don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Dunno, but Player 2 in that video sucked major ass. I don't think they even knew how to play.

2. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
  3. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Both players on that were terrible, that was actually pretty painful to watch.

4. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    I get deja vu a lot, so I have no idea if this has been mentioned before or if I just feel like it has...

Has anyone noticed that in Sonic CD, all of the badniks are bugs of some kind? Whereas in the other Sonics the levels are teeming with mice, monkeys, rhinos, armadillos, frogs, and fish, in Sonic CD they're all bugs to a man.

They even go so far as to recast existing types as bugs. Instead of bats, in CCZ we get moths with similar behaviour. In SSZ and MMZ we get pillbugs that roll up instead of armadillos. And the leaping/swimming fish have been replaced with lobsters (which to be fair aren't exactly bugs, but are close enough.)

Even the missing Round 2 has an Antlion enemy... It seems to me the "buggy" nature of Sonic CD's badniks must have been intentional, but it makes me wonder why.

5. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    They are not bugs, they are features!

(sorry, I couldn't resist. Watch this post being trashed in 3, 2, ...)

6. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    They aren't just bugs, but they are cool and cute bugs!

Most bugs in the nature are disgusting and scary.

I know you are one of the biggest Sonic CD fans out there, so you should have discovered that the enemies are bugs a long time ago (you probably had). I discovered it back in 1995 while I was really in a Sonic CD craze.

The coolest thing with the Sonic CD enemies (except they have different quality to them between time travel) in my book is the fact that some bugs appear on multiple levels (like Stardust Speedway and Metallic Madness) but using different colors, and even crazier when some of those bugs (talking about the larva that rolls) only appears in one section of Metallic Madness 2 present.

7. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    What is the romanization of ??????????? — "Sonic to Himitsu no Ring"?

Is the romanization of ?????????? "Sonic to Ankoku no Kishi" (which is almost what the wiki has)?

8. E102

E102

"γ" Member
    Right on both counts. Might I introduce you to the likes of Kamus and Wiktionary?

9. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Random Tidbit about Unleashed (HD):

In Cool Edge Act 1, you can make Sonic do a flip when getting into the second bobsled. I never exactly figured out what exactly makes it happen, but it seems to happen when I'm mashing the X (360) button while Sonic is hopping into it. I'm sure people have noticed this, but it hasn't been mentioned in the topic yet.

10. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    So, was watching a speedrun today and stumbled upon something:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUrir6FKvJ0&feature=player_detailpage#t=20s
    (go to 0:20)

Obviously known since it was used in a speedrun, d'oh, but still, mindfuck :psyduck: How was I meant to know that switch made a platform appear?! I guess that explains the spike row at least...

11. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Yeah I discovered that when I was looking at level maps of the game my last playthrough and I was wondering, "wait, what?".

Bastard evaded me for 20 years! Crazy how I always seem to find something new about classic Sonic games compared to other game series.

12. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    Holy fuck.

I've never found that in 20 years of playing the game. Along with the big rings in S3K, it really proves that Yasuhara was a gifted level designer, who created levels that were intened to be enjoyed for years.

13. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    I just found out about this in a completely different way, and was directed here by andlabs after I mentioned it on IRC. This issue with the Azure Lake song is due to it using a wrong voice index -- it has 5 voices (0-4) in its voice bank, but requests voice $2D for this particular segment. This gives a "voice" somewhere around channel FM5 of Balloon Park song. So it is broken, yes... Voice 0 from the Azure Lake voice bank gives almost exactly (as far as I could tell by ear) what you listed in your other post as what it "should" look like, but all the other voices in that bank give a very similar result.

14. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    There's also the possibility Sega deliberately did it as a last minute "we don't want these notes in the song" hack... but still x_X

15. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    So, you know that bug in the Sonic 3 version of Data Select, that after some (long) time will make one of the instruments break and sound like a loud xylophone? Well, I recorded it out of boredom... and noticed it only plays in the right speaker :psyduck:

16. That was the only way to get Mecha Sonic through this level. :P

But yeah, this is one secret I had no idea of till fairly recently. Pretty amazing.

17. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

I was embarassed that one time without knowing about the door leading to the Special Ring in Lava Reef Zone but I've escaped unscathed this time.

18. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    The Sonic 3 competition players have their own complete code, and even if they feel wierd to play because, they are possibly more Sonic 2 than Sonic 3, and they are most likely programmed by Naka himself.

I was very interested in seeing how a mini player would perform on normal levels, and with some extended debugging to fix main crashes (not all of them) this is basically a demonstration that is works:

19. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I can't believe I spent hours editing this stage in SonED2 without noticing this, not to mention the years I've spent playing this.

20. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I thought the pot breaking sound was quite generic, it also sounds like the 3D Zelda ones.

The siren at the end of Adventure 2 and Sonic 4 are the same though, it was a re-used intentional sound, seeing as they also used that games menu button sounds and clicks.

I have NEVER seen that before in all my life. All the times I debugged, all the hours spent playing my MegaDrive, my Mega Collection, my iPod Touch version- I've probably put over a 1000 hours in to Sonic 1, and that's no lie, and I never knew that. Holy friggin' heck.

That said, why would any player really have the need to go back UP once touching that switch? Really!?