Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MastaSys

MastaSys

People don't want a PC version to hack,they want to use the mods of other people themselfs without the hassle of modifying an console. :eng101:

2. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Well, Crisis City looks pretty much identical to its original. Haven't glimpsed any fire monsters yet, oddly...

Bingo.

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

They're in there. All their voice clips/sound effects and textures were in the demo. It doesn't look like it's gone through much of a reimagination though. Unlike all the other stages, it just looks like the original with a new layout.

4. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    BlueBlood: Actually I wouldn't mind that. Crisis City was in a bad, baaaaaaad game. One we'd think doesn't exist (for several reasons). Sonic Generations is likely a GOOD game. Crisis City therefore could be considered Generations' own stage if we're arrogant enough to believe it :P

Really I just like Crisis City's design and Generations making it playable is just awesome. Wonder if they'll add the boarding option though o.o

5. TorchicBlaziken

TorchicBlaziken

Sonic 2006 was a game with some awesome concepts, such as Crisis City, but ended up being rushed and very poorly executed. It's good to see that such a cool concept isn't being put to waste.

Also, the distortions in time-space must be huge if Sonic is in a place in a future on an alternate timeline that was erased from existence.

6. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Crisis City is where I gave up on Sonic '06.

I will finally be able to conquer it!

I'm hoping the level will be a fusion of City/Lava trope, at least on Classic Sonic's side.

7. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    So hey, are there only 90 red rings to collect? It seems like a special icon appears above the Zone names when you've gotten all 5 in Act 1 or 2. Anybody know if there are more strewn about in missions or boss fights?

8. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    This assumes that time moves in a straight line, which it very well may not. If going back in time to change past events is even possible, then it's more likely that we're operating on DBZ Future Trunks logic, whereby the new timeline and the old timeline become separate universes.

...Only '06 screwed the pooch even by that logic, so...

9. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

I'm not entirely sure, but that would be likely; they did that for the DS version of Colors.

EDIT: This is in reply to Sonic Warrior's post…

10. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Sonic follows the Doctor Who laws of time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY_Ry8J_jdw

11. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

Even with that logic it makes no sense. If Solaris still exists in the past then Sonic 06's ending did absolutely nothing. It had to have been erased from existence entirely, existing in no iota of time in any dimension.

So the very fact that Sonic can now go back to Crisis City which has Iblis creatures basically means Sonic 06's ending never happened. It's an official confirmation. It also officially confirms that the true 'canon' ending of Sonic 06 might have probably been the cancelled Nights of Kronos ending, whatever that was.

If this game isn't canon, then it doesn't matter. But if this game IS Canon, then the entire Modern Sonic storyline is now completely fucked up due to this.

12. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    It's just a game, I should really just relax.

This does not have any GREAT AND FASCINATING meaning- all it means is that Sonic Team looked at a turd and decided Crisis City was the cleanest bit.

13. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Anyone else notice Sonic Generations finally gave us Genocide City Zone?

...:v:

14. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    Explain yourself, mister.

15. Zakalaks

Zakalaks

I know its been said before but...

Canon?

16. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    [​IMG] OH NO MY PRECIOUS CANON!

It's impossible for Sonic 06 to be canon anyway so get over it

17. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Well it's kinda already "fucked up".

*Moon half-destroyed in SA2. Magically back to normal in Heroes.
    *All characters mysteriously got significantly shorter in Heroes, then really tall in 06, then more proportionately balanced in Unleashed
    *World map in Unleashed looks absolutely nothing like world map in Shadow
    *Tornado 1 destroyed in SA1. Magically un-destroyed in Unleashed (or Sonic/Tails re-built it)
    *All characters had their vocal chords surgically replaced in Shadow, and again in Colors

Also, now I know this isn't actually true, but sometimes I feel like Unleashed & Colors take place in an entirely new timeline from SA1/SA2/Heroes/Shadow/06. I mean, the only characters in those games are Sonic, Tails, Amy, and Eggman, and there are no references to past games, unlike SA1, SA2, Heroes, and Shadow (and SA1 referenced events from S3&K and CD, so you could even go as far as including the Genesis games in the pre-Unleashed timeline).

Well, when you think about it, the very last cutscene of Sonic 06 is still canon :v:

But who cares, because according to Generations they're all somehow in the same timeline :psyduck:

18. What are you asking? What is the definition of the word canon or are you questioning whether or not the Sonic the Hedgehog series HAS a canon?

To answer the first one: Simply put, canon is when a series of works connect to each other. For example, The Empire Strikes Back is the direct sequel to Star Wars (or A New Hope), and is part of the Star Wars canon due to the fact that it takes place after A New Hope and continues the adventures of the same characters from the first one. Canon is basically the storyline and timeline of events that connect various pieces of fiction.

Does Sonic have a canon? Yes and no. Inconsistencies throw canon right out the window, and in some titles there are inconsistencies, so one game can be canon with another, but not one in which events happen differently from the prior game. So for example, Sonic 2, 3, and Sonic and Knuckles are all apart of the Death Egg Trilogy because they all focus on Dr. Robotnik's plot to build and put into motion his most brilliant creation: a giant space station called the Death Egg. Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 are canon with each other because SA2 references SA1 with Tails having the emerald he was awarded with when he saved Station Square in SA1, as well as Knuckles reciting Tikal's Master Emerald ritual. The Adventure series connects with Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Sonic '06 through Shadow's involvement in each game, but Sonic 06 ignores the fact that Blaze the Cat is from another dimension in Sonic Rush and instead claims she's from Silver's timeline in the future. Heroes also ignores the fact that The Chaotix premiered in Knuckles Chaotix.

I like to think that each game has it's own separate, contained story and that they reference previous games in ways but usually do their own thing. Apparently though, following Colors the new writing team on Sonic wants to keep a consistent storyline going through the series from now on.

19. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    ...So?

It's a Sonic game. Exactly what do you expect? Why does it matter if the "canon" is fucked up?

If the game is good- would it matter if Knuckles was suddenly Sonic's uncle?

20. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    I've spent far too much time investigating every little horrible broken piece of Sonic's history. Sonic has no 'canon' except for whatever era he is in. So, Classic Sonic is connected from Sonic 1 to Sonic and Knuckles, and Sonic CD is in there somewhere. Dreamcast Sonic lives in the Sonic Adventure - Shadow the Hedgehog zone, and Modern Sonic is connected through 06 to now.

At first these were just suppositions of mine, but Generations itself has made these divisions 'official' as much as they're going to get.

So there is no one canon. There's just portions of the games which link to one another... and then the majority of side games or other ones don't link to anything much at all.

The only way a unified all-game canon could be made would be removing various games which break up the flow. And from there it becomes all subjective because some people hate games which are actually very useful inter-game canon builders while they love games which break up the flow. So the resulting timeline from any attempt at a true 'canon' becomes... an opinion. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.