don't click here

Sonic Superstars: A New 2D Sonic Game (Fall 2023)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DefinitiveDubs, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    No problem. Twitter especially is flat out terrible for Sonic.

I feel like it's either Sonic enthusiast boards or non-gaming forums that's the best to talk about Sonic

2. HammerKirby

HammerKirby

HammerKeebi Member
    You probably should delete your Twitter account tbh. All people do on there is just complain and argue about things with zero nuance. You are allowed to like a game that has flaws. Every game has them and people weigh flaws completely differently when it comes to their enjoyment of a game.

3. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Not sure if I missed it, but has anyone ripped the soundtrack yet? I’m tired of having to keep YouTube open on my phone :V

4. Linkabel

Linkabel

I was actually wondering the other day why they haven't announced a physical or digital release.

5. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Here's a clip that demonstrates the difference in jumping at high speeds. Timestamp 0:34.

You retain way more of your speed - you can't make jumps like that in the classics. It's either a higher air speed cap, or lower air drag when jumping at high speeds. This is also noticeable when spindash jumping

Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  6. HammerKirby

HammerKirby

HammerKeebi Member
    I knew something felt slightly different. Glad to know I'm not going crazy.

7. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Wow, that's sick. This is probably the one instance where I'd consider a physics difference from the classics to be a positive, tbh.

8. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

Over time, people will find more stuff like this and like the game more.

9. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Well, I grow more critical towards it the more I play. But I also run out of arguments. Maybe it's just nitpicking? Like having to press a button to proceed to the next level? IMO, there's 1 offender: co-op

Let's have a Talk, Mr. Iizuka. Are you afraid of getting boring?

10. KaiGCS

KaiGCS

That was exactly the position I felt with Frontiers, and - go back and read my posts in this thread - Superstars did anything but fail with me. Before it was announced, I was trying (and mostly failing) to accept the possibility that I may be waiting a decade or so for Sega finally cash in on 2010s nostalgia and give me back a version of Sonic that I prefer. Which seems a little melodramatic in hindsight, I know, but sometimes you care too much about something and have to shield yourself from it.

So for Superstars to be announced and come out and to be in so many ways exactly what I want out of Sonic... I don't really care what it means to angry SonicTubers or assholes on Twitter, let 'em hate, I'm just happy it exists at all. And I'm not saying it's above any criticism, there are plenty of things that I can point to as issues I hope are addressed. But it's amazing how quickly those criticisms shrunk down into nitpicks as I kept playing it.

You're right, I felt alienated with Frontiers, but now I've got some faith again. And I know I'm just one person, but at least you can't say it failed with everybody. :P

11. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    • Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. Snowbound

Snowbound

13. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

It will go higher. NHL and UFC might drop below Sonic. As a parent, I’m not buying NHL or UFC for my child. Lol but NBA 2K24 will probably go back up during the holidays. It’s gotten a lot of hate recently but it has a loyal fan base for the most part.

14. Linkabel

Linkabel

Really cool it's doing great, and was not expecting for Lords of the Fallen to be that low in the list. Supposedly that sold one million copies in the first ten days.

Either way, it settles the claim that it was not selling well.

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    I'm glad the doom posting arc came to a quick end. This is why you shouldn't use flimsy steam chart estimates.
    1 million copies, but the report mentions that it doesn't include digital sales numbers for it. Lords could be positioned a lot higher.
    Spider-Man 2 sold 5 million in its first 11 days.
    Super Mario Wonder sold 4.3 million in its first 2 weeks.
    Assassin's Creed Mirage released on October 5th and according to Ubisoft that title sold as well as Origins and Odyssey launch numbers. Those two sold 1.5/1.4 in their first week. I'm sure that number is much higher by the end of October.
    MK1's total sales since its September launch is around 3 million according to big man Zaslav. The game launched in September, but its sales were weaker than MK11 and based on its massive drop from September to October, it didnt have much legs making me believe its October sales are closer to 1-2 million range.
    Superstars is sitting two slots right below MK1. The top end for Superstars is about 2 million. I don't think it hit 2 million, but it can't exceed it either.
    Superstars doesn't have an asterisk near it so this is including all its digital sales so I think a 1-2 estimate is fair. It's definitely not below 1 million though.

TL:DR based on numbers we have
    • 1st - Spider-Man 2 - ~5 million
    • 2nd - Mario Wonder - 4.3 million
    • 3rd - Assassin's Creed Mirage - ~3-4 million
    • 6th - Mortal Kombat 1 - ~3 million
    • 9th - Sonic Superstars - YOU ARE HERE
    • 20th - Lords of Fallen - ~1 million
    I can try to go for a deeper dive and find numbers for other titles but I rather wait and see if something official is posted. Video game sales tracking fucking sucks and at best I would just come up with another vague estimate range.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2023
  16. Spamitex

Spamitex

#1 Knuckles Fan Member
  17. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Bro, Harry Potter came out in February and it's still on the charts. What are you talking about?

18. Spamitex

Spamitex

#1 Knuckles Fan Member
    You know what, really thought I had a winner there. But hey, now I know.

19. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    If we don't get an official announcement that this game has sold over one million copies by June, I will drink an entire bottle of Moxie on camera.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  20. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I stand by the idea that the game under-performed on Steam and in JPN sales, quite strongly even. But I'm also not surprised it's doing well on other platforms at least. Fortunately, PC was never the big demo for Sonic and JPN sales have rarely been the big metric for the IP at any point recently. The game can do okay if it does well elsewhere, and we'd lacked context on other performances until now.

I would not be surprised if Switch carried the bulk of those sales DESPITE strong competition from Mario this season.

The game still needs a price drop, and hopefully soon. It did wonders for Frontiers last year, I'd bet, and I think it would give the game some much needed legs.