don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    im impressed O_O it's really good! that put my spritting job to shame, it's really really good...
    well, let's see what flamewing say about it, if he say it's ok, you can modify them if you want, I don't mind at all since you seem better than me at this

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I agree with Chimpo. That could make the animation look more badass.

Also, making separate sprites for Knuckles' fists would allow for more fluidity in the animation, without the need for any inbetween graphics, or even that last frame.

3. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    mm...not sure if you checked, but I've already made 2 transition sprites a page back...let's hope that flamewing likes them...if not then I think I'll leave the job to another person who could make animations better than me, but at least I tried and did my best :P

4. This would be brilliant for Sonic's facial expression alone. Although Sonic is clinging onto Knuckles' side more so than his feet. It's nothing that a spot of tweaking couldn't fix. But going for the examples below will save the trouble of repositioning sprite art. You've shown that it's possible to use existing sprites of Sonic and Tails and use them as a sequence consistent of Knuckles' gliding. Most notably changing directions within mid-air.

This will most definitely save time and hassle. Unless comedic value sways you. :v:

5. Put Sonic and Tail's faces in the upper set on the lower set of sprites.

It would look perfect then.

6. Some quick Superimposition.

[​IMG]

7. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    Like this?
    [​IMG]
    Indeed, I think this indeed looks better than it was.
    Like that, yes; thanks!

I think I like the bottom ones. Now to write the code for it (which should be fairly easy, actually).

For Tails carrying Sonic and Knuckles at the same time, I am thinking of going with something along the lines of this:
    [​IMG]
    Sonic would hold onto one of Tails' hands and Knuckles would hold onto the other, with graphics (yet to be done) along the lines of those for Sonic. For Knuckles carrying during climb, I am unsure yet, but welcome ideas.

For Sonic carrying Tails and/or Knuckles, I was thinking of running sprites (for Sonic) with the arms stretched back; Tails and/or Knuckles would hold onto these arms and be dragged by Sonic.
    I'd love to see what you can do with the other frames too. To avoid having your work be mangled when I have to convert it to my current palette, I would recommend that you work on the following palette:
    [​IMG]
    The top line cannot be modified and should be used only for the muzzle; you are free to adjust the reds in the second line, but the other colors are basically fixed. You can use the blues in the second line to shade the eyes.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya pretty much like that.

Also may I suggest something else? Maybe you should make the 2 more like the Sonic font, also center the "The Hedgehog" part on the banner. Basically I'm talking about making something similar to the Sonic 2 HD Alpha Release Title Screen Banner.

Oh and Perhaps given the fact that it's a different game, maybe you should just make the O in heroes an O without the Sonic head in it.

9. I think that is to show it is LIKE Sonic Heroes, with being able to control a team of three at once.

Also this hack could be called Sonic 2D Heroes, cause it basically is.

And on Tails carrying both Sonic and Knuckles, wouldn't it be easier to simply have them hold each other by their feet?

Tails holds Sonic by his hands, and Knuckles holds Sonic's feet with HIS hands.

This would allow you to not have to make new sprites.

10. flamewing

flamewing

France
    While there is still much to be done, the special stages are coming along rather nicely:

I still need to fix the HUD, status messages and the score tally after the special stage, all of which are glitched. Oh, and write the code to have the "extra" players remain dormant until a button is pressed (I will probably go with 'A' for it, as it is as yet unused in the special stage, while start pauses).

11. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Oh man, that is cool as hell. This hack impresses more and more with each post, flamewing.

12. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    that's really awesome :D now special stages will be much easier :3

13. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    Or harder...

I'll never forget my many rages at Tails in Sonic 2 :argh:

But seriously I love the title screen and I seriously love the Special stage, its just incredible that this could be done.

In regards to the 3 player, was this strictly for the special stage or for the splitscreen aswell. Because if it was for splitscreen maybe split the screen into quarters and display player stats (wins / losses and HUD elements for each player in there). That might be a bit too much for what is actually possible.

Anyway, I just wanted to say this looks incredible and I'll say what everyone else is saying here, it gets more an more impressive with every update.

14. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    yeah, you've got a point there :O
    but I mean, if we can get the 3 player co-op it will be awesome :333 no worries about Tails getting bombed anymore! XD

15. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Which is why the other players (I.e., those other than the one that was at the lead and entered the special stage) will only show up if you press a button.

I actually completely excised the split screen mode way back -- it was out even in rev 0.01, though a few bits and pieces survived until recently. It would simply take far too much work and be far too hard -- possibly impossible -- to get it working well enough and looking decently enough to be worth it, whether with a 3-way split or with a 4-way split.

16. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    How do you control those? :psyduck:

For some reason when I imagine playing that in my mind, I imagine the A button making Knuckles jump, the B button making Sonic jump, and the C button making Tails jump. Then, Sonic stays in the center, and up and down move Knuckles and Tails up and down simultaneously.

17. flamewing

flamewing

France
    I toggled on the 'teamplayer' option for port 1 in Gens-rerecording then recorded all tracks simultaneously using frame advance. In short, it was a TAS.

18. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    While you're in the special stage editing phase, fix Knuckles's arms. They're tan for some reason when they should be red.

19. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    And Tails'.

20. Liliam

Liliam

Previously Fred Oldbie
    Actually, I think all three characters have the same arms for some reason, you just never notice it on Tails because the colors are so close.