don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread II

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Oh yeah I overlooked that when the whole review babble was going on. What are you up to 'jim?...

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    You know what disappoints me about this game's cutscenes? They could have poked so much more fun at the continuity of the series then they did. Like I like how they mentioned saving genies from magic books and intersteller amusement parks. But I mean, come on. They could have had modern Sonic fuck up the Egg wrecking ball fight for classic Sonic, they could have had modern Sonic simply groan at Shadow being an idiot in that second cutscene after that boss since he knows what happens. Robotnik could have gotten ticked off by modern Sonic calling him Eggman. Hell they could have been confused as to all hell what Crisis City is. But most cutscenes simply take place in that white abyss. Hell, Classic tails just shows up out of no where to my knowledge. Where did he come from?

Beyond that though, I want this game. Why is it not tomorrow?

One odd thing I noticed though. They're using the SA2 Eggman theme in this game instead of the 06 one, funny considering not only has it been used for all "modern" games but at the same time it's played outside the boss gate for the egg dragoon, a game which used the 06 eggman theme.

3. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    That reminds me, what are the chances of SEGA adding some other characters to be playable via DLC in the future?

4. Demi

Demi

Oldbie
    I will fucking murder you.

5. So, not sure if this counts for a spoiler since we already know about the intro, but I'm going to play it safe...

I saw a playthough of the final boss, and afterwards it had Sonic and Co. reappear at the party, with Sonic making a comment about how his chili dog wasn't even cold. Can anybody imagine Eggman's version of the same concept? I can see it now...

Eggman leaves through the time portal with his newest fiendish plot to rid himself of that blasted hedgehog once and for all...

-----3 SECONDS LATER-----

Orbot: I have to say, that has to be a new record, Doctor. Were you even trying this time?

6. I am not sure if this is a joke post, but what the hell, I'll bite :

1) Classic Sonic is sucked into the Vortex FIRST, so it's safe to assume he's wandering around the white space whilst we, the player, are controlling Modern Sonic after he gets sucked in.
    2) "Doctor Robotnik!" "Bah, No one calls me THAT anymore!"

7. Tylinos

Tylinos

Wait, which ones do you mean? Knuckles for Classic, yeah, and I guess you mean E-102 for Dreamcast, but what about Modern? Silver's the only rival battle I can remember Sonic having out of '06, Unleashed, and Colors.

8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Slightly false alarm there for 17! I didn't find EMBB069 since it's listed as just BB069; it's for the Genesis Sonic 1 part of the hub. Dunno why it's listed so weirdly like that though.

9. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    That is a really good point, actually. Now that you bring it up, I always seem to get a hot-head over older-style games getting reviewed unfavorably compared to the big hits, even though we're all aware of reviewer bias.

You're absolutely right, it would be great if Kirby RtD and Sonic Generations got 9s and 10s across the board, but they are doing well considering how little they do to change their formulas, aside from some spit and shine and touched up controls. (Ironic, considering one of the most popular genres in gaming at the moment seems to haven't changed a bit since 1999, but whatever.)

Now, comparing a new game to and older one in the series and rating it lower because it's too similar/dissimilar is another monster altogether. Games should be rated purely on how entertaining they are, not because "This game in the series differs too little from the previous entry, ARGH MINUS 20 POINTS" or "The previous game and this game had completely different goals, but blah blah docking some points."

10. MastaSys

MastaSys

Actually there's a cut-scene after the credits that show the Doctor's fate after his defeat, and I might say it was the worst and more cruel to this day.
    But as always he will find a way to overcome it.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Normally I'm not one to make posts such as that but idk. And it's such a minor minor minor x 1000 flaw. It's alright really. Like I love this game, it looks great and I can't wait to play it tomorrow. Relax, I'm not one of those "SONIC 06 HAD AN EPIC PLOT AND THAT MAKES IT FUN" type of people. I just would slightly have liked to see more references to Sonic's past conveyed through cutscenes.

And yes, the Robotnik mention. That did make me smile when I heard it. Still seeing as how he referred to himself as Robotnik up until Adventure 1 (and slightly 2), it'd seem like Eggman would have been more of an insult to classic Robotnik then it is to modern Eggman.

Also despite classic Sonic being sucked up first, it still doesn't explain where classic Tails came from, unless I'm missing something. I mean it makes sense that he's in the white space too but they never show him running into modern Tails or Sonic. Unless is there a cutscene where you save classic Tails like there's one when you save modern Tails?

12. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    Hey Retro, it's meta time:

[​IMG]

13. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    They didn't really use allot of the modern tropes they usually use in this game but I'm thinking its because its an anniversary game and they wanted to go with things people remember and not any recent stuff. it'll be the next game that decides weither the tropes were dropped all together.

I miss the orchestral final boss track already...

Also, those pre-rendered cutscenes in the launch trailer and trailers before it, where the hell are they in the game? is it in the games intro (not first cutscene)?

14. Demi

Demi

Oldbie
    I'm talking about you saying all this "X said this and then Y happened" without spoiler tags....

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    FFFFFFFFF I'm sorry I didn't even realize since I thought everyone spoiled everything for themselves by now. Fuck

16. Running it through a flanger is probably the simplest way to do it.

17. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff

2 Pages back man :/

18. Vangar

Vangar

I can't believe I have to post this, but:

Lets be clear on the final cutscene, where Tails calls classic Eggman Robotnik. He says:

"Nobody calls me that anymore *waves hand, like brushing it off*. If you would be so kind as to explain, gentleman genius Dr. Eggman From The Future."

They aren't trying to make out like it's a bad thing, and they aren't trying to hide the fact he was called Robotnik in the western world. They added it in there for us, the classic hardcore fans, as a joke. He's saying no one calls him that anymore because no one does in modern games...

1) Modern Eggman must have told him it's a better name and he gets called that in the future.
    2) don't take it so seriously.

He doesn't put emphasis on it, he doesn't get angry.

Thanks.

19. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

God damnit. Edit your posts. I already read half of it by the time I figured out what was going on

-_-

20. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    Basically, Dr. Robotnik became Dr. Eggman BECAUSE Dr. Eggman from the future came back in time and told Dr. Robotnik to change his name to Dr. Eggman. BEST ONTOLOGICAL PARADOX EVER