don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You know, this would be an awesome idea for a miniboss, if done in the same vein as the Flying Battery capsule boss.

2. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    Aha. I wasn't aware we had all those cleared up. What's the possible legal trouble about then if it's cleared up?

3. Linkabel

Linkabel

Oh yeah, somehow I was under the impression my original shipping date was March but it was actually May. Oops :v:

4. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    I'd really want Carnival Night and/or Icecap from S3, but I fear the MJ debacle means it'll never happen. (I could live with new music if I had to) As for the S&K side of the game, absolutely Flying Battery.

For mashups (although this would also be affected by the MJ debacle), how Flying Battery or Death Egg crashed into Launch Base? It was already a construction site, now it could have large pieces of rubble to run around/through.

5. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I don't understand the love for Ice Cap Zone, I find it one of the most unispired 16bit zones. If the expanded area went into some kind of chrome geothermal power station that ended with a deep lava level and boss then that would impress me. Other than that I rather have an old zone that just has more interesting stuff to look at.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think it's love comes from the snowboarding intro and the fact it's the only classic snow level.

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Don't forget the music. BGM plays a huge role in picking favourite levels, and Ice Cap is definitely one of the most popular Sonic tunes ever.

8. Deef

Deef

Looks like you haven't heard of this (vid). Prepare to have your mind blown...

[media]https://youtu.be/H2OWC5Hosv8[/media]

9. markwelsh

markwelsh

Have a concern about Mania after playing through Taxman's Sonic 1, 2 and CD ports. It's the trap and enemy placements. Some are so random and frustrating that it's easy to lose rings and/or die (especially CD's level design, very trial and error in the later zones). Can't quite remember Sonic 3&K but recall it having the best level design of them all.

I've seen this form of placement already in Mania and hope it's just part of the Alpha version. One example of this is when heading down the lower route of Green Hill Act 1 and not being able to notice the spikes. Or in Studiopolis Act 1 where you can be sent flying into an enemy. Sonic deserves the best game possible and hope the franchise gets it next year. I am truly excited for this particular one.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Going off that, that section with the moving platforms in Studiopolis when the camera flies come after you and you have to duck to avoid the spikes that come out, that is a veryyyy dick section

11. Retroman

Retroman

Just noticed this as Tee Lopes new youtube pic =P

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

You don't actually have to duck to avoid those spikes, but they do prevent you from attacking the badniks that are already in a very awkward place. There's a few bits like that in the level and from watching gameplay videos where players keep failing at the same sections, it's obvious where adjustments should be made. The game is still several months away - I think these minor issues will be patched up in due course.

13. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I have to agree 100% with this instance. It makes me cringe every time I watch it. You can't jump, you can't spindash. If you want to stay on the platform you have to get hit.

14. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    is that the trap and enemy placements on the new paths, or original paths (or in the case of Sonic 2, Hidden Palace + new paths?)

15. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    It also makes me cringe, especially because the solution of not falling back down and not getting hit is actually quite simple. Now, I'll admit when I played the demo I think I spindashed on the moving plaform to defeat the badniks and then tried to jump after releasing the spindash to reach the target platform (to the left) which............didn't quite work out for me, haha :v:

Like I said, the solution to getting passed that sequence is simple. When you land on the moving platforms (which move counter-clockwise) and you're getting near the spikes with those flying badniks bearing down on you; all you have to do is jump on the next moving platform to your right. You need to move quickly. Time it correctly (might take two of three attempts to get the timing right) and you will be able to defeat the badniks as you jump onto the moving platform (to your right). Then you will pass under the spikes (they won't hit Sonic if he's standing, like Blue Blood said) and you can then continue. Pretty straightforward in my opinion.

Some of the enemy placement in other parts of Studiopolis perhaps feels a bit harsh.

16. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Trial and error platforming in my 2D platformers? I won't have it!

17. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    I have, thanks. I just figured that because it was replaced in S&K Collection, that there's rights issues there as well. I could be wrong.

18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It's certainly doable, but really I'd say scrap the spikes. Keeping the badniks would be fine if you could guarantee that you could actually defend yourself.

19. Deef

Deef

On that note, enemies are something Sonic games were always weak at compared to Mario titles. It would be nice if Sonic Mania 2 (because please) actually stepped that up to the next level finally.

Of course they're different games and blah blah blah. Obviously Sonic gameplay isn't about slowing down to focus on enemies. But at the same time, Sonic games are about bouncing off things in different ways and popping little physics perks. Pits with 1 badnik that holds the secret to actually crossing the pit instead of exiting through its base somewhere. Ceilings that you must roll along to take out the badniks. Badniks that carry little swinging platforms that you can stand on. Actual chains that come together with a bit of thought that lead to new places. Etc.

20. markwelsh

markwelsh

The new routes in Green Hill. One example being as you head down the lower route. There are spikes at the bottom with no way to figure it out other than through trial and error. Another situation being near the end before challenging the mid-boss. If you stand on the crumbling platform it doesn't really hint at what is beneath it. A problem I had with Sonic CD.

The Studiopolis trial and error parts have already been discussed I think. Need to look at the footage again.

Make no mistake. I'm excited for this game, that's why I want it to do so damn well. I want it to be our first excellent (and I mean AAA quality) Sonic game in years. Maybe even the one to dethrone S3&K as my favourite Sonic game.

Edit: On that note, wonder how much pressure the team must feel to satisfy a fan base with a game of this quality.