don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Wouldn't be an issue if SEGA had some sort of archive of their own assets that licensed devs would have to pull from if they were not making their own.
    Stuff like Sonic Speed Simulator definitely has to rely on asset rips from Models and Textures resource - their animal capsule model (when they had one) was a rip from the Statue Room in Sonic Generations and nobody thought to remove the base stand.
    As far as the issue itself goes, not everyone can have intimate knowledge or time to double-check whether something that looks official (many things do) actually is. I can't imagine scrolling 10 pages of results on Google trying to find official sources because you're given a "Good luck!" from the people who would normally provide those resources is a really good use of work time either. Even someone you'd expect NOT to fall victim to these issues - the guy working on the Sonic 3 Origins sprites - did.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
  3. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    On par with Roger's Twitter basically being Sonic's Twitter page if Sonic was real[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. cartridgeculture

cartridgeculture

Wiki Contributor Member
    EDIT: Nevermind! Keep an eye on any Sonic X-treme related pages in the coming weeks, we're going to be a documenting a ton more ;)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2023
  5. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

I was digging through the Models Resource page on the Wii version of Sonic Colors and found something interesting: it features at least two unused spring variants, both of which also appear in Unleashed.
    [​IMG]
    Spring #1 is a blue spring and jump panel, which all of us should recognize as appearing in many levels in Unleashed to trigger QTEs. Colors gets rid of the Unleashed-style QTEs, but this suggests they might've been planned at some point. I can think of three possible places they'd be used:
    • The scripted wall jump sequence towards the beginning of Starlight Carnival Act 1
    • To bridge the gap between Planet Wisp Acts 1 and 4 when they were originally one long level, ahead of being split
    • The space areas in Asteroid Coaster where you have to use the homing attack on springs on asteroids rather than break the asteroids
    [​IMG]
    Spring #2 is the thorn spring, also known as that really fucking annoying spring with spikes from Jungle Joyride in Unleashed. This is the one where I have absolutely no theories as to where it could've been used.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
  6. BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Tech Member
    I don't think they're there because they were planned to be used. They're probably left-overs due to Sonic Colours using the same engine as Sonic Unleashed Wii.

7. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

Colors doesn't use the Unleashed SD engine. It's seemingly based on the Secret Rings/Black Knight codebase, as the layout format, scripting files, and physics engine are the same, and it shared a good chunk of staff (including Kishimoto as lead designer/director). I don't think it shares any code with the Wii version of Unleashed, which was made by a separate team - and I don't believe the thorn springs appear in the SD version at all (but they DO appear in Secret Rings!).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Unidasu

Unidasu

Of all things to change, Sonic & Knuckles Collection features a completely different palette for the Glowing Spheres Bonus Stage. The original game features a palette that cycles through the different colors of the rainbow, whereas the PC version instead opts for a hot pink/purple/blue palette cycle.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 12
    • List
  9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    This is the result of a bug and you can take a guess why this is happening just looking at the screenshots: the game is applying the rotating palette used for the spheres to the background

EDIT: I take this back slightly; the game is certainly applying a wrong palette but it's also applying the same wrong palette to the spheres. I'm not sure where the palette they are using comes from

Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  10. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I had a hunch from the moment I read this, and it's correct: the game is reading the palette with the wrong byte order, and as a result red and blue are swapped and green is discarded. The reason this happens is because this is a rare instance (possibly the only one) of the game storing an animated palette in a compressed format, and the people who made the PC port did not redo the file to swap the byte order (it's identical to the MD version), nor did they perform a swap at runtime. It's extremely easy to fix, like most of the issues with the port. Thanks for pointing it out to me!

Edit: and here's a mod to fix it!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 8
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  11. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    The page on Cyber Space is missing several references.

1-3 is based on Windmill Isle Day Act 2 (2D segments)
    2-3 is based on Unleashed Rooftop Run Day Act 1 (2D segments)
    3-4 is based partly on Windmill Isle Day Act 3 -- though oddly the second segment of that level shows up as an island transition, rather than part of cyber space. Weird!
    3-5 is based on Savannah Citadel Day Act 2

The rest of the levels, the ones in world 4, are not as immediately obvious in their sources but I have a few guesses:

4-2 certainly looks like Generations Speed Highway Act 2's 3D segments. There's a wall-running segment that looks lifted, the zipline hooks seem to mostly match the location of the helicopter, and there's one path through the stage that looks to match the building-running descent.

