don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Ah, fair play - could have sworn I saw Oil Ocean and Lava Reef on there last time we booted it up round mine, but guess my memory's playing tricks on me. Thanks for clarifying!

2. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    I've asked around and I can never get an answer... Does anyone here know the maximum capacity of each Combi-Ring before it decides it has to make another one?

3. Unbekannt

Unbekannt

Previously MiSHiKiS Member
    Ever since the Switch update went live, I decided to attempt the Dunkey easter egg since it's been removed from the PC and PS4(?), but it seems you can still trigger it at least on the Switch port.

Not that I'm complaining

4. Chris-M

Chris-M

I've been experimenting and the max amount of Combi-Rings that can spawn is 8 and every multiple of 4 starting with 8 will make another one spawn until 32 rings, after that the value of each Combi-Ring just increases based on dividing the rings you had by 8.
    I think the maximum possible value of an individual Combi-Ring is 124 and the maximum before hitting the spawn cap is 7.

5. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    edit: Chris-M has a researched answer that suggests the source I used was wrong.

6. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    Thanks! Good to know. One wiki states that there can be a maximum of 6 Combi-Rings, but multiples of 4 feels better and like Covarr said, this feels well researched. Thanks!

7. Chris-M

Chris-M

You're welcome. I was curious about this myself since the behavior of the Combi-Ring is so different from Chaotix so I used debug mode to spawn rings and monitors to test this out. I want to look at the code to make sure I didn't alter anything using debug, but I'm not sure if it's possible or how to do it.

I forgot to say that all the Combi-Rings have the same value, so if you have 11 rings only 2 would spawn both with a value of 5 and if you collect both you just get 10 back. I think it figures out how many Combi-rings objects to spawn first and then does an integer division of the value of your rings and the number it will spawn. Again, I would like to take a peek at the code to make sure that's how it is.

8. Deef

Deef

Regarding Big Arms hurting Super Sonic:

I think otherwise because it makes sense, its removal in S3&K makes sense, and because fighting a boss with Super Sonic is not an edge case.

Maybe you just think otherwise because you expected different. Is there anything that actually says it's a bug?

9. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Mania still making waves on the eShop. Was the second most-downloaded game on the European eShop in September (was #1 in August); and #9 this week on the NA Switch eShop. (Though on the NA charts, this is a notable drop from #4 from the previous week).

Different story on the September PSN charts, it's nowhere to be seen in the Top 20 PS4 games for both NA and EU; despite debuting at #3 (NA) and #8 (EU) in August. (Crash, for comparison's sake, is gone from the NA charts but still holding on in the EU charts.)

10. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    The fact that it's identical in nearly every way to the Ice Cap spike bug (and also the Sonic 1 spike bug), and was "fixed" in the same way (i.e. instead of branching to the correct routine to take damage it just patches in a solution specific to Super forms, meaning you can still take damage while invulnerable).

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It wasn't a bug in Sonic 1, though. :v:

12. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Awesome to see. Looks like the game has done well. This in tandem with around 110K on Steam is a pretty respectable performance for just over a month and change.

I would have been happier to see it perform even better than this but these signs are at least encouraging in terms of seeing future projects like this. Mania 2 has to be a lock at this point.

13. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Ended up confirming it's a bug. Made a playthrough with Tails today and the boss managed to get to the edge of the ledge and then it collapsed when the boss autodestroyed. In my video he autodestroys just as it's about to enter the ledge area.

14. Unbekannt

Unbekannt

Previously MiSHiKiS Member
    This is something I've noticed the moment I got into the Metal Sonic boss fight, and I don't think anyone has mentioned it? I may be mistaken, but what are those two Metal Sonics with the visible cracks on them supposed to be?
    https://imgur.com/a/J5Sr

Are they the defeated Metal Sonic bodies from CD/Chaotix? I assume that's what it is but I've yet to see it actually acknowledged

15. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I assumed they were new ones being worked on. Like, maybe the power of the phantom ruby lets Eggman build high spec robots like Metal Sonic more easily?

16. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    ...That's what you meant? I guess, man. In your video the ledge collapses as soon as the robot foot touches it. It looks like a feature since ledge looks like a collapsible ledge and it collapses like a collapsible ledge instead of exploding apart like the ground beneath the robot. In your test with Tails, I assume you flew to avoid touching the ground which somehow allowed the robot to walk further, but you have nowhere to land to complete the act so I guess you can call that a bug if you want.

17. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Nope, It seems to be related with the number of hits you land on the robot. If it's walking fast, it collapses just before the ledge, if it's walking normally it collapses on the ledge and everything makes sense. And no, you can't complete the act because the explosion sound is played in a loop for eternity and the capsule never comes.

18. The Government

The Government

la belle dame sans fucks Member
    finally got around to playing/clearing Mania and it was so good. it was actually good. a sonic game. good.

something involving sonic being good, and not bad, was so un-fucking-believably staggering it knocked me all the way back to this hellforum

if only just to say, "wow, that was good!"

19. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    So...We getting an Xbox One X patch?

20. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    (good to see you, if only for a moment)