don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Fixed it for you.

2. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I dunno, I think it'd also be funny to have his mustache have grown incredibly long without it exiting the ball, so it's just kind of fluffed up everywhere.
    [​IMG]

3. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I think Blaze being created for 06 and Sonic Rush's plot being originally conceived as the aftermath of her being sent to another dimension at the end of Silver's story (possibly combined with the timeline alteration by Sonic and Elise) is definitely a possibility. Cream was created for Heroes but debuted in Advance 2 instead, for instance.

06 coming out last might have been the very reason Sega told the devs to sever the connections. "Sorry Sonic 06 team, but Sonic Rush is coming out first, and we feel this one referencing the ending of a game that isn't out yet might be too confusing and spoileriffic, so we told Dimps to remove the references to your game. Now it's your turn to alter your script to remove all references to Rush."

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
  4. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    Actually, I seem to recall hearing that Cream was created specifically for Sonic X, and that's why it took her so long to be in the comics.

5. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I just can't accept that for Blaze's backstory. It's too stupid and upends most of the fun of what Blaze's world is like and what the importance of it all is with "well it only exists because Blaze was such a good friend to our hero, Silver". And turns her character from one with autonomy and an interesting base into one that has nothing besides "I exist to be a sidekick and my good aspects were handed to me by plot convenience". Even if you try to flesh out her world and whatnot, the very concept lingers over the entire character's existence.

It also doesn't make much sense out why Blaze looks to be dressed in royal garb and have fire powers before engulfing Solaris or becoming a princess would even happen. It's just nonsense. I can't accept it not only because I don't like it, but because for those reasons it makes no sense from a design standpoint. She feels like she was obviously made for Rush first, and 06 must've seen the similar strands and attempted to shove it in.

As I said a page or two ago, Blaze in 06 was a mass hallucination both Silver and the audience witnessed. That's my final answer. lmao

6. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    She's a descendent of the Soleanna royal family, no? Isn't that the whole reason she's able to seal Iblis?

I mean, I guess in that framing, the major problem is that 06 should have been her story, not Silver's.

(the other problem is that it implies someone down Elise's family tree fucked a cat)

7. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    But there is no Soleanna royal family 200 years later, she wouldn't be dressed like a princess.

8. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I thought about the royal garb thing, but I figured that they could have tweaked her design upon altering her origin to come from the Sol dimension.

I dunno about the "it was all because she was such a good friend to Silver" thing. It's not like she sacrificed herself so that Silver wouldn't have to; he tried to turn himself into Iblis' vessel but it didn't work, so she did it herself. It was also their quest, not just Silver's. She wasn't just hanging out with Silver because they were buddies, she was out to save the world.

I don't think that was ever implied. The reason she gave for being accepted as Iblis' vessel was her fire powers as I understood it:

"I'll take it. Don't worry. I have flames in my soul as well. I can make use of that."

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
  9. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    Ultimately, my biggest issue with the 06 before Rush fan theory is Blaze's character arc in Rush. In the DS game, Blaze is repeatedly told to ask Sonic for help. To which she absolutely refuses and hates the idea of getting other people involved with her quest. She wanted to recapture the Sol Emeralds herself, her own way. Because that is what life was like for her back at home. She always did everything herself, she had no friends.

Sonic 06 begins with Silver and Blaze working together as a team. What happened? If this is before Rush why would she be excepting anyone else's help? Maybe you could say there was a lot of off screen character development between her and Silver, but that's just fan speculation. I dislike the idea of Blaze going through the same character arc twice because the timeline was erased.

10. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    Do we know that for certain? It's not clear what the state of the rest of the world is in the future. I assume it's not literally only the two of them, there must be some sort of societal remnant, somewhere. It doesn't even need to retain the monarchy, they might just be fancy clothes passed down through her family.

As well...as Elise, another member of the royal bloodline. I don't know where she would have gotten those flames otherwise. It's not like Rush ever explains it.

11. Linkabel

Linkabel

I also don't like the implications of what 06 ending does for Blaze, but you could retcon it to have Blaze be weary of forming bonds because in her subconscious she remembers her sacrifice and having to leave Silver behind.

