don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tng_RIV0-tE

Here's me playing through some levels with the Unleashed physics.

@Falk: the 360 version of Unleashed was capped at 30FPS, the PS3 version however was capped at 60 and would constantly range between those 2 marks in gameplay.

2. Falk

Falk

That's what I meant with the edit. As in, Unleashed might have physics files that worked on 60fps across both platforms (no point inventing two different wheels) despite x360 being capped, as opposed to Generations which ran at 30fps on both platforms (with PC being the forgotten outlier), hence they may have made tweaks for the game to be more responsive or whatever with 30fps physics calculations/input polling/whatever, which have unintended side effects when the game runs at 60fps.

Like I said, a shot in the dark, but it might well explain why it happens only on PC version. Completely unrelated, something similar happened with the id Tech 3 engine derivative in CoD2/CoD4/etc on PC where physics hilariously broke at 333fps. At 91fps (1000/11) you died falling 300 units. At 333fps, (1000/3) you took 97 damage falling 350 units.

3. KuroBit

KuroBit

Oh no, wall jumping is something you guys where trying to fix? I had accidentally fixed it a long time ago by changing a few values, but I wasn't aware this was a big mystery or anything or else I would have saved what I had done.

I don't think it's anything unusual, I think it's just like tweaking some sort of special gravity value or something, but I can't quite remember. All I know is that it's just a slight bit too high or low, so just a minor change fixes it and you start sliding down.

Sorry I can't help more than that... (My computer is broken, so I can't try this out myself)

4. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    WIP Screenshots and video of Dragon Road, now with the vertex format properly transformed into Generations' format.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's a video. Water isn't implemented yet because I gotta figure out the format for that. Also, this stage plays at 60 FPS constantly for me.
    Audio is a bit unsynced with the video, it's just a recording problem.

Also as a sidenote, it has been brought up to my attention that the normals in that video and screens are flipped. I can fix that in my code since I was pretty much guessing where the binormals and tangents where. If I swap them it will work perfectly. I just did this vertex fix for Dragon Road at the moment.

5. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    [​IMG]

6. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Replace the red with white.

EDIT: REPOST!

7. Falk

Falk

8. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!!!!!!!!!

Nice work, Dario. Very nice.

10. Is it possible to have a side by side comparison of Generations vs Unleashed? I wonder how different they look :P

11. Bareirito

Bareirito

Argentina
    Sonic - Mystery of the Chaos Emeralds
    Not quite different. Their differences are actually quite hard to spot. Shadows on Dario's version look a bit toned down (to me). By the way, I didn't checked out the whole video of the original stage, but what I've seen so far gives me the hint they are actually the same.

By the way, Dario, your work is marvelous. I'm replaying your video so much. I'm looking forward so much for this! :)

12. Cyrus

Cyrus

Sonic Gear 2.5D Unity3D Project
    Haha the mid air saw blades instead of mines was hilarious xD

13. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    It's impossible they're toned down. They're the same files. :v: (even better quality from the DLC) Or you mean related to the color instead of the resolution? It's just harder to notice it because console version is sub-720p. The shots you're looking at are 1600x900.

Also working on the other stages as well(forgot the instancing on this one, I think normals are corrected now though):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh and the red textures at the start that blended got fixed as well, but I didn't take a shot because it looks ugly without the instanced grass at the moment.

14. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Beautiful, beautiful work Dario. It actually looks like Unleashed now! Just get Jungle Joyride fully functional and I will have all your manbabies.

15. Y'know, I own a copy of Generations, but I couldn't get through the werehog stages and the awful flight stages with stupid quick time events. I always heard the daytime stages were great, so I can't wait for this new one.

16. LesbianPonyArmageddon

LesbianPonyArmageddon

New Zealand
    Pissing around with Generations files.
    Dario I love you please have sex with me.

On another note, I'll second the unanswered question from last page, is the teleporting in Jungle Joyride fixed yet?

17. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    [​IMG]

omg its generations with lock-on technology

18. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    My gosh. Dario... Seriously, this is absolutely insane what you've accomplished with Generations. My hat's off to you, sir, you've truly outdone yourself.

19. That One Jig

That One Jig

aka RichterSnipes Member
    Somewhere in America
    (Not) Working on My PokéHack
    I know everyone else has said it already, but I just have to say it myself: this is just breathtaking! Dario, you have transcended greatness and are now part of your own elite class. To be able to tear apart and reassemble a new game like Generations in the manner you (and the others) have is unbelievable! I'm really looking forward to getting a chance to play, or at least properly see played, these Unleashed daytime levels without a medal system or Werehog to worry about.

20. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Honestly, having the Unleashed levels with better controls and a framerate above 10 fps in some areas will definitely be a good thing.

At the very least I'll finally have a good answer as to whether or not I found it unplayable because they never considered that people playing it on a typical HDTV would have any input lag, they made the controls too tight, or they just designed the levels too cheaply in the first place.