don't click here

Sonic Prime (Netflix Animated Series)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    When the next batch comes out I'll start writing more episode plot summaries on the Retro Wiki. Right now I don't have Netflix because I was waiting for the show to return first.

2. MH MD

MH MD

It is dishonest cause all the 24 episodes are completed actually, production-wise, we know this like a year ago, they could air it right now if they wanted, but they released them in those arbitrary "batches" , and call em "seasons", when it is in fact one whole season, i am pretty sure one of the animators said that the decision of greenlighting a second season was based on the success of the first season when someone said that they would wait for all episodes to release to watch it

cutting whole seasons into smaller patches and calling them "seasons" isn't anything new, for netflix or TV in general

3. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    No this is inaccurate. They were still animating the other two halves of Season 1 when Part 1 came out in December. We know it from the animators talking about the show on Twitter. https://twitter.com/MAM_Imaginary_F/status/1601335379361411072 https://twitter.com/DillanMurillo/status/1615081493172473856 https://twitter.com/WildBrainStudio/status/1615399015243472897

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    We're totally getting JoJo'd on this by the way. JoJo Part 6 released in three parts as well but took an entire year from the first batch to the end to release.

Sonic Prime is already at seven months for "Season 2" to premiere. Looking forward to December then.

5. MH MD

MH MD

Nothing about those indicates that they are talking about the other 2 halves of season 1 at all, they could talk about working on season 2 "well, the real one" , and animators tend to work on several episodes too, so "i am currently working on the show" and "they gonna finally show the episodes i have worked on" don't mean they are talking about the same episodes here

......in fact the animator i mentioned that said you should watch it and not wait for batches to be complete is the same one you mentioned is working on the show

[​IMG]

Basically complaining about the release model and how it's not a full real season

....to be fair, digging further, while still complaining about the netflix labeling of the season -back in December even-, he mentioned that they still working on the rest of the episodes, don't know to what extent though

https://twitter.com/MAM_Imaginary_F/status/1603819569382305792?s=20

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Wildcat

Wildcat

Netflix is not doing anything out of the ordinary.

Regular tv often does the same thing. They air a few new episodes for awhile and then go on huge hiatuses seemingly just to drag it out. It took around 3 years for the new Ducktales to finish. Same with Gravity Falls and it had less episodes.

7. RDNexus

RDNexus

Still no less crappy of a move.
    They gotta rethink their practices, the audience has the right to boycott them in such cases.
    Too bad they (apparently) usually don't get much damage out of such practices...

8. Wildcat

Wildcat

I agree it’s stupid just saying it’s not specific to Netflix.

I’m sure the people making the shows have nothing to do with how their scheduled.

9. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Indeed, even if there are many examples even more ridiculous that this (Infinity War and Endgame, anyone?) it doesn't make this any less stupid.

10. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    What? What do those two movies have to do with Netflix animated series? Sure, they're the same production but there was never any suggestion that they weren't going to be two separate movies.

11. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    I know exactly what he's referring to and he's right on this. The Infinity Saga Avengers movie was announced as a 2 parter. This was during the 2 parter craze in Hollywood that started with Deathly Hollows. The success of that lead to other studios quickly trying to squeeze a few more movies out of a closing chapter of their established franchises (Twilight, Hunger Games, Divergent (lol), The Hobbit). This method was done numerous times in the past, but the latest of implementation were clear cash grab moves.

I'm not going to argue that Infinity and End could have been 1 movie. I really don't care. But you can't convince me that Marvel and Disney saw they could jump in on the the opportunity by pulling their own 2 parter stunt. After Divergent flopped, and the downward trend of The Hobbit films, Hollywood started to cut that shit out or make it less obvious.

12. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I was actually referring at how they've been sitting on their hands with not one but two completed movies for almost two years.

13. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    They were shot back to back, but End Game was not sat on for a year. Filming ended in 2018, same year Infinity War came out. There was still post production work that needed to be done afterwards.

14. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    A lot of people probably wish they sat on those movies for 2 years.

There's a reason this kind of thing isn't really done with movies. Say what you want for the monetary reasons for releasing 2 different films that technically connect to each other, but generally, it's probably not a good idea to put out a 5 hour movie, for many reasons. Current one is, People are starting to get antsy with *2 hour* movies, and a lot end up passing that easily.

You could probably cut out a bunch of stuff with Endgame and get something close to a movie that makes sense in 4 hours but then all of the actual emotional payoff of the many characters that have to be sent off for the movie wouldn't be there, which was really what Endgame was about.

This problem literally doesn't exist with TV or even streaming, under normal circumstances. You release an episode a week with the understanding that someone will either watch it as it's airing/ as soon as it comes out, or later in the week when it's convenient. You're not fighting for the one night a month (or a year in many cases) a family gets to go out and see a movie, you're fighting for people's time.

Netflix didn't invent "Just take the second half and call it Season 2", especially with animation, Cartoon Network was already trailblazing that in the 2010s (and even Sonic X is like that, there's no actual Season 1,2, and 3 like a lot of people distinguish, it's just 2 different editions of the same show), but they pretty much did invent "Just throw up all 8 weeks worth of content at once and see what happens".

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    What is the style of poster called where the heroes are doing cool stuff at the bottom and the villains are at the top menacingly? Forces had the same thing.

16. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Honestly seeing Shadow mug Sonic for his Jordans and having "season 2" shift perspective to him as he tried to save the multiverse his own way would actually pretty interesting which is why it absolutely won't happen.

17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I see gotta be honest, the first batch of Prime came and went like a fart in the wind. Whilst the animation was nice and I enjoyed the premise to begin with, it all went to pot once Sonic left the New Yoke City dimension, and it only picked up traction again for the final episode. Plus Sonic himself is the worst he's ever been. I've never disliked Sonic as a character until seeing him in this cartoon.

Will season 2 be any better? With Shadow to keep Sonic in check, maybe. But they could have quietly cancelled it and I'd not even have noticed.

18. Snowbound

Snowbound

The first batch of prime episodes had great animation and incredible voice talent for sonic and the alternate versions of his friends. The writing was solid but cumbersome. I lost interest by episode 6. I’m curious to see if this next batch will change my perception

19. Ura

Ura

Brazil
    "Crimson Angel - Honey the Cat" on AO3 (on Hiatus)
    Bro thinks he's reaching for the stars