don't click here

Sonic Shogakukan Manga Index

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Pengi, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Thanks for sharing, great job as always, SonicGenesis89!

[​IMG]
    Is it just me or does that look awfully reminiscent of Dreamcast era Sonic? Possible inspiration or coincidence? Probably the latter, but who knows... :v:

2. Yoritoshi

Yoritoshi

São Paulo
    Cosmic Boll
    Aw yeah, more old sonical manga.
    Sonic in a flight jacket sure was a thing in those days (was the jacket from his Japanese backstory ever made as an actual merchandise?). It's ironic how, if I recall, Sega has a mandate against Sonic characters wearing clothes in comics regardless of context nowadays.

3. Linkabel

Linkabel

Sonic Team, along with some Sega higher ups, made themselves some jackets during the development of Sonic 3.

https://twitter.com/AbelMunizJr/status/943895294961336320?s=19

But it would be cool to have as an item to buy for the public.

4. Pengi

Pengi

Great stuff SG89!

That completes the first story arc of the Shogaku Yonensei prose stories. It'd be fun to see it translated one day!

5. Been sitting on these issues for a while and only got around to scanning them recently; some pages refused to flatten evenly in the scanner bed so I had to stitch panels from different images. I think the unedited ones should still be in the MEGA folders.

Ichinensei April 1993
    Sannensei April 1993
    Sannensei May 1993
    Sannensei July 1993
    Sannensei August 1993
    Rokunensei December 1992
    Rokunensei January 1993
    Smaller scans are available on my site.

[​IMG]
    Not manga, but I found a print ad for the Mega Drive game in an old Monthly CoroCoro; don't suppose anyone recognises the artist? I'll see if I can find a place to put the full-res scan sometime.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Yoritoshi

Yoritoshi

São Paulo
    Cosmic Boll
    That's from the artist of the Sonic the Hedgehog Story Comic... *searches in wikis* but apparently nobody knows who he is??? I love his menacing badniks.
    Plenty of interesting stuff aside from Sonic in those scans, too. Thanks a lot.
    [​IMG]
    Also, those old mangas sure liked giving the Sonic cast cool cars.

7. Pengi

Pengi

Great work Ragey, the scans came out really nice!

The Sonic 1 advertisement is by the same artist as the promotional "Sonic the Hedgehog Story Comic", a three-part manga to promote Sonic 1 that was given away in three consecutive issues of Mega Drive fan, as well as some stores. At first I assumed it was re-used art, but it's entirely original. In the advertisement, the buckles are drawn on the wrong sides of Sonic's shoes. The artist made the same error in "Story Comic" issue 1, but not issues 2 or 3. So it's probably safe to assume that this ad was drawn before issues 2 and 3, maybe even before issue 1.

His art was also include on a double-sided four-page fold-out flyer, seen here (has anyone scanned this???) and this single page ad:

[​IMG]

(In this one, the buckles are on the correct sides of Sonic's shoes!)

Sango Morimoto would frequently go off-model and do his own thing. In his earlier ones, he had Eggman flying grey hovercrafts that only half resembled the in-game Egg Mobile. My guess is that when it got to the Sonic 2 era, he'd seen the Emerald Hill Zone boss and ran with the idea of "Eggman drives red cars now".

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Linkabel

Linkabel

I added more issues to my Drive!

There's a lot of cool stuff! The size on them are pretty big so you can see a few pages on my Twitter.

9. Pengi

Pengi

This is a ton of new stuff! Thanks for scanning and sharing them!

It's interesting to see all the Sonic related advertisements. Apparently the January 1993 issue of Shogaku Ninensei came with an alternate version of Sonic the Hedgehog Book. Someone posted a few pictures of it on Twitter a while ago (the only difference appears to be the cover).

The colouring contest in the December 1992 issue of Shogaku Ninensei doesn't have any credits, but looks to be drawn by Mitsuo Kimura - interestingly, Charmy Bee is drawn with the same design Sango Morimoto used, rather than the more familiar version seen in Sannensei and Yonensei. But to readers of Ninensei, Morimoto's version would be the familiar one, so that makes sense.

I'd like to know what the deal with Charmy is. He seems to have a completely different backstory and plot purpose in Ninensei (where he has a time machine!), compared to the prose stories in Yonensei. (In Sannensei he just shows up with no context!)

10. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Would you mind uploading alternate, lower quality versions of all pages? I really appreciate you providing scans of the highest quality possible, but those are over 30 gigs in total. Good for preservation, but not very practical for those of us who just want to take a look out of curiosity.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Speaking of scans which are good for preservation, perhaps it would be a good idea to upload those to archive.org, so they can be preserved there "forever" (and there's no space limits there).

12. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Cool! Sweet! And Catchy! Member
    Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    You can view all available scans for everything on my personal website found here - https://sonicmangaparadise.tumblr.com/

I'm still in the process of adding everything. You'll be able to look at all available Shogaku Learning Journal scans, Coro Coro Comic Specials, Sonic the Hedgehog Story Comic, Sonic the Hedgehog Book, Dengeki Nintendo DS scans, one shots featured in various game guides, and eventually both Dash and Spin volumes. The website is still under maintenance so some pages are still undergoing design changes and not all links work just yet. There's two sections. One is for the original Japanese raw scans and the other will be for the English translated scans.

By the way, I've recently acquired nine more books. Three Shogaku Ninensei, three Shogaku Sannensei, one Shogaku Gonensei, and two Coro Coro Comic Specials! I'm already in the process of scanning them! :)

13. Linkabel

Linkabel

Yeah, I can do that eventually. Meant to do it at first but didn't really have a lot of time.

14. Pengi

Pengi

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  15. Powpuck

Powpuck

It mystifies me that a company like Fantagraphics or Dark Horse doesn't reach out to Sega to compile, translate, and publish this stuff. Moreover they relied extensively on fan help for content before. There's gotta be a market for this.

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Doing my rounds on the Sonic Retro wiki when I realised there is nothing on Charmy Bee's first appearance, which apparently was in the September 1992 issue of Shogaku Ninensei. Re-found this topic, resisted the urge to make a comment on nobody uploading things to the wiki, found what I want.

But

480MB for a single page wrapped in a PDF? How, what when why who - that can't be right surely. That cover is reporting to be 198MB, but if even if I extract the image and save as an uncompressed BMP (like, the worst thing you can do), I get it down to a 10th of the size.

Can I mirror this on the wiki without downloading 3GB of material?

17. Pengi

Pengi

I can't help on the technical side of things, but Charmy Bee's first appearance was in the May 1992 issue of Shogaku Yonensei.

18. Pengi

Pengi

A fan from Japan has posted photos (complete chapters) from his Shogaku Yonensei collection on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/crXqrjLXwGGkz1P/status/1227223755887235073
    https://twitter.com/crXqrjLXwGGkz1P/status/1227224371439161344
    https://twitter.com/crXqrjLXwGGkz1P/status/1227614005218304000
    https://twitter.com/crXqrjLXwGGkz1P/status/1227993268245295104
    https://twitter.com/crXqrjLXwGGkz1P/status/1228276897194266624

There's a Michael Jackson cameo in there.

Also a couple of interesting background figures in a crowd scene. I wonder...

[​IMG]

They also set up a voting page on Fukkan.com, if you want to express interest in a reprint of this series: https://www.fukkan.com/fk/VoteDetail?no=69323

19. Peri

Peri

This was in that deluge of posts from Last Minute Continue. Seems like a one-off promotional thing using the manga cast!

20. Yuski

Yuski

Dragons, dragons everywhere! Oldbie