp of Tails was the Guardian for a while. :specialed:

2. Monochrome

Monochrome

United Kingdom
    Colour Sonic hacks
    I just remembered that I used to think that the opening bit of Shadow's theme music from SA2 was made by strangling somebody. :psyduck: Why I thought that I don't know.

I must also admit that I thought the platforms in CNZ (3) were lava, and that the noise they made sounded like the word 'lava'. Again, I don't know what made me think that. I'm just retarded :specialed:

3. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    Oddly, I don't recall ever encountering the Tails scroll death glitch as a child, nor the Tails appearances in CNZ as Sonic alone. The latter probably because I died often, but the former, I dunno. Maybe I just didn't play Sonic 3 alone much?

Ah, that one. Works very much so, emulators should have a "shake cart" function :D (which I made a mockup of once, and prod GS to add to Gens/GS

That's pretty clever. I never had one of those carts though.

4. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

I never read manuals. Come to think og it, it's something I don't do now.

*I thought there were two Knuckles, one evil and one nice, because they had different coloured socks. I had two teories for the evil one. The first was that he was an evil twin. The second was that he was a robot like Metal Sonic, but constructed so well that it passed as a legit animal (partly inspired by some movie back then no doubt). It was Eggman's plan for Sonic and Knuckles never to team up against him and even if they did, Sonic would attack Knuckles thinking he was robot Knuckles, not nice Knuckles.

*Someone mentioned the red spheres for Knuckles. Glad I'm not the only one. I also thought that the yellow ones were for Tails to pick Sonic up and fly him smewhere. It was just a one time though.

*I thought Angel Island was the name of the zone and Floating Island was the name of AI. It didn't strike me as weird since there was water everywhere (even carrying to the next level) and it very well be an island.

*The Roller, I also thought it was an enemy done in Sonic's image. Since I played S3&K first, when I played S1 I thought it was a prototype of Metal Sonic. When I played S2 I got confused. I had two theories, either Eggman had been surprised and still hadn't painted Metal yet or there were two models for Metal Sonic. I didn't call him metal either, I'd call them Grey Sonic Robot and Blue Sonic Robot.

*The first time we see Eggman, he's inside his machine so I childishly assumed that since he was so round on the top that maybe he was round on the the bottom too and he fit cosily into the machine. How right I was. :specialed:

5. I'm guessing you mean "Hy-DROSS-ity", and yes that's how I will always pronounce it.

6. I always misinterpreted Tails' yawning animation in Sonic Chaos (GG) as him eating something, I thought it was bread :P

7. n00neimp0rtant

n00neimp0rtant

EYES ONLY Member
    South Park, PA
    Creation Kit (Skyrim mods and patches)
    Oh my god...the buck teeth killed me...as hard as I'm trying I can't see it...maybe if I look at the original scaled-down one.

8. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    I used to believe Tails and Knuckles were girls, and I had a dozen theories for Knuckles' species. At first I thought he was a mole, then an evil demon hedgehog, then a dachshund and then a human. My cousin used to say he was Ryu from Street Fighter in an animal suit. I also thought Tails was a cat the first time I saw him on AoStH because the artist of AoStH can't draw foxes he had pointy ears and looked like a retarded Loony Toons reject. Then I thought he was a squirrel because he could fly and I didn't know his name was Tails because he had two tails, in fact, I thought he had one he spun really fast. Then I saw the back of the 'Sonic and Knuckles collection' and thought he had seven tails because the back of the CD case boxart looked weird to me back then. I've long since lost the case so I can't go back and look at what I missed. I also thought he walked on four legs until I saw that boxart and was Sonic's pet.

I did't even find out 'Robotnik's real name until later. I thought it was 'Robotic'. Go figure.

9. Otama Sanshiro

Otama Sanshiro

~Phantom of Blue~ Member
    I thought Sonic was a playable character in Streets of Rage.

Ditto.

10. Doppelgengar

Doppelgengar

I still think they are.

11. CalamityJames

CalamityJames

Toot Toot Sonic Warrior Member
    Tunbridge Wells, Kent
    Paying customs charges from Japan ¬_¬
    +1 :D

12. Chaos Knux

Chaos Knux

Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down. Banned
    Add another.

13. Uncle Otis

Uncle Otis

Uses too many goddamn commas Member
    I thought the floater platform gimmicks in Carnival Night were giant bags of popcorn, but I guess that's not too far off from what they really are (giant balloons).

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

That's nothing. Go see the topic about that platform and count the number of people that thought it was lava.

15. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    In Sonic 2 the developers thought that HTZ's reused art would be too far into the game for players to notice.

As a 5 year old: "Whoa, this place looks alot like EHZ, but it's high up. Oh, so this is what was in those mountains in the Emerald Hill background!"

16. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    :thumbsup: I don't know why, but ever since I was a kid I had a habit of trying to determine a game's world map by looking at the art and I still think that's the case with Hill Top.

And I will swear up and down that the cliff Knuckles stands on in Sonic 3 to push a button that makes Tails and Sonic fall to Hydrocity leads to Marble Garden.

17. Blitz

Blitz

¬.¬ Member
    UK
    The HedgehogHack (On hold)
    Meh, I always thought that the mountains in ARZ was HTZ in the distance.

I also used to think that Robotnik was pronounced, Robo-nik, and that Eggman was a cheap rip-off Robotnik.

18. On this note, I thought that those mountains were the buildings from CNZ...just in the distance and not flashy cause it was day time.

In fact...I STILL believe this! :P

19. Playing Sonic 2 on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection reminded me of a few other things I misinterpreted.. This might sound strange, but when I was younger, I thought the green, moving obstacles in Mystic Cave Zone were huge turds.

I don't exactly know what they are, to this day, but to my immature child mind, they were turds.

I thought the cannons that shot you across the stage in Oil Ocean Zone were giant disco balls.

Also.. I knew what the chaos emeralds were, but I always thought they looked a lot like multicolored gushers.. Weird, right?

20. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    When I was little I thought that Tails in 3D Blast was an entirely different squirrel character called Flicky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.