don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Rough translation/summary of the TGS interview before the gameplay footage:

0:00
    - Basic interview introduction
    - Talks briefly about how SEGA is busy with both Mania's release and Forces’ upcoming release, notes that Mania has been very popular overseas

1:35
    - “This time there are three main characters; there's Modern Sonic who plays in a 3D environment with super-fast gameplay, and then there's Classic Sonic who emerged out of Sonic Mania – that's the reason why Classic Sonic appears in Modern Sonic's world, and they cooperate together. And then there's the Avatar character, who is inspired by games where you can customize your own character. In ‘normal games', you can customize a human, in this Sonic game you can customize an animal, such as a dog, cat, etc., and this character you create joins Sonic along his adventure”

2:35
    - Second interviewer brings up Shadow, mentions that Shadow is very popular are excited to be able to play as him again
    - Interviewer says something about Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic appearing together and how they appeal to different audiences

(Note: I have never taken a Japanese class, so take this with a grain of salt. My Japanese comprehension is all over the place and rather unique - I was born in Japan and went to pre-school/kindergarten there, but have lived in the US since I was six. Wish I could provide a line-by-line translation but my vocabulary just isn't there yet.)

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Well, it's good to see Sega has learnt absolutely nothing from the Mania Denuvo fiasco. *sighs*

This I did chuckle at, though.

3. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    I'm not buying it now; I was already on the fence but after seeing the DRM slow my PC down during Mania (the game ran fine but everything else dragged, making recording the game difficult), I'm not wasting my money.

I would say I'm gobsmacked that they haven't learnt their lesson from Mania... then again, this is SEGA, so I'm not that surprised.

4. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Well I guess I'm fucked. I have to either deal with bad performance on the PC because of Denuvo, or bad performance on the Switch because of Switch.

5. Denuvo didn't slow my mvci experience.(not to mention nobody gave half a shit when it was in other games so whats the big dumb deal?) And even if forces has it, it'll be curbed in seven days tops.

That interview gameplay took alternate routes that others didn't, ill add it to the sand hill map.

6. RikohZX

RikohZX

My computer's a desktop system as my only method of playing Steam games, and it's a beefy rig at that which has had no problem with Denuvo on larger games.
    My general concern is whether I should even bother getting the game in the first place.

7. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Could it be that Denovo isn't the problem. Sonic Mania was delayed for performance issues (officially).

Granted Mania is the only Denovo game I own and I have a fairly beefy rug.

8. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I recently bought a high-end gaming laptop that has zero trouble running anything. Doom at 60fps on maximum settings and pretty much every game I've thrown at it so far. Quad-core i5 7300HQ and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 for those curious. So Denuvo or no Denuvo I have a machine capable of playing Forces. Despite my previous optimism on the game however I think I might wait for reviews. If it's a solid 7/10 or above I'll probably get it though don't have high hopes. Wonder when the recommended specifications will show up on the game's Steam page? I should surpass them but it'd be nice to get confirmation.

The game doesn't look that much more advanced than Generations so I'd expect most machines that can handle that should be able to play Forces.

9. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    More confirmation of the obvious...however I guess he's back by the time the Sonic Mania & Knuckles story is over! & Knuckles

10. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    English version of the story trailer was just put up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbIO4uO7awg

11. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    E: Ninja'd by TimmiT. Oh well

12. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Please tell me I'm not the only one who burst out laughing when Sonic said "here goooes pard'ner!"

I can't be

13. Finally Silver doesn't have a voice that doesn't make me want to pull all my hair out one by one. Knuckles sounds good as well.

14. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I laughed more at "Fine, I will show you fear... then pain"

15. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Omg that was a good one too. I also like how Eggman basically starts this whole war with a good old "I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG!!".

Forces' story is going to be precious and I am 100% ready for it.

16. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    So I am one of those people who got into the series with SA2B, and even though I love that game I acknowledge its flaws, as well as the fact that the game really does get a little too dramatic for a series about a blue hedgehog defeating a mad scientist capturing woodland animals to put in his robots. A reason I like Unleashed so much is even though it's the same Monster of the Week™ formula as the Adventure games, Shadow, 06 and even Heroes to an extent, it is a fairly lighthearted adventure with characters like Chip and Professor Pickle (and even Eggman for the first time in a main series game IIRC) providing a lot of comic relief. It still ends with an over the top fight against a kaiju but it's a different kind of adventure from the games that came out earlier in the decade. I just hope this is what they're going for again with Forces. I'm fine with Eggman finding/creating/whatever another death machine, all the older villains making a comeback, and the whole losing a war kind of rhetoric, but I think it would be a mistake for the game to take itself seriously the entire time. I think Unleashed, Colors and Generations have showed us that occasional snippets of comedy woven into a plot can work really well for Sonic. I know Unleashed was also E10+, but that rating worries me just a little bit.

17. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I wouldn't worry too much about them going overboard with serious business. If anything, at least this game has the cartoony-ish art direction in its favour.

There were a few moments of comic relief in that trailer, like when Knuckles gave the OC a pat on the back and they fell over. It's not comedic genius or anything, but stuff like that is good and I hope there's more of it.

18. Felik

Felik

Is it me or the trailer has very strange sound mixing?

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It's cringeworthy. I realise the intended target of the game, but after a title like Mania comes out and some respect is finally thrown Sonic's way by the general public after so many years, Forces is a painful return to form.

20. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    My best guess is that they basically just took the raw English audio clips and pasted them over the footage shown in the Japanese trailer.