don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. A physical release would be cool, but some kind of limited edition case would be cooler. Like an old Mega Drive or Saturn styled case with a CD/DVD inside, booklet & everything. Or some kind of fake cartridge that turns into a usb drive with the full game on...

2. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I imagine people care more about an all new Sonic game in the style of the originals than they do about yet another Sonic 3 port. :v:

3. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    That, and Sonic Mania won't (probably) include any song by Michael Jackson :U

4. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    It would be cool if there was a GOG release. The cherry on top of the cake would be a PDF manual styled like the boxart of JP Sonic 1. I think that kind of style would fit the game very well. (maybe using it on the boxart of an hypotetical physical release as well)

5. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I agree with the people wanting physical copies of games. Steam is pretty great and by far the best way to do downloadable video games, DLC, etc. It's simple and so far quite reliable, but what happens if Valve goes under. The only reason it works is because there is a server disseminating games that remembers what games belong to what accounts. In the internet age companies come and go pretty quickly. My Sonic 1 cartridge is 25 years old and it still works. Sonic Eraser lasted like a year or two in japan only because it was virtual only.

I waited a whole year to buy Sonic generations because I have a policy of not giving physical money for virtual bits that appear on my hard drive. I ended up reversing my policy for Undertale but that's beside the point. I'll buy Sonic Mania on steam, but the sentiment of wanting something that is physical that can last is not childish and definitely not nitpicking. Is Sega going to release a physical copy? No, selling it for virtually no cost is a much better economic decision. But it's not crazy for someone to prefer to buy a physical copy.

6. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    IMO, a physical version would make more sense if it was a compilation of, said, every Sonic games developped under the Retro Engine, to deliver the ultimate Classic Sonic compilation.
    Having a DVD or a Blu-ray for a game that would probably take less than 1Go would be kinda overdoing it, unless every art and audio asset were uncompressed.

7. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    Seconded.
    If they actually do make physical PC copies, do you people think Sega will do the same thing for Xbone and PS4? Or would that just be a waste of money?

8. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    I'd dearly love a Sonic 3 remaster, but right now Mania deserves to take priority. Based on what we've seen and what I played of Mania at SoS, maybe, just maybe it can surpass Sonic 3 and the others to become the best 2d Sonic game ever designed. I think it's in for a good shout.

"The Sonic Retro Engine Collection" to deliver the ultimate Classic Sonic compilation :v:

9. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
  10. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    OK, I concede you have all made very valid points. In my personal situation digital downloads make sense, because I am comfortable with downloading the game onto multiple devices, and am WAY less likely to occasionally pop a physical copy back into the machine to replay it.

For example, I have bought Sonic 2 multiple times, and this is fine with me because having the game handy means I will more frequently pick it up casually and replay it. If I had to hook up my old Sega Genesis and put in the cartridge every time I felt like killing half an hour with Sonic 2, it simply would not happen. A lot of what I said was meant to be hyperbole and humorous. If Sega released both a physical copy and a digital I am certain I would buy both, and if the game is good, I would probably keep buying digitally time and again into eternity, so I have a copy at hand when the mood strikes.

I'm just saying that raising a fuss for a physical copy is simply is not going to happen unless is makes business sense to Sega, so don't bother… It's like being pulled from the bottom of a well after starving for weeks, being given a hot fudge sundae, and then asking for the cherry on top, or worse yet, throwing the sundae down the motherfucking well and huffing off like a bitch. :v:

11. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    iam8bit would probably be happy to work with Sega on a limited edition physical release. Just saying.

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    They do a physical release and I will walk into their offices and give them every penny in my wallet and my cards and PIN numbers.

13. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Wait, are you saying you don't have your genesis hooked up to your primary TV at all times? I'm shocked! :psyduck:/>

14. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Now this is a super cool idea. I'd kill for a Sonic Mania release in a retro Mega Drive or Saturn case. Highly unlikely but I'd love to see it happen.

I'm not expecting this to beat Sonic 3 and Knuckles but I'm anticipating that it'll be able to stand proudly shoulder to shoulder with the classics. Everything we've seen thus far plus the pedigree of talent behind this indicates it'll be a game worthy of classic status. At least that's the vibe I'm getting from the limited footage we've seen so far.

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I've been enjoying the fact we've been having a lovely discussion about the evils of DRM and I've not had to say a single word. Been deliberately not posting so as to not sway it. =P Aerosol's right, though, as painful as it'd be. Would happily pay an over-the-top premium for a physical release that doesn't require activation servers, or the regular price for a GoG release. There's principles involved.

There's also plenty of precedent for something like this and it working financially, though. Ever hear of Limited Run Games? Their stuff sells out faaaaaaast and is very nicely done.

16. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Excellent point. I know that IndieBox as another example has proven quite popular with the indie crowd and provides quite the amazing service for people who are particularly interested in physical copies. I wonder what the chances are of a third party coming on-board to provide a physical release?

Obviously the preferable scenario here is something official from Sega but I'd also accept a third party release if that's the only option.

17. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I'd prefer a physical release. Even then though, even if it's somehow racked with DRM, I'd still feel obligated to purchase it.

Sega needs to know that the game itself is the type of product we've been wanting, and that TaxStealth's efforts are worth funding. Otherwise, there's greater risk of future titles by this team not being greenlit by Sega. It would be an abysmal wasted opportunity for Mania to be a one-time thing.

Even if I'd just be "renting" it, even if I wouldn't be able to enjoy playing it as a result of that, I'd be showing them that I'm grateful that they gave me the cake, even if I'm not able to eat it just yet. Seems a similar situation to the Sonic 3 & Knuckles remastered campaign, where while it'd be far better to have the original music, it'd be better to have 3K Remastered with replacement music than to not have 3K Remastered at all. Better to have Sonic Mania with DRM than to not have Sonic Mania at all. Plus, if enough buy it, it could potentially find its way onto physical collections in the future. Or a DRM-less version.

Though I guess there's also the potential for Sega to read more people buying it as an "okay" to continue with DRM.

18. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    So long as it sells, there is no way it will be a one-time thing. Sega has put so much effort into marketing already, more than Sonic 4, which was basically a failure and it still got a sequel. It would make zero sense to resurrect classic Sonic, with all the fan and critic angst, just for it to be a one-off.

Have faith my child...

19. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Mania getting a sequel will be dependent on sales. However with the overwhelmingly positive hype and buzz this is receiving thus far the game should sell extremely well.

20. Deef

Deef

Again, we need a no buy Mania = ban policy around here. :specialed:

Seriously though, I'll be hassling whoever I know that can tolerate hearing about Sonic to get it.

Meanwhile I'm just hyped; wish it was here already. I dislike the whole pre-ordering concept but for this I make a big exception, and would love it if there are some pre-order goodies involved.