Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    They did not cook in this regard.

2. I hope whoever decided Knuckles' glide needed tank controls, a very very horrible day.

3. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    [​IMG]
    GIVE IT BACK!

4. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Good news! That person doesn't exist, because that's not what tank controls are.

5. I don't care what it is, I just know I don't like it.

6. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    This update is absolutely designed for people who are into Frontiers, understand how to play it, and don't mind the increase in difficulty. Unfortunately, the update does not do a lot in catering to newer people or relapsed players in the beginning.

7. I actually do like the platforming challenges, there's just a bit of jank but that's just the Sonic norm at this point.

8. Snatcher42

Snatcher42

Well I played the initial Amy, Knuckles, and Tails segments, and am now back as Sonic. It takes used to being underpowered again, but it's been mostly fun. Here's a tip: unlock cyloop as soon possible, so you can farm rings, infinity boost, loot, etc. The quickest way to do this is find a Koko surrounded by a ring matching the color of your character (pink for Amy, red for Knuckles, yellow for tails). Talk to them and they automatically give you 5 skill points, which is all you need.

Edit: Also the new characters are super slippery, so you'll want to put deceleration back up.

9. Yeah Frontiers is staying 7/10 for me, and barely at that. This final update is wack. Controlling Amy is miserable, spent way too much time fighting the camera while struggling with Amy's jumps, and then as soon as I got to Knuckles and tried gliding, it was like what little enthusiasm I had got drained away.

10. I do like these platforming challenges though because holy fucking shit they are hard.

11. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
  12. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

Can't wait for the same people who were hailing Kishimoto as the king and savior of Sonic to go back to calling for his resignation because the deceleration meter broke on accident

13. While it doesn’t use the hammer its in the game as her stomp bounce move.

14. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    People are absolutely going to be vile about their experiences and it's going t be obnoxious.

15. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Wow...

This was... messier than I thought.

The base game's open world map was a solid experience all the way through. The playstyles of the other 3 are a mixed bag, but that's honestly not my big problem. I got used to them all and in fact they can get broken pretty quickly.

I'm trying to do the first tower as Sonic, but I maxed out my stats and speed and... holy crap, I can't do it. They made the platforming challenge insanely hard to do when you have max speed on all the time, and requires too much precision to actually master easily... and if you fall? You start the whole thing all over from scratch.

I'm... very not happy with that. At all. And I 'really' liked the open world and platforming design of the rest of the game so far, but this is a difficulty curve beyond difficult. This is just unfair and janky. And I had zero troubles with platforming in the main game. Nothing like this at all.

16. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

I'm having fun but this is definitely not going to change your opinions of Frontiers at all. It's more Frontiers whether you like it or not.

Also some of the stuff they added is total BULLSHIT lmao. It's like Sonic Team saw people criticizing the game for being easy and said "ok, fuck you"

17. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Is my PS5 controller drifting, or if when you stop pressing a direction with a character, even for a second, they still keep going for way too long?

18. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

The deceleration meter broke, as far as I can tell. Seems like if it's anything other than 100 the character won't stop for a few seconds, like they're always at 0. Setting it to 100 fixes it.

19. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    To be clear, my controls are fine. The engine isn't glitching. The games responds exactly as it has in all of my hours of play before this point.

These towers are just insanely hard and removed 'too' much of the automation without accounting for the 'actual' level of control even an above average player can manage.

I am apparently being punished for maxing out Sonic. When you hit max stats, his top boost speed isn't ever disabled, which makes these platforming challenges much harder because boosting constantly overshoots things, yet the challenges seem to expect you to boost at several points.

This was not well thought out. At all. I'm legitimately not sure if I can beat this, and I'm seeing reports that it only gets worse on later towers.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2023
  20. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Just finished the trial of the dragon and the first tower and now I'm climbing the second one. This is really good so far. I am absolutely in love with the challenge on display here.

I thought it was just pretty decent when I was playing as tails amy and knuckles, but now that I'm playing as sonic i'm in love. These towers are tough, but incredibly fun to climb and the new cyberspace levels are an absolute joy to speedrun. I really really enjoyed climbing the towers while at maxxed out speed, I enjoy the push and pull of needing to know when exactly to use your boost intelligently.

EDIT: I forgot to even mention it but the music is amazing too. As expected from sega sound team. I cannot wait for this to turn up on streaming services in a couple days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List