don't click here

Special Stage Development

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccat

ccat

The soft red's nice, even though I still fail to see it blending with 3D nicely.

2. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    Oh for sure. These are just mock-ups done in Microsoft Powerpoint. The arrow lighting looks awkward. I like the orange one because it adds a touch more colour without deviating radically into a different colour (e.g. from red to green, or red to blue, etc.). If anything, the light can blind rapidly as though the bombs are "charged and loaded".

3. Right some mods now, pretty sure I'm getting close almost.....
    [​IMG]

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    The slow glowing won't be noticeable at the speed these pass by.

What I think is that they could start blinking quickly when Sonic is in their line of reach (when they're detecting something approaching them) or just very near.

5. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    It's looking very good. they are looking blurry for some reason. And maybe the red colour could do with being brighter. Can you do some concepts like what T.Q. did in his last post?

6. ccat

ccat

I just played the game, and noticed that the red light on bombs also has a few pixels of white light reflection. Judging by the shape, it seems like the red circle should be more rounded, like a fragment of a sphere.

7. So here's what I got, need a real focus on this now to get it right, every agreed about the current concept?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    The perspective looks off now with that shine on the circle. It was best left off or something of the same with the last one you did. It looks good. Some tweaking needs to be done on the triangles. You can tell the glowing effect inside the triangles don't match each other and look a bit patchy. Are you going to do some more different concepts?

9. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Remember, the reflections are likely going to be handled by the actual engine, so adding the little white dot isn't necessary at this stage. And the triangles? I think that they should have the soft red light. I think that will add a bit of volume and coolness.

10. T.Q.

T.Q.

I haven't seen anyone making concepts of the checkpoint rings yet. So I thought we can add this for consideration, to get started.
    [​IMG]

It's plain, but gives an idea of what can occur with proper polishing.

11. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    [​IMG]

I've seen alot of people on here go on about them. But for the life of me have never seen them. I've even tried looking for them and can never spot them. Has anyone got a snap shot of them?

12. T.Q.

T.Q.

Here's what they look like. They come by just before the thumbs up/down graphic.
    [​IMG]

13. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    There's no way anyone's going to be able to notice, let alone make out, the word Checkpoint on those rings during gameplay.

14. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Ah that explains it. I was looking for a single ring that was hovering in the sky, independent to anything else. I didn't check to see if they were on the balls.

Now looking at them in 16 bit. I think that they can be improved on in HD by making the balls sit inside the rings, rather than the rings on the facing side of the balls, if you get me drift.

15. zemulii

zemulii

They'd probably be easier to work on once we've got a fair idea of what the spheres inside will eventually look like.

16. The same can be said about the extra details that we add to other sprites. ;)

17. I've neatened the lights up and made this mockup to show how well they intergrate themselves into the scene :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also realised, these bombs pass by so quickly in the actual stage, they're probably on screen full size for a fraction of a second :(

18. Flare

Flare

That looks so cool. I may actually play these special stages!

19. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    It's very good. I like the little orange tint you have on the triangles. When looking at the circle orange bit with the bombs at a distance. The orange bit looks like it's not perfectly centre. It looks like it needs to be moved to the left and up a tiny tiny bit.

Also. Could you do it fading between this latest mockup and this old mockup you did. But do the fading between the two at a graceful speed. Like taking a second between on and off, or maybe slower.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Previous:
    Recent:
    The circle looks much better in the previous revision, in my oppinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.