don't click here

Sonic Classic 2

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Hez, Jul 21, 2011.

1. dsrb

dsrb

I thought (read: didn't notice either way and assumed without checking) that the gloves did change; that's a good suggestion if not. I'm unsure about Tails' fringe, as it isn't related to his flight and may just get in the way; the gloves could be argued as being part of Knuckles' ability to glide (albeit less than his dreadlocks, but that'd obviously be going too far :v:).

2. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I kind of planned on adding gloves to at least the stopped walking and running frames.

3. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    double post

Got a good question here. Would any be butt hurt to the idea of swapping shields? For example, if you hit a fire shield, it adds it to your inventory. If you don't want to have it on you can shut it off. Level progresses, you can switch it on as long as you didn't lose it already. If you hit another fire monitor, you still only have 1 fire shield available. Now if you have said fire shield available, and you hit the bubble monitor, you gain the bubble monitor and the fire monitor shield is still in your "inventory" to use at your disposal. If you lose the bubble, you still can use the fire shield.

EDIT: Also considering this, you can only have two said shields in the inventory at a time (sort of like mario) have a bubble and a fire, and hit a lightning monitor, whatever shield your not using goes bye bye. If your not wearing any shield, your last used shield goes bye bye.

4. ...so basically like the secondary item in Super Mario World?

I like that idea a lot actually.

5. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I think its a great idea! Reminds me of Mighty's game in Megamix. At first, I thought having only two slots would be restrictive, but I guess any more than that would be kind of overpowered though.

6. Steven M

Steven M

So it's a bit like Mighty in Sonic Megamix.

Yeah, that sounds fine.

Thanks for totally invalidating anything your post had to say by the way

7. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    I think the character monitors are a great idea. I get a serious Mario 3 vibe from it. Also, yes to the shield idea.

8. corneliab

corneliab

I don't understand how someone could go from making a competent classic-style fangame to one with these completely inane mashup powerups.

Better yet, I don't see how someone could be so hellbent on defending them when it's completely clear that they are stupid as fuck.

9. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    maybe the character powers would work better as shields or variations of Speed Shoes (like with the different character's shoes as the monitor icons)
    I like both the ideas anyway, and I certainly wouldn't call them "inane", although if they're used too often it could make the game feel not like a Sonic game.

10. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    It's obviously not that cut and dry, because there are obviously plenty of people who disagree with that sentiment. Personally I find it far stupider to be totally dismissive of something completely harmless like this that has no real impact on the quality of the game aside from to differentiate it from its origins a little. Whatever though, haters gonna hate.

11. dsrb

dsrb

Not to mention that the blatant answer to that first question is "because that's just your opinion as an anonymous internetter, whereas Hez can do whatever he wants with a project made for free/lulz in his own time". Talk about unwarranted self-importance ITT.

12. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    How is "completely clear that they are stupid" when you didn't even care to give a reason why? Personally, I do think it looks a bit weird (which could understandably turn some people off), but it appears to play and function well as a interesting new powerup concept that hasn't really been done in any fangame. How do those powerups make the game automatically incompetent? He even said that they aren't even required to finish the game.

Better yet, I don't see how someone could be so hellbent on bashing them when it's completely clear that they play/work fine in the gameplay, and that the only real problem they have with it is the way it looks, and how much sense it makes conceptually (the latter of which is barely important to the player, as long as it works in-game). Yes, good artwork is very important in a videogame, but I cannot see how anyone can place it anywhere remotely near as important as the gameplay.

Plus, many of you are acting like you're buying the game from SEGA! It's his own game, he can do whatever the heck he wants with it if he so chooses! Chill out guys!

13. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I like the idea of making Tails and Knuckles' power ups into shields (yellow and red shield respectively). I think a neat idea for gliding and flying would be to make them work similarly to how Tails and Knuckles use them, but also a bit different to make it feel like it was Sonics own twist on their abilities.

(maybe for flying Sonic would have to hold A a bit, then he'd do a small burst into the air, which can be done until he tires out? Not sure about gliding).

14. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US
    I'm with TheInvisibleSun on this one.

The creator can make his fan-game in whatever direction he chooses to go with. As well, Hez has a valid point to help this decision. Making specific or complicated levels to be accustomed to "3" characters is very time consuming and frustrating. To me, the complaint here is not the game-play of these items but in fact the look of it. I actually think its a neat idea to make one character have the temporary abilities of others for a short period of time. In truth, all it is, is a power-up... which happens to share the abilities of other characters. If used correctly, I suspect some good fun to be had using this abilities to reach certain areas that can only be accessible through these power-ups. Besides, its not like Sonic hasn't had his fair share of crazy power-ups throughout the series and was never able to fly or glide. (rocket shoes, hang-glider)

Finally, its a fangame, not official. You're not paying for it, you're getting it for free. Stop your bitching. Criticism is one thing but complaints without details are another. If you don't like the idea or premise of it, too bad. Just don't play it and move on.

15. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    So would you all quit bitching about tails power up if I instead did something like this

[​IMG]

to make him fly? Pallete change would still be there.

16. Steven M

Steven M

Brainstorming!

How about the Tails monitor gives you infinite jumps (like the sparkling Lightning Shield jump, only you don't get the ring-attraction side-effect) and the Knuckles monitor lets you spindash across walls and ceilings (like Taz: Escape From Mars) and enter a glide mid-jump/fall?
    And maybe if you find certain special monitors in-game or, maybe just as a treat for finishing the game, you can have a Tails/Knuckles monitor permanently stocked in an extra inventory space during New Game Plus?

17. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    That's agreeable to me, it's something relevant to Sonic, and it doesn't look ridiculous.

Thanks for taking our concerns into account and not just ignoring them like some people would have.

18. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Hold your tongue, because I still may ignore them.

19. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    It makes Sonic look like Espio in Chaotix. I say keep the tail add on, turn him orange and give him Tails shoes, same with Knuckles, give Sonic his shoes and glove, aswell as turning him pink. It's a unique idea that looks fun as hell.

20. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Perhaps logic wasn't the best word usage. It just seemed weird even for Sonic's universe for him to change colors and grow two tails over breaking a monitor. As I also mentioned, the werehog was a stupid idea and very few people would agree it was good idea. I was quite amazed the reaction was originally pretty positive to the Tails monitor. If Sega tried to do something like that, the idea would be massively mocked and probably get laughed at by the gaming press. As for the storybook games, the reaction to those aren't too great either and a lot of people hope Sonic Team never makes another one.

Gaining abilities on the sole basis of "through the power of friendship" is always a shitty way to implement powers.

That actually looks pretty cool. This is partly why I criticized the original concept in the first place. I felt you were capable of something a lot more interesting than what was originally shown in the video and criticism helps make projects better. If barely anyone criticized the concept, you would have less incentive to modify the idea.