4-3 is probably Generations Seaside Hill Act 2's 3D segments. I can definitely recognize at least two areas that look like it come from there, but it's one of the looser interpretations if so.

In both of the previous cases one of the challenges is that I think, given that the source stages were incredibly dense with branching paths, the cyberspace versions are much simpler and only have a few of them. While I can find routes in both that seem to match the stages in question, they're not always the most common ones taken either due to not being the fastest route or lacking red rings.

4-4 is a weird one. It's not immediately obvious to me what it could be, but it doesn't look totally original. I'm not the only one getting Planet Wisp vibes from it, but it's not directly lifted from any level in Colors, though it's been a while since I've played it in Generations.

4-5 does seem to be genuinely original, and it's a much simpler stage than 4-4.

4-7 is almost certainly the first half of Radical Highway, edited down slightly. It's been more remixed than the second-half part that was seen earlier in the game, but basically every part of the stage was predictable to me based on it.

4-8 is probably original but can't help but remind me of a different 3D path through Generations' Seaside Hill.

4-9 also seems to be genuinely original and is again a pretty simple stage.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
  12. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

Tee Lopes has dropped a new remix of Jungle Zone:

13. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    It's fantastic! My favorite 8-bit remix from him is still the Scrap Brain one, in which he extracted the absolute most of the emotion the original track had; but this one is pretty neat.

14. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    So the SatAM series got re-released on DVD recently and... apparently it's trash.

Another video that reviews the set and the Sonic Underground set that was released by the same company.

Really sucks that this series couldn't get a more proper re-release like AoStH did, but alas... all the more reason to hold onto the Shout Factory set if you have it.

15. Turbohog

Turbohog

That's a shame. The Shout Factory release felt like a real event when it was released. I still have my copy and it's obvious it was made with a lot of love. Only way I can see that release being superseded is via an "SD on Blu-ray" release.

16. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    First dude just talking about SATAM seems to think the Ncirlcle guy meant Ncircle would have to spend thousands of dollars doing a remaster when he meant Wildbrain - the Rightsholders - would have to spend thousands of dollars on a remaster of their actual footage and give Ncircle that footage in the first place. And as far as that's concerned, I'm pretty sure Discotek went out of their way to find better sources for Adventures themselves compared to what Wildbrain had. I can't even be sure Wildbrain has any worthwhile masters of any of the shows either. And there's no guarantee the people producing the remaster wouldn't crop each series to widescreen and apply bad filters to it or something.

Basically this guy is annoying, these releases are dumb, but not because Ncircle has it out for collectors who obsess over video quality or produce industry-standard DVD menus and use what they're given and what they're given is too shit to actually benefit from being on the other format.

IDK. I will never be truly happy until Wildbrain does proper remasters and sends them off to their licensors and reorders every series to be in the correct order (Especially Sonic Underground), but they won't because they're too busy with literally anything else, so this is all business as usual. (But it would be epic if Ncircle got the Mega Man Fully Charged license and did a blu ray release of that :) )

17. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    Wait wait wait...

DvDs still not dead?

18. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    DVD > shitty streaming services

19. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    That's too bad about the SatAM set. I wanted to pick up the rest of the shows after having gotten the Sonic X set a few months ago (especially since the AoStH and Boom sets both look great). I do have the Shout! SatAM DVDs, but if there was a newer set that I could have without Penders' iffy artwork on the front (and my gross, old fanart on the back of season 2, which looked okay at the time, but I kinda hate it now; Adamis' art on the back of the main box will always look excellent though, it's worth hanging onto for that alone), that would be great. Maybe in a few more years there will be a better quality release, but I guess until then I've still got the ~15-year-old DVDs.

20. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Probably because the Sonic community was the reason it happened, and was basically Sonique and the SatAM fanbase's magnum opus.