don't click here

Sonic Prime (Netflix Animated Series)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Netflix usually does serialized storylines even for their cartoons and it seems like they're going for action adventure storytelling. I don't want to give myself too much hope yet but this is sounding better by the minute. I'm just worried about Man of Action's recent track record but fingers crossed.

2. Let's be entirely real, the Sonic brand is somewhat in shambles; we can convince ourselves that it's salvageable because we're desperate, and it is salvageable to an extent, but at some point a lot of companies just wipe the slate clean when things get too crazy. Crash 4 literally just upended half of it's series' history by rendering everything after the third game an alternate universe.

Given how many different directions, and retools Sonic has been through at this point, a reboot feels like it was only a matter of time. Now granted, its nothing is confirmed yet and it can easily just be a half-assed, phoned in series with self contained stories with no continuity whatsoever. But just be prepared for anything, any time a franchise starts delving into the multiverse is when shit gets crazy.

3. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Aww, I hope the games don’t reset continuity. There's zero need, as Colours was a soft reboot, which thinned the cast. And since then the game stories have been stand alone anyway.

Having a new continuity for the TV show is necessary. But there's no need to drag the games into this.

(And yeah, the games having a reboot is just wild speculation. But there is a trend in media to do this. And that logo looks a lot like the ones the games would have).

4. MH MD

MH MD

But then it goes out of it's way to address those games anyway, be it in cameos or the true ending.
    And even CTR remake before it had characters from all the series, even the most obscure of games, in fact it's the most crazy game in term of crash characters that are present, and that was a remake.
    So it's not that they wiped the slate clean entirely, but just making things more simple and familiar after remake of the first 3 games and be return to form, something Sonic already did a lot lately to the point of stagnation, Colors -and even unleashed to an extent- with only Sonic and tails and eggamn, Sonic 4, Sonic Mania.

5. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Let's think about this logically. We are probably getting a new game this year because it's the 30th anniversary. I highly doubt they would reboot the franchise in an animated show after the mainline game came out.

It's probably just a fun side-show, stop over-worrying about it. Sonic has had fan-proclaimed reboots six times now (SA1, 2, 06, Unleashed, Colors, Boom).

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    They never went past the reintroduction/clean slate point though, and after a while they stopped caring, that was their problem. Then you end up with Forces where characters are just... there. Like there's Silver. Why? Who the fuck knows. He's supposed to be from the future but he doesn't even mention that in Forces. Chaotix? Just there. Literally every character in that game is just there because they never bothered reintroducing these characters in any meaningful way. Like why are our only options Sonic, Tails, Amy, Knuckles, Eggman or everyone at once with no explanation as to why they're there? Give me a game where the main characters are Sonic, Rouge, and the Chaotix. Idk just, something different. If I see that damn orange tablet again I swear to God.

So start over again but do it right this time.

EDIT: Who considers SA2 a reboot? Tonal shift but def not a reboot. Boom was also a sub series spin off, that doesn't count either.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  7. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

I swear, if they reboot the games and then also force IDW to reboot its story to follow because of mandates, I'll probably be done with the franchise.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Nah, I don't see that happening. Especially considering how Tangle and Whisper found their way into the Forces Speed Battle game, something tells me Sega's happy with the comic's direction as is.

9. RDNexus

RDNexus

I don't see an issue in a potential reboot. In my opinion, the franchise needs it, HARD.
    However, it had to be done in the right way, of course.
    If it were to get screwed up again, then the franchise could be deemed as good as dead.

10. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Let me get this straight: is all this "possible reboot" talk just because the show is doing a multiverse plot?

Seriously, did I miss something or is everyone just freaking out over nothing?

11. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

I feel like the answer to this question could be yes and you'd never be wrong

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • List
  12. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    NEW. that's...I dunno what to make of that. That would imply that it doesn't involve the same shenanigans as Generations yes? But then...what would come out of that?

13. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Can we discuss, for a moment, all the confusion this name is going to cause for ignorant parents?

"Mama, I wawnna watch Sawnik Pwime!"

"Alright honey, let me fire up the Amazon app for you!"

14. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I’m exceptionally good at worrying about things I don’t need to worry about. It’s like a party trick that I can’t turn off. :V

15. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

This is the real Prime 4. Turns out it wasn't actually Metroid after all.

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Honestly, I don't see this being an issue. "Prime" isn't an unheard of suffix outside of Amazon's delivery service.

17. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    I think the recent news of Sonic's English game voice actor changing, coupled with what sounds like the Sonic game English script writers also changing, combined with this being a big anniversary year, are notable contributing factors to this kind of talk.

Me personally? I'm not sure whether or not I believe that a significant series "reboot" will happen, however I can see the sense to do something of that calibre during a major anniversary year, to tie those things together. We'll just have to wait to find out.

18. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    It's hard for me to feel like there's any need in an outright reboot considering how many of the recent mainline entries could pass as soft reboots on their own. Sonic Team is pretty good at just doing whatever and ignoring what's happened in the series these days. That said, if one is happening anyway on this scale I can't help but feel we'd hear about it as part of a larger, sweeping initiative, a la Boom's announcement. It'd be strange to unveil this show in a vacuum like this and then down the road staple on "Hey, by the way this affects the video games!"

Maybe the cartoon will have some Cool New Friend that pokes their head into this game or the next, but I'm not expecting much brand synergy on this one.

19. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Speaking of brand synergy, the previously deleted earlier announcement Tweet of this Netflix series did use an image containing the same (Slightly altered.) Sonic render used as part of the 30th anniversary logo, so there's that tiny connection at least.

Although yeah I definitely feel your point, SEGA aren't exactly known for maintaining solid consistency across all media when it comes to the Sonic I.P., that's for sure.

20. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Transformers Prime was a thing too.

Didn't expect the multiverse, but I'm curious on the approach. MoA has done something similar in the Ben 10 series, mainly Omniverse (though iirc, it doesn't happen till the latter half of the series). Wonder if it's gonna be like different versions of the cast, completely original universes, or a mix of the two. Could have an evil version of Sonic like Scourge, but not Scourge (not like that'd prevent Penders from raising a stink). I'm definitely interested.