don't click here

The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog available now for PC and Mac

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by jubbalub, Mar 31, 2023.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Oh, 100%. One of my favourite things about TMoStH was that the plot and tone is light, despite there being stakes - reminds me a lot of Colours and Generations in that regard, which is a good thing!

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Finished it the other day. This and Scrapnik are the best narrative things to come from the franchise in a while. Washes off the stink that was Forces and Frontiers.

Speedrunning Poet Espio was the highlight for me.

3. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    The choice scene near the end was a bit silly, but besides that, it was fun. Thought the food names were a bit lame too.

4. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    SEGA after seeing the positive reception of this game: "hmm... they seem to like it when Sonic is dead. We'll have to do that more often."

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Can't wait for the Sonic 06 remaster

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    I guess SilvaGunner was right when he said "Freedom will be waiting when the Sonic series dies"

7. Ehfvanteis

Ehfvanteis

I had the same thoughts. It feels a bit like Amy didn't invite some the characters she has the closest relationships to.

Biggest absence seemed to be Cream, but also Sticks (after the Frontiers name drop) and Big, given that he's been part of "Team Rose". I can understand leaving Sticks out since she hasn't been seen on screen with mainline cast in-universe before. Amy was also teamed up with Silver in '06, that one stood out to me in particular (even if neither of them remember the events).

I am wondering if Cream has more or less been dropped as a character now. It feels like she's gone the way of Nack / Fang.

Otherwise, I absolutely loved this! Great fun at a (very) reasonable price. I would have been fine paying for that. Exactly the sort of offbeat and quirky experience I was looking for.

8. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Big isn't there because he's too busy fishing (You can look out one of the windows to see as such).

9. Yeah, if they’re actually going to introduce Sticks into the mainline Sonic continuity (which I’m currently against, or at the very least, ambivalent towards - but maybe I’ll end up liking her), they’d have to do it in a ‘real’ game first I think. I imagine there are a few people who skipped the whole Boom sub-series and wouldn’t be too familiar with her. I think Sonic Team would probably tweak her characterization a bit since the only thing I know about her is that she’s super into conspiracies, which probably doesn’t work too well outside of the sitcom setting of Boom.

I think Silver would have been a fine to character to include. He was in Forces for whatever reason and I think he’s a decent enough character despite the general perception of 06. They can’t really be too specific about his relationship with Amy considering it got erased, but they can still portray them as close.

In the end, I think they made the right calls on who was included. Cream is the biggest absence but it ultimately makes sense.

10. Ura

Ura

Brazil
    "Crimson Angel - Honey the Cat" on AO3 (on Hiatus)
    Sonic's cast is absurdly huge for the kind of stories we usually get, so it's only natural that some characters just end up not appearing for long periods of time.

Yes, Cream's last game was released more than a decade ago, but what games were released after that? Two games that focus almost excluively on the "Mega Drive cast" (Lost World and Frontiers), a spin off subseries that also mostly focus on the MD Cast (Boom), a game set in the classic era (Mania/Plus) and racing spin offs where the only child coded character is Tails since he's the easiest to put in a vehicle without raising many eyebrows.

Forces would be the best contender to include her because that game just shoves a bunch of characters in the background just because, but I can still see why she wasn't included, even if Forces' cast feels almost as random as if it was AI generated or something.

I feel that a lot of people forget how many less media we've been getting in general during 2012-2019 compared to the mid to late 2000's, which results in less important characters being excluded in favour of the more popular ones until you eventually get a story that has the time and opportunity to take advantage of them (IDW in Cream's case) I'm pretty sure the only reason we end up with some modern characters not being used that much in the games is because the developers of each project independently reach the conclusion to not include them for whatever reason, rather then excluding them on purpose, I mean, I still remember when people were going crazy about Blaze not being shoved into Sonic Forces (for some reason I can't understand) just because she hasn't made any relevant appearece for years

11. synchronizer

synchronizer

I just beat the game.
    I think the writing, art, and character interaction are better than anything we've seen in the official games, period. No understatement.
    Amy finally has something to her.
    The art is great. The music, also, is better than a lot of what we've heard in years.

I hope that the talented people they put together to make this get to do more in the main games.

12. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    So, things we know about Barry from the game itself:

Delusions of Grandeur
    Gambling Addict

13. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    He's also an astronaut!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Ehfvanteis

Ehfvanteis

He's also got a thing for looking in trash cans. Reminds me of Sticks.

15. synchronizer

synchronizer

Reminds me of the stepladder gag from Phoenix Wright

16. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Managed to play through most of this last night - great stuff, have really enjoyed the whole scenario. Agree the script needed a final proofread for capitalisation and punctuation, but as-is it's still readable at least, and the writing captures the characters very well. Very much reminded me of the Ace Attorney games tone-wise, and that's definitely a good thing. = )

Annoyingly, had to give up just before the end as I hadn't realised how late it was, and I was just getting worse and worse at the runner sections with how tired I was. Anyone have tips for getting 100 rings on the final(?) segment, though? Couldn't seem to get more than around 60 when I was trying.

Annoyingly enough you can't save during those, so I'll have to go all the way back to when
    Sonic starts busting through the doors between the carriages
    the next time I get the chance to play as that's where I last saved. Is there another chance to save after that point before the final stretch? If so let me know and I'll make sure to save there next time, just in case...!

17. Kyro

Kyro

As far as I know, no way to save after breaking through the carriages, however the game does have built in options to help beat the levels if they are too much for you. Check out the accessibility and you can enable some things like invincibility!

18. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Thanks - I've managed every segment up to that last 100 rings one on normal settings, so will probably give it one more go like that the next time I can find time for some PC gaming. Then if I still can't do it when I'm fully awake I guess I'll have to resort to the accessibility options. Providing there's some that don't feel like straight-up cheating I should be fine, haha...!

19. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Yeah, the last runner segment is a considerable difficult spike, but if you were able to do all the rest alright you'll be able to persevere! If not, there are options to change the ring requirement and game speed.

20. synchronizer

synchronizer

I think it’s easier with arrow keys somehow. Use twitch fingers.