don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Sporks

Sporks

Hey all, new to Retro, and I wanted to start learning how to make a stage for Sonic Generations. Where should I start? By that I mean; which guides should I use, and what programs should I get?

2. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    http://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:Import_Levels_Into_Sonic_Generations

3. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    Does someone have the Adadubstepbat version? I would love to have it for later, like to change the White World song to that! :specialed:

4. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I must have missed AdaDub. :( Love everything in the White World mix though. So good.

5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Ditto. I want to hear it!

6. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
  7. Sporks

Sporks

Thanks! One thing though, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get 3DS Max, (I know about the student liscense thing, but I'm not exactly sure I qualify.) is it possible to use something like Blender or Google Sketchup?

8. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    You'll need an Autodesk product anyway because of Havok, the software Sonic Generations uses for Physics. You'll also need something just up to 3DS Max 2011 because Havok doesn't distribute their older plugins for newer programs, and you need the Havok versions of the 3D tool and the game to match if you don't want crashes. Havok is necessary for exporting both physics and skeleton/animations.

You can still model anything you want in those programs and just export it to Max easily later. It's not uncommon for people in the industry to use like 3-4 tools to do their models and get them in the game.

Just a note, the tutorial isn't really meant to be followed step-by-step if you want to do an original stage. For example, making your entire terrain collision is normally a bad idea, and I'd suggest you keep a separate, simpler mesh for collision.

9. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Question: What's the ideal import scale for Sonic Color stages to import into Generations?

10. Falk

Falk

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19357938/rofldub.mp3

11. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    I personally scaled Planet Wisp 10/100, like pretty much every other import of mine.

12. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I used that ActorX Importer to import the PSK files from BrresViewer. I usually import at 1.0 scale then scale it down to like 10

13. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Yeah, that's basically what I meant. Scale it after importing.

14. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Related:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu7mrncYGzo

I can't believe its not Jun Senoue!

Awesum job Falk.

EDIT: Before anyone says anything, I don't follow this topic religiously as others. so I may have missed when these where already posted on Soundcloud or something. sorry.

15. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

All life form data, successfully copied! Member
    At my home in Florida
    Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
    Inside this spoiler are some screenshots of Metal Sonic Generations' newest change.
    I'd like to re-introduce you all to Eggman Nega.
    He'll be replacing Eggman in Metal Sonic Generations!
    You can click on these screenshots to view the full-size versions of them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The head, mustache, and hands were taken from Eggman's Generations model (with a few recolors.)
    Everything else (the entire body, the sunglasses, and the goggles) was taken from Eggman Nega's Mario&Sonic 2012 Olympics model (Which explains why many parts appear to be low-poly / jagged.)

P.S. - I WILL also be making a Classic version of Eggman Nega.

P.S. - If any of you managed to predict that I'd do this, then you deserve a bro-fist!

Edit;
    Minor updates on Eggman Nega.
    The lens on his shades and goggles were too dark. Those have now been fixed.
    [​IMG]

Additionally, I've gotten Eggman Nega to pilot the Egg Dragoon. Soon, I'll be recoloring the actual machine.
    [​IMG]

Edit 2: Electric Boogaloo
    Modern Metal Sonic, Classic Metal Sonic, and Modern Eggman Nega have been added to all applicable cutscenes!

Here's 5 screenshots from the Mirror Room cutscene
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's 5 screenshots from the scene where Modern Eggman gets abducted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Metal Sonic + Tails = lol wut. I know you aren't going to replace those two but it looks rather out of place.

Also, unrelated, but damn Classic Tails's model is 1000x superior to his modern one.

17. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

All life form data, successfully copied! Member
    At my home in Florida
    Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
    I do plan on replacing both Tails' in a later release of the mod. For now, at least the two Metal Sonics look good in all of the cutscenes (not counting the video-based ones.)

Also, speaking of Classic models...
    Now, I'd like to introduce you all to Classic Eggman Nega.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    With Metal Sonic, it'd be neat if you can run Sonic's voice files through a filter similar to how Ryan Drummond's lines were filtered in Sonic Heroes... only without coming off that horrifically deep.

Bonus points for Classic Metal just making his beep beep boop robot sounds.

19. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    I had assumed that supersonic would've been the replacement boss for this fight, but this is good too (and more technically practical I bet). Great job on this and the Eggmans.

20. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Sort of like some other mods where the android/metal versions of Shadow and Silver are put through a filter to make them sound more tinny and robotic?