don't click here

SRB2 2.0 is here!

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Shadow Hog, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. synchronizer

synchronizer

I really don't like the boss of Techno Hill because of the controls. I can't aim my jump correctly, so I lost nearly all my lives at this point.

AND, multiplayer is not supported by my machine is it?

2. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    Playing the mac version. On my computer it keeps on flashing bars of the previous screen indefinitely, something the original mac version didn't have, except for when it loaded for that few seconds, and even then it was different than this. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

3. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    I've posted 2.0.1.
    If you already have 2.0.0 and don't want to download the entire 83MB package again, you can upgrade to 2.0.1 manually by downloading the "Application only" version and following the crappy instructions I posted on how to copy the game data from 2.0.0 to 2.0.1. Same link.

There are some graphical issues on PPC Macs that don't occur on Intel. They switched to software rendering for 2.0, and their code isn't 100% big-endian friendly. It's drastically improved over previously though, because it used to not work at all. I could hunt down some of their remaining problems, but it's not worth the time.

This will probably be the last build I'll do, because I assume Alam's official build will eventually be offered on the SRB2 download page.

4. synchronizer

synchronizer

Out of curiosity, what exactly are the differences between 2.00 and 2.01? Also yeah, there are a few minor weird glitches in the ppc version. Sonic becomes yellowish green when touching the surface of water, some invisible walls, but not too many problems.

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I find it odd that in this day and age it's still booting at 320x200 full screen at default, but aside from that it's a great game

Of course one thing that's always bugged me is that SRB2 goes from "nice and easy" to "argh" very quickly. It took me 9:50 to get past Castle Eggman act 1 as Knuckles... I'm guessing it would be impossible with Sonic though it might just be because I suck

but the new levels are very impressive and by no means at all is this a bad game

6. corneliab

corneliab

Didn't have too much trouble with Castle Eggman as Sonic, aside from the slowdown that showed up during the Act 2's last room. Even then, that all went away after gettting myself killed.

7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    So this is actually the first time I've played this game, believe it or not =P Spent a ton of time last night playing it in multiplayer with Tweaker, Cinossu, and oerg.

Am I the only one who thinks the controls are awful though? It's incredibly slippy once you're at speed and very difficult to make precision jumps.

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

That's the main reason that I never play this game as anyone but Knuckles. At least with his gliding/climbing abilities he's not doomed with every wrong step.

9. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Yep, sonic imo is way too out of control and always has been, using an analog stick helps a little bit.

Game is just like I remember, fun but only for a little while, back in it's prime time it was quite awesome as it was the only 3d sonic fan game.

10. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Controls are perfect, you just had to be playing for years to practice and get perfect at it. :P

11. synchronizer

synchronizer

Does the multiplayer work in the ppc mac version? (And yes, the controls are difficult to work with. They remind me of those in Croc: Legend of the Gobbos.)

12. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    They removed support for underscanning and doublescanning basically, which is what prevents the lower resolutions from being available even if using the custom resolution feature.

EDIT: behold my awesomeness!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Epic tank is epic :3 And no, that isn't a polyobject >_>

BTW, Morph says that there is a horizontally moving platform in ERz2 that goes accross sectors and has its flats rendered... WTF? o_o;

EDIT 2: WTF sound test O_O; There are pieces of A Pocket Lapse and Pokémon Soccer, then the second half of S3K's sound test (with all the sounds in order) o_O

13. Dark Warrior

Dark Warrior

Gamera - Friend of Children Member
    Worcester, Massachusetts
    Sonic Robo Blast 2: Junior Dev Member
    I feel I need to address the people saying "OpenGL was never broken."

You're very, very wrong. OpenGL has been broken for a good long time. 2.0 simply makes a lot of it much more obvious.
    Translucency and fog blocks are the two biggest issues on that list. It has problems sorting colormap issues (It's not intentional that you turn blue when you're barely standing in a colormapped sector), as well as various other effects. Arid Canyon outright crashes ACZ1 because of a translucent sky effect, and in ERZ, you can't see several of the flats, and the lasers, which are made of fog blocks, don't render properly at all.

Again, OpenGL has always been this broken, you just never noticed it. And believe me, I miss OpenGL as much as anyone here, but it's just not working well enough to be enabled in 2.0

And for those who are having lag issues in SRB2, including CEZ2, http://www.srb2.org/mb/viewtopic.php?t=18231

14. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Why was I not invited

The controls are the best part of the entire game. It's hard as hell to get a handle on Sonic when you're first starting out, but when you finally do come to grips with the controls, it makes for an experience quite unlike any other. I mean, look at this guy; playing like this isn't anywhere near as hard as it looks. I haven't touched the game in ages, and I don't think I'm missed a single precision jump yet. Stick with it, it's worth the effort.

15. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I don't think that's going to work for those with lag on a single core. Especially when SRB2 goes so slow that it makes the kernel itself go slow.

What I noticed is that the maps with lag are some of the most offensive when it comes to performance directly. CEz1 has 11k linedefs for example, and other parameters are similar, same deal with all levels that tend to be laggy (which is why those levels take so long to load). Also they seem to be FOF-whores in many areas. That little huge detail is what killed the original SF94-City and my attempt at a new city, and led to the creation of SF94-City 2.0 (and now we need yet another city due to lack of backwards compatibility, but that's a different thing).

^ This

That said, he better start messing with the controls as the default ones aren't good at all. I have a really weird layout set up but it works amazingly well for me :v:
    • W/S/A/D: move (A/D strafe)
    • 8/5/4/6 (numpad): move (4/6 turn)
    • Spacebar: jump
    • X: spindash
    • Ctrl: shoot
    There are more but I won't list the entire thing >_>

16. Iceguy

Iceguy

グー! Member
    Hell. It's in my head.
    Internal system recovery
    Why not ask JTE for help with OpenGL? o-O

17. Max Firestorm

Max Firestorm

Pyrodramatic Member
    Ugh. I'm getting Page Load Error (Address Not Found) when I try to download the torrent ._.

18. Nibble

Nibble

Oldbie
  19. Max Firestorm

Max Firestorm

Pyrodramatic Member
    Hmm... I think something is wrong...

20. Nibble

Nibble

Oldbie
    Eh, they're down for me as well. It'll probably come back up soon enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.