don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    I'm at a total loss of words for how ignorant those remarks are. But I believe you don't even realize it.

2. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    Depending on how Retro SDK draws to this screen, this is something that could be done automatically. I use Vector quantization to draw interpolated pixels, so they automatically conform to the established palette. I'd assume any engine that uses a palette (either explicitly, or through something like shaders) would do the same.

3. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    Speaking of jumbles of pixels, I for one am incredibly eager to find out what Knuckles will look like. Tails will probably be a spiffed up Sonic 2 style but S3&K Knuckles always felt a little out of place when put next to the 1&2 sprites. Maybe he'll be getting a brand new take on his design, that's pretty exciting to think about. :D

4. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    [​IMG]
    Something like this perhaps? I quite like it.

5. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Where is his tail?! :specialed:

That aside, that does look pretty cool.

6. Deef

Deef

Actually the 3 posts before you replied were talking about something else with rotation.

Something something attention.

I'd like to see how true that is. It really stands out to me to see 240p rotation on a 1080p device; all the sprite inners getting mangled when not needed. You might be right though, but the low-res way really does stick out a tonne already imo.

I imagine they did consider it though, and avoided for the reason you suggest.

7. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Argh ya got me!

8. Yeah, I think there's quite a big difference between discussing general art direction and nitpicking pixels. Some good, inspiring stuff came out of that topic I thought.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Assuming this game is going the nostalgia route, I bet Knuckles will be using some spiffed up Sonic 3 sprites. But it'd be nice to see those sprites with updated shading and a white crescent on his chest rather than the tan one (also wouldn't mind seeing some redone balancing sprites. Knuckles' pre-rendered sprites always looked kinda weird).

10. MalikTH

MalikTH

United States
    None; maybe disassembling ROMs, eventually
    I like it. Maybe a bit too much.
    Where did you get that, exactly?

Yeah, I think so, too. It's modern, but at the same time, it's classic.

11. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I think it speaks for Mania's quality and reception that the most criticizing we've done for entire pages are garbage pixels and how Sonic should rotate on slopes. If it'd be possible to address like Cooljerk suggested, there wouldn't be anything wrong with a compromise that lets the existing rotation stay while keeping pixel purists happy.

If not, it's not a big enough issue to stop me from playing Mania. I grew up on SNES and GBA games, so maybe I've accepted less-than-perfect rotation, I dunno. Eye candy is nice, but I like steady frame-rates more than extra effects. (Not that slightly prettier rotation would be strenuous on a modern CPU. Just saying what I look for in games.)

Both still involve nitpicking things about a corporate mascot well beyond our creative control; that was more the point than anything else.

I will admit though, I did the use that thread link for a quick joke and I'm sorry for doing it without thinking it through first.

12. No worries ;) I see your point but would have to disagree slightly, I think the community being vocal about art direction and such has helped shaped the image of Sonic over the past few years, what with the resurgence of classic & 90s inspired art from SEGA themselves. Whether it's just a nostalgia trip or a starting point for the future is yet to be seen though (probably a bit of both tbf). At least it seems more genuine than the likes of Sonic 4.

13. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    Someone made a fan-game of Sonic Mania using Sonic Worlds Delta...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTktslCrLdA
    Link: https://youtu.be/lTktslCrLdA

14. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    You know we're living in the future when games that haven't been released yet are getting fangames.

But holy moly, they put a lot of effort into that trailer and... Squee! Classic Shadow! :v:

I can't play it at the mo unfortunatly. :(

15. Deef

Deef

Jesus I saw "Studiopolis" and "download" and...

16. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    It's so cheap looking, like a Games Factory demo from the early 2000s, it's hilarious. Somehow it looks like they even downgraded Worlds Delta. The improperly scaled tile rips and butchered level design aren't doing it any favors either. Advertising default features of Worlds Delta is also worthy of a chuckle.

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    They missed a trick here,

they should have used the E02 engine. Make Stealth's game with Stealth's engine before Stealth makes his game with his engine.

18. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

It's like fan game remakes of Sonic 2 beta's hidden palace all over again, kind of. Heh.

19. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Actually, following on the remasters, Sonic Mania is using a new version of Retro-Engine and RSDK, not Stealth's Headcannon (E02) engine so the joke doesn't quite work :v:/>

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It's like Sonic's been shrunk down by the SCD shrink laser. He's tiny compared to the level =P