don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    They’re adding that in one of the 1st dlc packs, but just because there’s a way to play the songs in the game doesn’t mean it’s easy to hear them outside the game.

I’ve always found sound tests kinda pointless because I’m never going to turn a game on just to listen to its music. It’s a moot point now since it’s on Spotify now, and now I’ll listen to it on that, but yea.

Also Sega never seems to care about their soundtracks being put on YouTube, least not for Sonic games.

2. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    But sound test :(

Wait until the next Steam sale -> buy Sonic Frontiers -> audio record sound test -> enjoy your day.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean at this point if you want to listen to the music via paying for it, buy the album. Only buy the game if you want to play the game lol

4. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I can't confirm this, but the label of "juke box" and accompanying Sonic emote in the open zone on the roadmap suggests to me that it is the vastly superior kind of sound test where the music keeps playing across different parts of the game until you tell it to stop, which is so much more useful than the menu where you can listen to one track and that's it.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yes if it is in fact that kinda sound test that’s great, especially because of plot dependent songs that don’t play again after that part has passed.

Chaos Island movements 2 and 3 are far better than 4, I want that lol. Generations effectively did this method and it was great (and in my last play through I used a mod that replaced those tracks with Frontiers music. You know what goes really well with Perfect Chaos? Undefeatable).

6. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Well, and just think of how many songs you probably only heard a little bit of during your playthrough. Plenty of cyberspace stages have the Forces problem of ending before the song actually kicks in, and I'm sure all of us had at least one (if not many more like me) point where you got an emerald, b-lined it for the next one, and barely heard any of the actual ambient theme playing.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Actually if you play the game efficiently enough and 100% it, and dick around after like I did, you can still get tutorial messages. I got one telling me what to do despite literally no memory tokens being left on any map. It was kind of funny lol

8. lopinjop

lopinjop

Sonic 25th Anniversary Party Enthusiast Member
    Sitting here reflecting on Fronteirs after beating the true ending with 30 hours of playtime a week ago. Despite its flaws, this game far exceeded my expectations and was the most fun I've had with a 3D mainline title since Heroes. That's a massive accomplishment in my book, and I can't believe I'm genuinely looking forward to where they take the series from here.

Sonic Team has a bad track record for reinventing the wheel with each new game, but if they can kick that habit for a Fronteirs sequel with more polish, we could be in for something very special.

I want to see them take the axe to all traditional boost levels and 2D sections, and just focus on building varied and visually striking open zones. Tighten up the movement a bit, spice up the combat a touch, improve the environment design, keep the music and story direction, and they would have a home run in my book.

Excited just thinking about the possibilities here. Wow.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  9. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Review aggregates, one month from release. These are likely the "final" metascores for Frontiers.

Opencritic - 72 "Fair", 114 reviews, 54% of critics recommend

Metacritic:
    PS5 - 71 "Mixed and/or average", 84 reviews
    Switch - 69 "Mixed and/or average", 17 reviews
    Xbox Series X - 61 "Mixed and/or average", 12 reviews
    PC - 74 "Mixed and/or average", 12 reviews
    PS4 - 81 "Generally positive", 4 reviews
    -
    Xbox One (No reviews)

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    No, you're not the only one. The open-zone stuff is fine (if not particularly memorable), but I'm not a fan of the cyberspace stuff at all. Frontiers for me suffers from the same problem that Sonic Boom did musically - what's there is either servicable or bad, but either way I won't remember it in a couple of weeks.

Even 06 had a memorable soundtrack despite the rest of the game being a trashfire.

11. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I don't think it's fair to call the soundtrack bad given that it's clearly clicking with a lot of people, but it definitely isn't something I vibe with. The open zone stuff doesn't stick in my head and nor does the cyberpsace stuff, bar a few here and there. I'm not a fan of the big EDM(?) focus and I'm disappointed that neither the butt rock of the modern era nor the jazz fusion inspirations of the classic games are represented here. Still, I absolutely respect what they've done with the soundtrack, there's clearly a lot gone into it and I'm sure people who are into the specific genres it pulls from are feasting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    meanwhile i think the music is objectively "good" (well composed, fits the enviroments, is serviceable etc) but it isnt memorable to me except the Wyvern boss theme which is a fuckin earworm

13. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    the physical release is also up for purchase on cdjapan too :oldbie:

I still adore this game's OST, particularly the drum and bass cyberspace tracks and the boss themes. I'm looking forward to my copy of the OST coming in so I can get that stuff in sweet sweet WAV.

14. corneliab

corneliab

The cyberspace music is excellent and saying that the associated tracks all sound the same is just an ignorant opinion, flat-out.

I once got stopped by the voice in the sky, twice, to give me a lengthy, first-hour-tier spiel about the benefits of exploring the world. I was in Ouranos. It was so weird and random that I'm wondering if it was an error handler.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya that’s exactly where I was, I was grinding battles to get the phantom rush achievement (amazingly despite 2 complete run throughs, I didn’t achieve 50 phantom rushes.)

Also never got around to fighting ghost until yesterday. I honestly thought those sections were like, unfinished leftovers I never knew how to trigger those fights and never sought them.

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Ghost is weird, because you have to go out of your way to trigger the fight rather than just approach it like with all of the other Guardians. In fact, "fight" isn't even the right word for it, because you don't actually fight it. It's just a timed platform challenge.

The combat in Frontiers is super shallow. I thought it was okay enough to begin with, but nah. It's not great and it doesn't belong. Having to stop and fight enemies with a bunch of basic attacks isn't fun. And the alternative is to use Sonic's various cutscene attacks, which aren't really any fun either. Incorporating the Cyloop could have been nice, but it never evolves beyond "circle enemy to expose weak point". Then enemies taking multiple hits doesn't actually add anything either. It's padding.

Ghost is probably the best "fight" in the game. It's not the only fight that incorporates platforming (Caterpillar, Strider, Squid and others many others) but its the only one with quick and varied phases and without multiple combat cycles. It's such a simple idea that synergises excellently with the core gameplay of the open zone. Now if only that core gameplay wasn't just homing attack chains, springs, hoops and rails that all play themselves...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    That really doesn't solve anything, actually. They pretty much had that with the "Digital art book" and "Mini soundtrack" that digital deluxe editions were supposed to come with. All that did was give people something to rip directly from. The problem is that people want to listen to the music outside of the game, any time, anywhere, and what's the easiest way to access that? YouTube, which is not only on your console, but your phone and your TV, on top of your computer. If SEGA wouldn't be able to provide that as fast as the game drops, the next best thing would be to claim the work they've already done.

I'm doing an awful lot of assuming but I'm sure that you could have literally one person go through all the uploads that are *just* the music and claim them for SEGA. Their job would pay for itself after that.

18. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I'd gladly prefer listening to sound test over those goddamn ads. Especially on the Switch in handheld mode. These ads are annoying as fuck. In the worst case, they cause reactance and the consumer loses interest in the product. That's how I feel about it.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well what a shame, Genshin Impact ended up winning the players choice Gamer award :V

20. We're robbed.

The journey was fun tho, if we at least ignore the fights on Twitter.