don't click here

Sonic Shogakukan Manga Index

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Pengi, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Linkabel

Linkabel

Here are some new issues I scanned:

1992.12 Shogaku Yonensei

1993.04 Shogaku Ichinensei

1993.06 Shogaku Ichinensei

1993.07 Shogaku Ichinensei

1993.08 Shogaku Ichinensei

Gekkan Coro Coro Special Summer Vacation 1992

Now, the most interesting issues are the 1992 Shogaku Yonensei issue that has another map version of Hedgehog Island and in a cowboy illustration you see a fox girl named Patty that looks a lot like Tails. There's also a little Sonic 2 section in it. The 1993 Shogaku Ichinensei has a Chaos emerald that comes out in it. And the summer vacation issue has an issue where it shows Eggman might know Nicky is Sonic and also shows that he has his own double identity by being a cop in Hedgehog town.

2. Pengi

Pengi

Thanks for scanning all of those!

There's some pretty interesting stuff here!

Shogaku Yonensei
    * The map is gorgeous. It looks like there's a lot of lore there, if anyone wants to take a stab at translating it.
    * Patty and Monica - there was absolutely nothing online about either of these characters before! Patty is a fox and clearly based off of Tails, but did she appear in Yonensei before Tails himself did? Monica appears to be a mouse.
    * It's usually only the Ichinensei and Ninensei stories that are in color, so this full color bonus segment is a real treat. Sango Morimoto's Amy and Anita (named Tania in the other magazines) were both orangey brown colored, but here Norihiro Matsubara's Tania is pink and Amy is bright yellow!
    * And Charmy has tan legs and a green trim on his helmet.
    * Eggman's robot lackey is called Omelettes. He shows up in the later stories illustrated by Yoshihiko Ochi, so he must have been a recurring character.
    * Eggman is the villain of the main story. Is this the second story arc, or does it tie-in with the craziness of the earlier issues?

Shogaku Ichinensei
    * Oddly, Nicky doesn't appear in any of these last few issues. It makes me wonder if he ever appeared in Ichinensei, or if he was phased out?
    * Little John has a cameo in the last issue, so that cast was still around.
    * Tails' muzzle and tummy fur are correctly colored white. In Sonic the Hedgehog Book and the Sonic 2 Official Guide Book his fur was tan colored (an oddity seen in a lot of early Tails art and merchandise).
    * Sango Morimoto's Amy, on the other hand, is still orange-brown, and still as off-model as she was in his earlier issues!

3. I picked up Shogaku Ichinensei May 1993 recently. Raw scans are on MEGA (pages 137 ~ 140) and compressed ones on my site.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Awesome, thank you!

5. Pengi

Pengi

Great scans as always Ragey! Thanks for posting them!

It's interesting how the Tails era of Ichinensei frequently has Eggman driving a red land-based vehicle. It's like Sango Morimoto saw the Emerald Hill Zone boss and figured that was Eggman's new gimmick.

--

On a related note, scans of a two-part biographical manga on Hayao Nakayama were recently shared on Twitter.

Part 1 thread

Part 2 thread

Their connection to this series? Sonic appears in both parts, and according to the NDL, they were published in the December 1992 and January 1993 issues of Shogaku Sannensei.

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    There's another one on that Twitter account:

[​IMG]

Find me scans, put them on wiki, etc. etc. etc.

7. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Cool! Sweet! And Catchy! Member
    Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    I've recently acquired two more issues of CoroCoro Comic Special! :) The two issues are the Gekkan CoroCoro Comic Spring Break Special and the June 1994 issue which is the final chapter for the CoroCoro Comic series! I am very pleased to finally show everyone the two chapters that I've scanned. The final chapter to the CoroCoro Comic series is really interesting and also very dramatic! I was actually a bit surprised by how dramatic it was! I think that they ended the series in a really good way and it only made me want to see the other missing chapters all the more. There is a lot more issues on the way for everyone to look forward to so be on the lookout for updates very soon!

I also made a Ko-fi page for anyone who is interested in helping out with acquiring more of the books that we need. The books themselves are very rare and hard to come by and I search for them everyday hoping to find something. Whenever a book does show up it's always very exciting and rewarding especially because I am filled with a lot of anticipation to see what each chapter holds. These books often vary in price but can become really expensive at times especially when there is competition involved but what really gets me a lot of the times is the shipping fees. If anyone is willing to help donate it would help go towards paying for both the books and the shipping.

I really want to try and find every missing chapter from each grade level of Shogakukan and CoroCoro Special and scan them all in high quality so that they can be preserved and also so that we can all enjoy this series. I really adore the artwork and the stories and find them to be really interesting. A lot of main characters such as Amy, Charmy, and Vector make their debuts in this series and according to that Fantasy Factory video Sega and Sonic Team also had a lot of involvement in the creation of the manga characters and stories so I feel like this is an important piece of Sonic history that we should try to document and preserve. If anyone is willing to help donate I just want to say thank you so much and that it is really greatly appreciated! :)

GEKKAN COROCORO COMIC SPRING BREAK SPECIAL 1993

COROCORO COMIC SPECIAL - June 1994

My Ko-fi Page

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Awesome! Thanks a lot for sharing these!

Just saw it and WHAT THE F-OH MY GOD.

9. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

You're right, this chapter has everything. Little Planet! Giant Metal Sonic mech! Evil mind-controlled Amy!
    Sonic getting his chest gorily drilled! Wait, what!?

That mech piloted by Eggman and Amy reminds me of Eggman and Serah piloting Black Eggman in the OVA, I wonder if that idea was inspired by this manga storyline?

Anyways, thank you for your efforts, SonicGenesis89!

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think that deserves some spoiler tags in case that somebody wants to experience the wtfness without knowing in advance.

11. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Okay, done :v:

12. Pengi

Pengi

Thanks for scanning those SG89! Great stuff!

I don't think anyone expected the final chapter to go in that direction!

The Spring Break 1993 issue is interesting in how it incorporates Sonic 2 as the near-future. I wonder if the time travel plot was supposed to be a tie-in with Sonic 2's original story?

Koichi Tanaka, the CoroCoro artist, did something interesting with Eggman's design. He'd usually draw Eggman with rounded mustache tips, giving it a sort of "fluffy" look to it. In this story, the present day Eggman still has that look, but the future Eggman has a spiky mustache, just like in the games.

The fluffy mustache Eggman was still being used in the August 1993 issue, but by the April 1994 issue he had the spiky mustache. So his design "caught up" to his future self!

13. upg

upg

I'm willing to translate if you still need someone to do it

14. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    That would be really great! Thank you so much! :) I have been wanting to make English translations of each chapter for a while now but my Japanese is very limited. It would really mean a lot as well as be a huge help! I want everyone to have access to both the Japanese raw scans as well as English translated ones so that we can all enjoy the stories to the fullest!

That's really interesting about Dr. Eggman's mustache! I hadn't noticed that there was a design difference before. I wonder if the missing chapters explain his subtle design change or not. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that Dr. Eggman was disguised as a police officer in the earlier chapters and then later on everyone discovers his true identity. Since everyone knows who he is he probably didn't see the need in trying to alter his appearance anymore.

I was wondering that too with the whole time traveling thing. I find it kind of funny how even though the original story idea for Sonic 2 was dropped relatively early on the concepts still seemed to make their way into other media such as this chapter, the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Book where it has prehistoric times and medieval times, and even the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon during the Chaos Emerald Saga.

You're very welcome! :) Lol! Yeah, this chapter was very interesting.

I just love how this final chapter as well as the previous chapter before it feel like a Sonic 2 and Sonic CD crossover. In the previous chapter you can see Dr. Eggman's base and it looks very similar to the Death Egg and then you have Amy being kidnapped, a giant sized Metal Sonic, Little Planet, and Sonic and Tails.

What's really interesting too is how there is absolutely no mentioning of Nicky at all in the last two chapters. I think Sonic and Nicky become self aware that they are the same person around the 1993 August issue and sometime after that Nicky becomes Sonic permanently and Dr. Eggman kidnaps Amy. I really want to find those other missing chapters so we can fill in the blanks and see what happens! It looks like the story starts to really get interesting around that point onward.

When I first started looking through this final chapter I was really shocked at the sudden shift in tone. All of the previous chapters prior to this one had all been pretty much lighthearted and fun and this one was so dramatic and intense in comparison that it really took me by surprise!

I think Dr. Eggman dies at the end of the story too! He was trapped inside of the giant Metal Sonic mech when it exploded!

I wouldn't be surprised if the scene between Sarah and Dr. Eggman was inspired in part from this! The time traveling storyline in the Spring Break issue kind of reminds me of Sonic Generations a little bit with the two Dr. Eggman's being together as well.

15. Pengi

Pengi

That would be great! The "World of Sonic" section of the December 1992 issue of Shogaku Yonensei looks like it has a lot of interesting series lore in it.

16. AmbientPixels

AmbientPixels

I am emotionally wrecked Member
    Indiana
    A Sonic Comic Project,
    Wow, all of these chapters and pages are super cool, and I want to thank everyone who has contributed so far! It's so weird, since I've never have seen any of these issues for the past 6 years until now! I'm grateful for this because of this gives me good references for a story I'm working on.

And while this is not another issue or an issue page, I found this pretty cool since we usually don't see any renders or illustrations of Nicky/Nikki like this. This picture was taken from Emi Jones?(@TheEmuEmi) post on Twitter. But this issue was found by Casshern/Linkabel (@AbelMunizJr)

[​IMG]

You can find the photo here:
    https://twitter.com/TheEmuEmi/status/1093744187747401728

17. Pengi

Pengi

That photo was taken by Casshern. Here's the original tweet that image was taken from: https://twitter.com/AbelMunizJr/status/1093325329689501696

18. Linkabel

Linkabel

Yeah, I'll be scanning that page so we have it in better quality.

19. AmbientPixels

AmbientPixels

I am emotionally wrecked Member
    Indiana
    A Sonic Comic Project,
    Wow, this is fantastic! I wish I knew about you posting it first, whoops. I'll change that.

Anyway, I can't wait! These pages look great!

20. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    Hello, again everyone! :) I have six more chapters of Shogaku Yonensei to share with all of you as well as the short comic that was featured in the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Official Guide Book!

Shogaku Yonensei - Chapter 01 - April 1992

Shogaku Yonensei - Chapter 03 - June 1992

Shogaku Yonensei - Chapter 14 - May 1993

Shogaku Yonensei - Chapter 15 - June 1993

Shogaku Yonensei - Chapter 16 - July 1993

Shogaku Yonensei - Chapter 17 - August 1993

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Official Guide Book Comic

There's a lot of really great art and interesting story elements featured in these new chapters! We also get to finally see Yoshihiko Ochi's artwork! Before now, we have only seen small previews of their work for the Sonic manga.

There is still nine more books that I am currently trying to get a hold of. They are a mix of three Ninensei, three Sannensei, one Gonensei, and two Coro Coro Comic Specials. It's going to cost around another $200 dollars to bring them home. If anyone is willing to help me out please consider donating to my Ko-fi page. Any donations that I receive will be greatly appreciated and I just want to say thank you very much for all of the help! I'm trying very hard to collect all of the missing chapters from each grade so that we can complete and enjoy this manga series to the fullest! :)