don't click here

Sonic Prime (Netflix Animated Series)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Dec 10, 2020.

1. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Cherry picking this just to mention generally that it came from the person that joked about working on the show. I'm with jubbalub in that I can only assume it was someone joking, at least, as the rest of the account was horribly unprofessional. We're talking "posting incredibly mean spirited things about another animated scene a few weeks ago and constant insults/shitposts in replies" unprofessional. I don't believe we have any actual information on how that scene came to be.

2. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    The sprite animation is anger-inducing not just because it looks like a teenager's Newgrounds flash animation from 2002, but because it feels like they purposefully removed frames to make it more "retro", because they genuinely think audiences won't understand "retro pixel art" unless it's so limited that it has only two frames per animation.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
  3. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Along with knockoff music. Can’t pay Masato Nakamura for 10 seconds of Sunset Hill Act 3 eh?

4. XAndrew

XAndrew

Yeah Ian really needs to stop trying to explain and recontextualize things. It's really getting redundant at this point.

5. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    That situation is complex enough that the 2nd movie replaces part of the GHZ melody during the Paramount logo so they can use it as Tom's ringtone instead. No way they're going to try to work something similar out for a Netflix cartoon.

6. Ehfvanteis

Ehfvanteis

Finished this series the other night (watched it all in a day). It's... fine?

I enjoyed it, but I don't feel passionate about it. The pacing issues that creeped in during "season 2" really started to bite here. Watching the fight scenes were exhausting, and I would have gladly skipped one of those episodes. It was one of the most repetitive things I've ever seen on TV.

Despite that, I still enjoyed it overall. The voice acting was solid and I'm one of the few that enjoyed the ending. "Tails as a villain" just works for me as a premise, and I think they got Nine pretty much spot-on. Nice to see Shadow get some good characterisation, too.

A mixed bag, to be sure, but it's not that bad, and we've had far worse storytelling from this franchise over the years.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    I feel you. I stopped watching the new Marvel and Star Wars shows because of how annoying social media can be about them.

8. Wildcat

Wildcat

I finished today. I think it was good...if it’s really over. Nothing amazing but good. I liked the Chaos Council, the robot clones and some of the humor too.

I agree the fighting for the latest episodes was too much. 1 whole episode could have definitely been removed. Should have dedicated that time to something else.

I’d like to see a “Season 4”. It’d be interesting to see even more alternate worlds. Whatever or whoever arrived at the end could be something new. Now that the Prism is fixed maybe someone found a way to access other locations without breaking it.

9. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Yeah, this whole storyline would probably work better as a 1.5-hour movie rather than an 8-hour series. Ironically, that's the exact opposite of the problem with the Mario movie, which should have been longer.

10. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I’m more concerned that Sonic wasn’t absolutely pissed at whatever that was when it spilled all those chili dogs!

11. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    I won't deny this show has some great screenshot material in it
    [​IMG]

Fun Fact: In this scene, you can see the end of the world in the distance LOL
    [​IMG]

12. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Finished season 3 a while back. I guess I'll post my belated thoughts.

Prime was okay overall. Not great, pretty flawed, but nothing terrible (aside from Sonic's over the top characterization).

The big battle at the end went on waaay too long.

So now everyone goes back to their dimension and Nine stays at the Grim alone? I know that's what he wanted, but it feels kinda... unfitting, given his supposed development? Like, thanks to Sonic he learned in the end that he can trust others and doesn't have to be alone. So he should know that he doesn't need isolate himself at the Grim, and should instead work on making friends.

Dread's development felt rushed and forced. He had been never shown to care about Black Rose (or anyone) previously. Then suddenly he gives up the prism for her, and even randomly passes the captain position to her. I know what they were trying to do, but it felt like an asspull. It's as if they suddenly realized that the show was nearing its end, so they rushed his character development. Would it have killed them to cut some of the (many) unnecessary fight scenes to give him proper development?

Pretty sure he used the emeralds Rouge was holding to Chaos Control.

The Sonic X adaptation was supervised by Sonic Team and made it clearer that he needed them.

That's why he took the long way instead of just warping to the room Rouge was trapped in. He couldn't CC without the emeralds.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2024
  13. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Does that not prove my point? Shadow does White Jungle, fights Sonic, then immediately Chaos Controls to where Rouge is without an emerald.

Otherwise I'm confused about what you are saying since it seems like you are saying that Shadow can just warp to any emerald's location at will.

14. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Counterpoint to Shadow needing the Chaos Emeralds:

Sonic Battle shows that, no, he does not. He gives Emerl the seventh Chaos Emerald and they subsequently battle, where Shadow displays no power loss, with Emerl even commenting on Shadow's lack of Chaos Emerald. Shadow responds that all he needs is Maria in his heart:

24:45

And yes, he uses Chaos Control in his moveset regularly:

Secondly, Shadow the Hedgehog also has at least one instance in The Last Way, the final level, where Shadow needs to use Chaos Control to get past some of the level... after Black Doom has stolen all seven Chaos Emeralds and withdrawn into the Black Comet.

Third, Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), it's been brought up before so being brief, opening has him use Chaos Control when he's got no Chaos Emeralds.

So, no, Shadow doesn't need the Chaos Emeralds for Chaos Control.

15. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I always liked the interpretation that he can do a short-range Chaos Control by himself but needs an Emerald for longer distances. Although upon reflection I may have gotten that purely from Super Mario Bros. Z.

16. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

As far as I recall he was never shown Chaos Controlling into that GUN base. As I understand it he breaks in.

17. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    But the point was that Rouge was locked in the vault and couldn't get out on her own. If Shadow could just break in without warping, why couldn't she break out?

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    There'll be ways to open the place on the outside for whenever the response team is ready to enter and deal with whatever's caused the lockdown without having to destroy their own infrastructure to get back in.

19. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I know it doesn't really seem in character for Nine to give his top goons personalities like Chaos Sonic but I feel like if all the different episodes Inside the grim were them dealing with a different Grim variant testing all the characters like Chaos Sonic it would have given the episodes some individuality.

20. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    The credits theme song is catchy, I made it my ringtone