So in a way she doesn't want to be hurt again, so she subconsciously works alone till she meets Sonic and the others. Even makes the ending of Rush perfect with Sonic and Blaze trying to hold on to each other as a parallel to the last moment Silver and Blaze has.

I always thought about how to explain the conundrum with Blaze, so I see the defeat of Solaris as a Genesis Wave kind of event.

There was always a Sol dimension, is just that after 06 all dimensions were affected and Blaze was reborn in that dimension instead of 200 years in the future.

And somehow Nega is a descendant of Eggman that terrorizes the future and the Sol dimension.

Doesn't need to be more complicated than that to be honest.

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Alright, to answer the issues people keep bringing up:

Blaze refuses to accept people's help in Sonic Rush because it pertains to her duty as the Guardian of the Sol Emeralds. In Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), the Sol Emeralds are not a factor: Blaze is instead helping Silver with his goal to stop Iblis, not the other way around.

Blaze has also been there for a while. We don't know why, but she has. So we can assume she has befriended Silver much in the same way she befriended Cream, since Sonic Rush has her quickly become attached to the young rabbit despite her focus on collecting the Sol Emeralds.

What sent her there in the first place is an unknown. We can assume the Sol Emeralds, since they and the Chaos Emeralds are what sent her and Sonic there and back before, even if Ian Flynn doesn't like the explanation we must remember it's Yuji Naka and later Takashi Iizuka who have final say on this above anyone else. However, we can also speculate other reasons that have drawn Blaze from the Sol Dimension.

As for why Blaze isn't trying to get back to her world ASAP, what if she is? I don't think a giant lava monster attacking you every opportunity is going to help your goal of figuring a way home, so she is likely prioritizing dealing with Iblis, the most obvious reason for why she may have been sent to this world in the first place anyway, then looking to go home.

13. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Well Elise herself was more than happy to kiss a dead hedgehog, clearly bestiality runs in the family.

14. Pengi

Pengi

Maekawa said that Blaze was created by Akinori Nishiyama, who directed Sonic Rush.

https://info.sonicretro.org/Yuji_Naka_interview_by_Sega_Europe_(January_30,_2004)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    We have some good news!

7:26
    - I'm a little confused, when's the first time Silver and Sonic have actually met? Is Rivals canon? If not then when did Silver actually debut and meet Sonic and co?

- See, the Rivals games are canon, but I can't remember off the top of my head what particular order events go. But I guess that would have to be it, because his appearance in the Riders games isn't really like a canon thing. That's more of a cameo. It may have been Rivals.

15:28
    - If the saga of Sonic rivals is not canon, how come Sonic and Tails met Silver? Because in Colors DS/Generations, they already knew about him. I have that doubt in my head

- Rivals is canon. Both of them.

32:05
    - in the current canon did the knuckles tribe ever visit/live on earth and was angle island and mystic ruins ever part of/on earth I am asking this because I heard someone say that you said in the current canon angle island was never on earth . Is that true/still true

- I think there's some confusion there (...), but with the one-world scenario, that is now canon, that means that Mystic Ruins and the land that would become Angel Island was on Earth. So yes, the Knuckles tribe has to have been on Earth before Angel Island and all that jazz.

16. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Well finally.

Oh, hey, he called the planet Earth, I win :eng99:

Also, 'now canon', always was canon.

17. RDNexus

RDNexus

Until SA2 (or Shadow, in a sense), I could somehow work out the canon of the mainline games.
    After that, despite being kinda clear what may be canon or not, to me is utter canonicity chaos.

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Which is why I just do all of them unless I've a particular reason for not: I did the Game Gear Games, but not Sonic Spinball due to it's ties to Mobius and the cartoons, though feasibly it could take place in the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Mega Drive) and Sonic the Hedgehog 3 gap if pushed in, for instance.

Besides, I still don't know why the portable games would be canon while the portable games would not.

19. RDNexus

RDNexus

I only care about the mainline games, mostly.
    Many portable or spin-off titles are off-list to me.
    Hence why I claim from 06 onwards it all went bananas, totally off the window.

20. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    After reading how Roddenberry treated Star Trek's canon, I think Sonic doesn't have a canon, it has a roddenberry instead.