don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    I was thinking along the same lines, or possibly with a brief crouch frame when climbing over - it just seems like that the climb up in particular would probably look rather too jerky and unpleasant without the transition. Well, I guess we won't know until someone tries it, whether it's me or not. :)

2. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    The Competition mode in Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) is as much beta as it goes (he was pink for once, but also the running frames were different). We can at least say they planned Knuckles to glide fly and glimb at that stage of development.
    If Sonic 3 hadn't come out, I am sure Evil Knuckles would have used his newest patterns and palette for all demos, and that Competition would have been more balanced. But because Sonic 3 was out, having such big changes to something people would look as final would not work. They had already changed so much in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, including the story.

When it comes to clamber-over-ledge, it might had been planned to abort that move and go back to climbing with a button press. I recall seeing something suspicious when I made the TD in 2008. Like "oh, I climbed up too far, so lets climb down the ledge before Knuckles is up on ground again". I have never post this because I wasn't sure then, and I am not sure now either.

3. While going through a dictionary today this popped up:
    "Urchin" n.[[<L ericius, hedgehog]] a small child; esp.,a mischievous boy
    Or something to that effect.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/urchin says :
    Probably not directly related, but it's something I found.

4. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Huh. That explains why the German word for sea urchin (Seeigel) literally means "sea hedgehog" : B

A random glitch a friend of my brother discovered in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii, PAL version): Playin' the game in 50 Hz mode first will cause your gamesafe to be lost and/or not recognized by the game if you play it again on the same console running in 60 Hz mode at a later point in time. :psyduck:

5. Liliam

Liliam

Previously Fred Oldbie
    The recent Sonic Heroes talk got me thinking about the game and its stages, one of them being called Bullet Station. Then, whilst sitting on the toilet, it hit me - the name is probably a reference to bullet trains... as opposed to actual bullets.

:eng101:

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    You get shot out of a cannon like 2-3 times in that one. I dunno.

7. Hey guys I made this earlier, and now I realized something:

These almost seem TOO similar to not be based off one another. Think that Crush40 got their inspirations for City Escape from Endless Mines?

8. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    What you're hearing is that the verse portion of Escape from the City, and the part they brought over from Endless Mine, both happen to use the chords C Am F G. Since those four chords (or sometimes the same but transposed) are used in the majority of songs this side of Heart and Soul, I wouldn't say one was based on the other so much as they were both based on being unoriginal.

However, both songs go their own ways and barely match at all outside of the aforementioned bits. They are quite different from each other, as far as I can hear.

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Do we have Senoue credited as composing Endless Mine? For some reason I thought he was.

10. E102

E102

"γ" Member
    No, that's just speculation (that's quite an ironic statement coming from me, actually.) ^^'

There is nothing that connects Senoue to Endless Mine other than its tie-in with Escape from the City for City Escape - Classic, where Escape from the City is definitely a Senoue track. Even so, the track is arranged by Cash Cash, so there's no telling whether it was Senoue's or CC's decision to put Endless Mine in there, especially since other Classic versions for stages of non-Classic origin* do not seem to follow this trend.

*NOTE: Run Through the Speed Highway was also composed by Jun Senoue

Furthermore, Senoue has arranged other composer's work from Sonic 3, as he is credited for neither Angel Island Zone nor Sky Sanctuary Zone on the 10th Anniversary CD (where composition credit is given for Sawada, Kashima and Drossin and Senoue is credited for other tracks on the CD).

11. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    After reading the Heroes topic I felt like giving the game a run through again just to see if it was really that bad. When I got to the Egg Emperor with Team Rose, I noticed something that I never have before,

[​IMG]

Look into Eggman's weak spot, it's cool little detail that I totally missed for years.

12. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Yeah, I noticed that during my SH-texture-editing-misadventures.

If anyone's interested, this is what the actual texture for Eggman in there looks like:

[​IMG]

13. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    I don't get it; what did they do there, that Eggman is in there? Or is it the way Eggman looks in that?

14. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    The fact probably many people didn't pay attention to Eggman being there (or did but just overlooked him).

15. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Eggman's smile in there looks.....unnaturally wide. Probably because it's really Metal Sonic. It's still a bit creepy...

16. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    I wondered this, it doesn't really resemble his in-game model, so who knows. I thought it might be the window of the control room but then there is an identicle weak spot on the Egg Emperor's shield.

17. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    I always found it odd that, for no apparent reason, Eggman's mustache was orange in Heroes and Shadow. I'm fine with the American orange/Japanese brown system as it had been for years, but good god did I find it jarring for the orange color to appear on the Japanese-derived design.

I can't even fathom why the change occurred... Thoughts?

18. KKT

KKT

[​IMG]

^I found this in an OLD newspaper clipping. I thought it was interesting. It appears to be Marble Zone with an odd lava texture and..... those things Andross spits out? It's hard to see because of how it was scanned, but it's definitely Sonic. Sonic 1.

19. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Ha, it's flipped.
    [​IMG]

20. Liliam

Liliam

Previously Fred Oldbie
    Actually, no it's not. Look at the light source on the mountains, pillars, bricks, etc. relative to the final. That color image is the one that's flipped.