SonLVL

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MainMemory, Feb 7, 2011.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory

Have no fear...Amy Rose is here! Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Yes. Put blockcmp=Uncompressed and chunkcmp=Uncompressed in the top part of the INI file.

2. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Quoted from Basic. So, what's the best way to utilize this in a S1 disasm? I got ringfmt set to S2 already. I saw the header [Ring] and tried applying that directly, but got errors.

Side note: I'm sure there is a tutorial for properly importing art into SonLvl, MainMemory can you please direct me to the best one (in your opinion) I tried to search threads for any but while I found a few posts that were slightly helpful, I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Cheers in advance!

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Well, you have to tell it the correct art file and mappings for the S1 ring, otherwise it'll be looking for the S2 ring art, which doesn't exist in S1.

I don't know any tutorials for art importing in SonLVL. It's preferred if you make the new art as either a 16-color image using one palette line from the level (highlight the proper line in the palette editor before importing), or a 256-color image where the first 64 colors are the full level palette. Importing full color images can be done, but it's a bit prone to errors, as it has to manually match each pixel to the closest color in the palette, and if multiple lines have the same color it may choose the wrong line for a tile. You may import only tiles, blocks+tiles, chunks+blocks+tiles, or layout+chunks+blocks+tiles, depending on which tab you do the import from. You can also have supplementary images for collision and priority data, export a level with that setting to see how that works.

4. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Hey there, I'm kind of a newcomer to the software. I've been trying to switch the VRAM location of the blue mountain background in Hill Top Zone, but SonLVL doesn't seem to allow you to edit the block data for it, at least not besides a set amount of blocks.

I need the blocks to display the VRAM data for $E800 onwards, but I don't think it goes that far.

EDIT: Never mind. Worked round it.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  5. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Yeah those specific blocks are stored separately as part of Sonic 2's "Animated Pattern Maps" system, so you can't edit them in SonLVL. The data is in the ASM as a series of macros.

6. SyntaxTsu

SyntaxTsu

Does SonLVL have something like a dark mode? The light mode really isn't my forte, esp. when dealing with snow levels which have a lot of white in them.

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    It should follow your system theme.

8. SyntaxTsu

SyntaxTsu

And yet it... isn't?
    Screenshot (109).png
    I'm in Windows 10 Dark Mode but the colours are still very... bright and white.