don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. "Original" in this instance is referring to those Sega Sound Team prototype tracks. Her stating that there are songs that cannot be used is a crystal clear reference to any composition SEGA had to license, which afaik only includes the several by Buxer/Jackson in S3 and the entirety of S1 & S2.

Thankfully those aren't omitted, cause what would S1&2 be with fully revised music and sfx? American Sonic CD? ...oh the horror

2. RikohZX

RikohZX

Not like they're actually modifying a rom here, so a lot easier in that regard.

I don't mind Carnival Night and Launch Base proto, but boy do I hope Ice Cap isn't so boring.

3. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    We'll know very soon what's up, at least. We're two weeks out from release so if early copies don't go out to press / influencers, that's the day we'll find out.

Ha, hadn't thought about this. Interested to see that too.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Xilla

Xilla

If anything it might pave the way for a "full" release of the Sonic 3 and Knuckles OST on Spotify and the likes.

And it would also be nice if the demo tapes Jun has also made their way onto said release - like Masa's demos did.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    If they go as far as editing the credits, they might as well add in the actual composers for the music, like Miyoko Takaoka.

6. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Or could they keep it for reference - as in have "ORIGINAL SOUND TEAM" then "ORIGINS SOUND STAFF" maybe?

7. Tomonori Sawada, Atsuko Iwanaka, Masafumi Ogata, Masanori Hikichi, and Masayuki Nagao too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I feel like 90% of arguments that take place here are semantic anyway, so it stands to reason it'll happen with a statement like this.

9. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Don't get me wrong, I'd like to believe it, but her stating "the original" in comparison to what exactly? Our privileged information leads us to believe that the original works produced and used in the Prototype and the original PC port. Why would Jun need to adapt music that was made for the game in the first place? I believe Jun is trying to adapt what is "generally considered" the original music. If they wanted to reference the alternative tracks, they could specifically mention the old PC port, but haven't.

In time, we will see, but I still believe "original" isn't referring to the prototype music but in the context of "adapt" it means "remixing the final music into something we can legally use".

10. LucasMadword

LucasMadword

LucasSaturn Member
    The beta tracks weren't finished. It's very clear that the songs were definitely not 100% arranged or finished within the beta (they feel somewhat empty, as if they're just getting in the building blocks of the song), so it stands to reason that Jun Senoue would have to go in and make them suit the rest of the songs within the game.

I don't see how remixing them would make sense. You'd basically have to create entirely new tracks from scratch in that case, in a similar style to the "MegaDrive originals", versus just finishing the arrangements of the beta tracks.

11. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

So with this cat out of the bag; what are the odds the Sonic Twitter will post some of the finalized tracks leading up to release?

12. corneliab

corneliab

I feel like this would be a very bad PR move. :V

13. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

They’re kinda already between a rock and a hard place PR wise as it is

it’s either admit to the loss of the release tracks and give people who already know a taste of the new/old ones or make everyone find out after they’ve already locked in the purchase

14. Turbohog

Turbohog

Disappointed that the "MJ" tracks aren't making it in; I still prefer them over the proto/PC collection tracks. But if this was what had to happen for this release to happen, I'm okay with it. (Not definitive editions by default now though lol)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  15. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    It seems like their intentions are to keep as quiet as possible up until release and just avoid saying anything if possible, so posting the new tracks seems unlikely. I mean, we're only getting this confirmation through Katie in a Sonic Official, and we're lucky to have Katie in the first place honestly because she's addressing the one thing everybody's been asking about in chat. If everyone weren't begging for answers, SEGA probably would've just let it play out.

16. RikohZX

RikohZX

And now that Lego Dimensions not-Ice Cap is gonna be a long-lost homage of a thing many kids won't even get unless they look it up online.

17. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    It's entirely fair. The game literally doesn't play like it's supposed to, has multiple downgrades in many aspects, and is touting itself as, or as being as good as, or as being even better than the original despite that objectively not being the case even with the additional content.

Just like SADX 2011, A casual will not be able to precisely differentiate, but the inaccuracies remain.

18. God, this website is such a downer-

I'm personally fine no matter what tracks they use, bur I think some of you are reading way too far into what Katie said.

19. Turbohog

Turbohog

Idk I think posts like yours are kind of a downer.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Wow the great Sonic 3 music mystery finally shaken up a bit, and yeah gotta love the specific wording Katie used "can't use all of the original sounds."

If they are the proto tracks it would make sense they need some touching up and ripping straight from the prototype untouched wouldn't work very well.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022