Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    It looks like they did a good job with Chemical Plant, but I only needed some further proof of this after looking at the screenshots.

Now, that music, it's okay, but I have a concern that Jun Senoue is going to be involved in every single modern track, and that'd be a bad idea. I mean, Sky Sanctuary with guitars? No thanks. That guitar doesn't have to be in every single song. Doesn't mean that the songs are bad, everything sounds good aside from City Escape Modern. That's just out of place.

2. legareal

legareal

Does anybody else feel like the sound effects have been very loud compared with the music? From the GHZ demo up until this CPZ video?

The music often seems very quiet in comparison to some very loud effects, leaving the atmosphere feeling a little hollow?

I know it's more nitpicking but I'm really not that fussed about it, just something I've noticed. Hopefully you can adjust SFX vs Music levels in the options.

3. Dissident

Dissident

Sami Member
    Noticed something while rendering the video:

[​IMG]

I was a bit curious as to why we had never seen any red rings in Modern's levels, so it's nice to see confirmation.

4. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    I noticed that too, and a red ring for Classic in City Escape.

[​IMG]

Multiple paths in different planes. I LOVE it.

5. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    All I will say is Modern CPZ's Music reminds me of Megaman X

6. Non-stop chills during that Modern section of Chemical Plant.

Fuck. I don't think I've been excited for any Sonic Game ever since, well, Sonic Rush, Advance3 or Heroes.

Just god. I'm lost for words. Fuck the Sonic Cycle for this game. That stardust speedway remix, god, just give me it NOW.

7. Flare

Flare

Loving the Modern CPZ music, best remix of the music I have heard. No disappointed at all.

8. Dissident

Dissident

Sami Member
    Finished uploading the video. Here it is in YouTube HD.

9. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Love the fucking slap bass in Chemical Plant. It just looks fucking fantastic in both Classic and Modern forms. Not the biggest fan of Shitty Escape although it does look fun. I would've championed more dreamcast/modern levels in this game over Classic if the choices would've actually translated well into the Classic style... but they blatantly fucking don't! I DO think that Planet Wisp and Seaside Hill will look great in Classic mode, but the rest of them? Pah!

10. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    I came several buckets. The CPZ remastered music is perfect, and the modern version of the level reminds me of my favorite parts of SA1.

It just makes me all the more hope they find a way to fix the controller lag on the final, because if Sonic's handling isn't as brilliant as the visuals it's going to be like getting the best blow job of your life but then having your cock bit off halfway through.

11. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    The music changes when he goes underwater

[​IMG]

and then Modern City Escape plays

[​IMG]

And Chemical looks stunning.

It's a shame that they probably won't do another game with aesthetics like this and they'll go back to the Sawnik in the real world type enviroments.

12. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    Look- Sonic Team- we don't care if it doesn't make sense, just.. make this game.

With new levels.

Forever.

Deal?

13. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    It looks like the screens in motion which translates to fucking good. I wasn't even that excited about Chemical Plant but seeing the retro-evolved superman-HD visuals here makes me love this. I really can't wait to play this. When the Green Hill Zone trailer dropped I was really hyped for Generations and some of the stages like this one and Speed Highway are going to be thrilling to play. I still however feel a little letdown that there's not more levels from Sonic 3 or whatever. I would have loved to have seen Ice Cap, Hydrocity and the rest.

Perhaps if this sells a shit-tonne Sonic Team will DLC more levels? One can dream.

SPEED EDIT: The remix of the Chemical Plant Zone music is fuck-awesome.

14. Dissident

Dissident

Sami Member
    Eh, I doubt it. Last time they tried to do that reactions were mixed at best, whereas Colors was the most well received game in almost a decade; Colors was even less realistic than the classics.

15. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    I think it seems extremely likely that one or more people at SEGA saw this video, and everyone's reactions to it, and thought "well shit, we have an amazing art department, we could do something 1000X better than that".

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxXycBv3Rlk[/youtube]

AND THEN DID. SONIC FUCKING GENERATIONS.

I think that if this game sells well and gets great ratings from the critics, we'll see plenty more stuff like this. If nothing else maybe they'll either do a Sonic 4 reboot or at least have Sonic Team handle episode 2 with this engine.

EDIT: which part of
    Code (Text):
    1. [youtube] [/youtube]
    do you not fucking understand, board software?

16. Dissident

Dissident

Sami Member
    It's [media][/media]. :eng101:

17. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    That made me laugh... alot!

And I agree the gameplay is definitely not there yet, but I can't hate them for it because they actually give a shit this time about making Sonic better.

18. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Classic chemical plant seems awesome. It reminds me a lot of the bad future levels in CD. I do like how they kept the blocks but made it easier this time by giving you a chance to get up to the top before the water comes too.

Oh and seeing the modern one in action gives me even more eggmanland vibes then before haha.

19. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

Is the player playing easy mode? This game doesn't look challenging at all thus far, let's hope the levels have a Very Hard mode ala sonic 06, except done right.

Not only that, sure, the levels look stunning and the soundtrack is right, but where's the gameplay? All I'm seeing is modern sonic running through a reskinned sonic unleashed with better graphics. Yeah, okay, we get it, Sonic has the ability to dive in a pit, but he could do that in unleashed. At least this time he can go underwater, but I still hate that boost gauge with a passion. And seriously, where's the exploration in the modern levels? All we have is Sonic running down a linear racetrack, there's no exploration like the dreamcast sonic levels had.

Overall, mixed feelings. I'm loving the classic gameplay, but I'm not a fan of the escape from the city remix, they should've just used the adventure 2 version of it, seriously, then used the Trial version of the song for classic sonic. I like the stuff they added, but I feel they haven't added enough to differentiate this game from Sonic Unleashed.

20. serpx

serpx

After seeing Chemical Plant, I've got to say, this game has the potential to seriously be the best Sonic game since Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and it may even have the potential to go beyond if Sonic Team can nail the controls and physics. Man I am so excited. Chemical Plant looks like a masterpiece. Would love to see more gameplay, especially gameplay that isn't RUDELY INTERRUPTED from City Escape.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.