Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Or they could have just wanted to make their own game instead of Sonic games

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    It would’ve been cool if they were working on Mania 2. But it’s also cool they’re doing their own stuff. I am very excited for what they’ve got in store. We all should be!

3. Welp… should I get ready for disappointment in regards to who is developing Sonic Origins?

Don’t get me wrong I’m more than happy for the team and I am eager to see what kind of game they will cook up.. but at the present moment, my concern has now increased.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  4. Beltway

Beltway

Temptive Bongwater, Sealed in Can Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    college courses / anime trash crusader
    Writing was on the wall for months, foregone conclusion.

Sucks, but ah well. Wishing the ES team the best. (And Stealth/HC too, would be kinda cool if he's helping out with ES' new IP.)

5. Turbohog

Turbohog

Again, companies can work for more than one game at a time. There's no reason to conclude Taxman and co have no involvement with Origins.

Regardless, this was the best move for the team. Excited and hopeful for what they are able to make.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Evening Star is a small studio, developing their first 3D platformer and first original project. I can't see them trying or even wanting to juggle their new game along with yet more Sonic ports.

It's a shame that ES likely aren't working with SEGA anytime in the foreseeable future, because I'd love to see more Sonic games from them. But frankly I've been keen for them to have the opportunity to prove themselves as more than "those fans that made a Classic Sonic game" for a long time, because that dismissive mindset totally undermines the bales of talent that they have. This game, whatever it is, will hopefully do just that.

7. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    This isn't their first original project is it? They did that Captain Magnet or something or other mobile game didn't they?

8. Beltway

Beltway

Temptive Bongwater, Sealed in Can Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    college courses / anime trash crusader
    Major Magnet was by PadogaWest Games. That’s still an active separate studio from Evening Star, although I think one of the members from that studio left to join ES after Mania’s production.

9. SSUK

SSUK

Oldbie
    The news is bittersweet. On one hand, Sonic Mania was the best Sonic game Sega's produced in about 20 years so having the creatives not working on another Sonic game is disappointing. On the other hand, Evening Star working on something original sounds really cool and I hope whatever they're making is fantastic.

10. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Not to sound like a dumbass, but can you give an example of when that’s happened? Like a programmer/developer of one studio working independently for another developer/publisher? Unless there was a previous working relationship, wouldn’t that be considered conflict of interest?

12. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    A lone programmer of one studio working independently for another developer/publisher was never mentioned, so don't know why that was brought up.

As for companies working on multiple projects, it happens in our studio all the time. We usually have a main project, but if a client needs work that only requires a single programmer and the main project doesn't need urgent attention we often pull one programmer off the main project and put them on that task instead. Frequently a good allocation of resources, beats having someone sitting their twiddling their thumbs waiting for other things to get done (since you still have to pay them).

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List