don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread II

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
  2. BluGenesi

BluGenesi

Canada, eh
    Making films
    This game was the only game besides sonic cd that I really wanted last year, I watched everything I could on it until it came out... Sucks that I didnt get it until the 28th of december... But I loved it... It was easilly the best console sonic game since Sonic 3 and Knuckles, I beat the story mode on the 30th, but I continued playing, they finally got 3d sonic right! Adventure 1 and 2 were only a bit over mediocre for me, and a huge gap of crap followed, unleased and colors both had decent "modern gameplay" but then 2 huge gimmicks shat all over it.

Sonic generations and the new port of sonic cd put faith back into sega and proved to me Sega didnt just give up after the amazement of sonic advance! It is well worth the mini price tag of 20 bucks now! Just pick it up now!

3. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    Game Grumps requested it, and the fans delivered!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TnQVJWi1T4

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    The Steam version is 75% off again in celebration for the release of Big Picture Mode: http://store.steampowered.com/app/71340/

The deal lasts until December 10th.

5. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    HOLY SHIT THE PC VERSION GOT A PATCH

HOLY SHIT THEY JUST FIXED RANKING ATTACK IN THE PC VERSION.

ALSO THEY FINALLY FIXED THAT PROBLEM LAPTOP USERS WITH NVIDIA OPTIMUS HAD SO NOW I DON'T HAVE TO JUMP THROUGH HOOPS TO PLAY IT.

WHY THE FUCK DID THIS TAKE MORE THAN A YEAR TO FIX.

Also you can now control the config tool with a gamepad, because they had to do that for Steam's new Big Picture Mode I guess.

EDIT: Rankign Attack just crashed for me after playing a couple of levels. Oh well, at least it no longer crashes instantly.

6. I was wondering what that patch was, hope it's fixed the "crashing while trying to load up rankings" I kept getting.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Annddddd none of my mods seem to work anymore...

Hackers? At arms. Fix this... fix.

EDIT: Never mind, all is well. That scared me for a sec.

8. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Tried reapplying cpkredir? Obviously if they updated the EXE, your existing cpkredir installation would be removed and need to be redone.

9. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Just tried it, just repatch the EXE and mods work again.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So does anyone know the full extent of what this patch actually did? It seems so strange that it would come a year later. The console version didn't get a patch too did it?

11. Joltanz Mantis

Joltanz Mantis

! Member
    Quebec, Canada
    I sing
    FINALLY.
    I am pleased.

12. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Here's what I noticed so far:

- Nvidia Optimus users no longer have to mess with GraphicsConfig.cfg to get the game to work with the Nvidia GPU, the config tool now properly recognizes it.
    - The config tool now looks a bit different, the mouse cursor in the config tool can now be controlled with an Xbox 360 controller. This is because of Steam's new Big Picture mode which got officially released today, with this mode it's easier to control Steam with a gamepad.
    - The config tool now also properly tells you what kind of AA it uses, you can now choose between none or FXAA.
    - Ranking Mode has been half-fixed. It no longer crashes instantly, but it still crashed for me after playing a couple of levels. Progress!

13. ezodagrom

ezodagrom

Something I noticed after the update, when going to the Sonic Generations properties in the steam library, there's a beta tab there. The beta option is password protected, but maybe this means that they may be working on more updates?

[​IMG]

14. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Did they fix the Rouge mission crash yet? It'd sure be nice to actually be able to 100% this thing.

edit: Yes, they did. It's about time.

15. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    So as I guessed, nothing related to the actual game changed, just the external DLL junk. Explains why the main exe didn't change at all. For anyone who does use mods, don't panic at the update, it's just Steam's verification redownloading your old exe sometimes. Just run SonicGMI again, apply the patch, and it's all good. It's still the same version of the game, even the Unleashed Renderer patcher works on it with the same addresses.

16. Joltanz Mantis

Joltanz Mantis

! Member
    Quebec, Canada
    I sing
    Only bummer is not having that many options for configuration... And for some reason the tool says it's my Intel HD graphics card, yet it runs the game at 1366 x 768 at a fairly high frame rate, even though when I really used the Intel previously I got horrendous fps...
    I wish there was more than high or low so I could put on medium...

At least I can finally try out all the wonderful mods!

17. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    Anybody have a backup of the old launcher? This new one is terrible. I was going to back up mine, but got distracted and it got overwritten. Never mind, the old launcher crashes.

Also, the update kinda broke my installation, so I had to get rid of a bunch of stuff and have it re-download (none of the huge stuff like the disk folder). I didn't pinpoint which file it was, but I moved the installscript.vdf, steam_appid.txt, configuration files, the dlls, and the executable somewhere else and just had it re-download them, and that seems to have fixed the issue. I tried just the dlls and/or the executable to no avail, so I think it had something to do with the first 3 things I mentioned. Just a heads up.

18. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    So... as part of the new config tool changes and for it to work properly with Big Picture mode, the configuration tool now renders a D3D9 window separate from Aero itself.

YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS

[​IMG]

It even simulates HDR!

19. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    That's...dumb.

20. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    You could also have gone to the properties of the game on Steam by right clicking on it, then to Local Files and clicked on "Verify integrity of game cache", which will make Steam check to see if there are any files missing and download the missing files.