don't click here

Sonic Superstars: A New 2D Sonic Game (Fall 2023)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DefinitiveDubs, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I very much do not expect this to happen because SEGA lol, but it’d be smart for them to make the physics closer to that of the classics when playing single player, i.e. top speed is increased and momentum has a bigger effect on acceleration. I guess I can live with things not being perfect, given what the game is going for (the Advance games are still top notch despite being a marked departure from classic physics), but the game does just look a bit too slow for my liking right now.

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I mean, no. You're missing the point with this one. Sonic can run through loops without boosters in S4, Generations, Forces, Frontiers and more. The issue is twofold:
    1. The physics need to work in a way that allows Sonic to organically gain and lose speed in a believable way by reacting to the terrain. Sonic 4 fails at this by allowing him to ascend walls and get through loops by barely walking.
    2. The level design needs to not rely on boosters and other forms of automation (we all saw those grind rails in the trailer). It's still well and good of the physics are decent, but it's pretty meaningless if automation litters the levels regardless.
    The fact that the boosters are even there doesn't discredit the gameplay. Watch the footage again and you'll notice Sonic lose speed as he goes up the grind rail lops and gain it as he goes down the other side. But... The boosters are kind of a red flag. They suggest potential problems with either the physics or level design. I'm sold on the artstyle but the gameplay needs closer inspection.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. RibShark

RibShark

Some of you who are acting like the meer existence of boosters means that this game has guaranteed trash physics need to go back to Sonic 2 and play some Chemical Plant. Boosters can absolutely be used in a good way.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Sonic fans who can never be satisfied malding for the sake of malding? Say it ain’t so

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    So do we know how long this has been in development?

6. Blast Brothers

Blast Brothers

Source?

7. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I'm extremely excited that Naoto Ohshima is heavily involved with this game. I never thought he would work with Sonic Team again on a Classic Sonic game. I'm more hyped about this game than anything else in 2023. My biggest concern is with the physics, but I'm optimistic that the physics will be a lot better than Sonic Forces.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    You mean the stage-specific Chemical Plant boosters, very consciously made to artificially separate a rather flowy zone into more readable sections? And that, very importantly, work not to reinforce an expected "normal" behavior, but exactly to challenge it?

I mean, come on. We've been through this discourse multiple times for the past like twenty years now. Every time a game seems to be littered with boosters, Chemical Plant is brought up as an example of boosters not being bad, actually. And every single time, the boosters are used as a general crutch for the gameplay to feel a certain way, artificially create flow that the game can't or doesn't want you to create by yourself, etc.

9. netscapenow

netscapenow

I'm wondering if this game is a heavily, heavily revised version of the online multiplayer Sonic game featuring Classic Sonic as a playable character described in that 2018 survey leak (which we know is legit since it also describes Frontiers almost exactly). It looks very polished, moreso than Frontiers even.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. RikohZX

RikohZX

I know for certain this isn't going to play 1:1 the classics. With multiplayer in there things have to be tuned to work for up to 4 people at once, which means screen stretching is probably a thing, as well as a default speed cap that isn't too fast. Probably a fair amount of gameplay challenge setpiece design ala some of the later games. But like I said, with Tails flight and Knuckles gliding seemingly being fully featured (as is presumably wall-climbing?), this might also be a game that isn't just one-route gameplay, too.

It's pretty easy to figure what kind of game this will be, the actual content breadth, polish and details are what's missing.

11. AdmiralJuicy

AdmiralJuicy

This game immediately came to mind when I watched the trailer. It looks really fucking good

12. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    Basically this. I'm not at all expecting a game that feels like any classic Sonic game. If anything, I'm expecting something more like Sonic Advance. That can be cool too, in its own way. It's absolutely a different syntax, and I think it'll be a fool's errand to pretend or expect otherwise.

13. It's a shitty meme, but it's useful shorthand to refer to the modern "Classic" Sonic that currently exists in opposition to how classic Sonic was actually portrayed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  14. kazz

kazz

16-bait Member
    This looks like a pretty cool game we should've got in 2010 lol but hey might as well redeem how 2010 actually went. I like that they seem to be actually trying a bit with the zone theming and that bonus stage seems to have a S&K glowing sphere-esque swinging gimmick which looks fun. It is lame we're still stuck with Generations-style Classic Sonic but at least he's no longer just Modern Sonic's side dish even if this turns out bad. Dimps has made more hits than misses in my book so I'm fine if they're helping. I think something Sonic 4-tier offensive would've already been apparent by now. That game's problems certainly weren't just boosters. The thing that bothers me most actually is that jellyfish gimmick. I'd just prefer fun levels around Sonic's controls instead of Yoshi's Island style transformations but eh maybe it's skippable (I doubt it).

15. VenomTH

VenomTH

That was extremely unexpected, especially given Oshima's involvement. Was this the 2D in-house Sonic game rumored for years? I'm honestly not a huge fan of the art style but I'll take it, it certainly seems like an improvement over Forces. I suppose the pixel look of Mania is too much for mainstream audiences.

It's great that Sega is supporting Sonic with the release of the movies, shows, Frontiers and Origins updates, and the release of this new classic-style game. It feels like we're in a Sonic renaissance.

16. Vertette

Vertette

You're not a real Sonic fan unless you've malded over something unimportant.

Also, does the Retro Engine even support 3D natively? I don't think so.

17. serpx

serpx

I heard about this game through leaks from Youtubers talking about it. But, as we know, take leaks with a grain of salt (though they were pretty spot on with Sonic Frontiers). And I may have misheard, but I'm 90% sure leaks mentioned the Retro Engine was being used to create a new classic title from Sonic Team. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Not only are we in a Sonic renaissance, I'd like to argue that Sonic is MORE popular now than he was in the 90s. We have Sonic movies, Sonic Frontiers was solid, Sonic Origin updates and this game, we have IDW comics, we have more toys/merchandise than one can realistically collect, we have Sonic Prime, and KNUCKLES HAS HIS OWN TV SHOW. Like what is going on right now, I literally thought Sonic was a dying IP before the first movie and Frontiers.

18. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Well this came COMPLETELY OUT OF NOWHERE. And it's coming THIS FALL???

New Mario Bros Wii in Sonic form? Actually yeah, fair enough, SEGA. :D

Also FANG IS BACK (oh ho, you sneaky bastards cutting off just before we see Fang's new 3D design XD).

Some neat level designs there, like the Techno Base-esque one.

Two concerns right now, one is how co-op mode will work against the speed of the game. Will it just be like the original games or is something else planned to keep everyone onscreen? Fair enough if it's just the former, but i hope multiplayer doesn't halt the speed of the game.

Also I take it what we're seeing is Amy's new gameplay from Origins, which I'm pondering over on that thread now. Nice to see 3D classic Amy anywho.

19. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Honestly don’t trust anything leakers say about this series unless they can back it with hard proof. First it was Zippo saying DIMPS would be coming out with a new Advance styled game, then it was “SEGA’s actually using Origins as an opportunity to learn the Retro engine” which is dumb and already debunked in the Origins thread. To my knowledge, nobody purporting to be a leaker has made mention of this game or its defining characteristics.

20. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    I'm completely surprised and happy. My only complaint is that... I guess I prefer the pixel versions. The aesthetics (and music) are super important to me, and I'm not really a fan of this plasticky- simplified look - but who knows... I'm also not a fan of the "Bionical" style monster/robots. I'm open to new possibilities.