don't click here

Sonic CD 2

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by StephenUK, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    ITT: Bad ideas that had nothing to do with the original game. Throwing every character in there is a stupid idea and Super Sonic should be more of an after thought rather than a main feature.

I would suggest following up on what Eggfan said. Actually make Time Travel play a major role in the game rather than a visual novelty. For example, in a jungle like stage there would be a path you couldn't cross in present time because of all the heavy vegetation. You would have to go back to the past and burn it down but you still can't go through because of all the fire, so you go back to the present and the road is clear and the fire is obviously out. A city stage would have a river in the past, a bridge that's currently being built but would require heavy platforming in the present, and complete and easier to get through but filled with more enemies in the future.

Honestly, the main focus on the game should be time travel itself. Expand apon the original idea of the game rather than just trying to make another game. Think about how time travel can be a major component to the game and not some stupid novelty like playing as Knuckles. Stupid shit like that isn't what made Sonic CD at all.

2. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    oh yeah, and not having the twirly time travel sequence would be a plus too, if you can find a way to do it.

3. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Listen to Chimpo, here. One thing I loved on Sonic CD is how it's a solo adventure. Having Tails, Knuckles, or Fang would ruin, I think.

4. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    Here is my fangame, well Hexagon Hill Zone. I have no problem with joining forces to make this the best ever. I hope you like this. I am well aware of the bugs so I need no report. Everything will be worked out over time. And I did use Sonic Worlds to make this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNcVCyaaajw

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Add Sonic 3 act transitions. This doesn't sound important however it's far too much of a pain to have to always start each level back in the present and find a way to get in the past and destroy the machine to make a good future. And make some kind of reason to go in the future at all. The future always has some of the best environments in Sonic CD, but you rarely get to see them save the boss or you feel like getting two future signs, which seems kinda useless.

Also Metal Sonic, 2 player mode, a mode to play as Metal Sonic in one player, Tails, Knuckles, Sonic 2 spindash, and possibly Metal Sonic.

6. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    I do remember him saying he might use a warp sequence. Keep in mind, you could skip it in the original if you so chose. Personally, I always kind of enjoyed it.

@Chimpo: I think those are cool time travel ideas. I feel the jungle zone puzzle needs some fixing up, though. For example, if the fire was already occurring in the past, then wouldn't the blocked path already be cleared? What if there was a fire shield that was only available in the past? You could use that shield to touch the blockade and burn it down.

In fact, there's a great idea! You could implement elemental shields in different time zones that could be used to solve environmental puzzles! You could actually use the shields to access different paths instead of simply adding an extension to your jump. In fact, let's go back to the city puzzle with the bridge. Let's say there's a mechanical drawbridge in the present that's shut down, so you can't reach the extra lives on the right side of the bridge. If you go to the future, you can find a lightning shield, and you can use it to power the drawbridge in the present and reach the extra lives, and another path!

That would be a great way to get some extra use out of the time zones. Speaking of which, do you plan to implement the Metal Sonic holograms and the Badnik generators?

7. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    I'd love to see the return of the robot generators you have to destroy for a good future. I liked going into the past in Sonic CD and looking for them which certainely adds to the searching element first time around, I feel, and also gives an incentive to explore the levels in detail, which I enjoy.

I also second Chimpo's idea; areas where progress is impossible in the current time zone so you have to warp to the future or the past to change the present. Only problem I'd have with this is if it's overused to the point of forcing the player to warp a lot in a short space of time which in my opinion would become a little stale.

Metal Sonic and Amy returning would also make this feel like a true sequel. They don't have to be playable by any means but having them there as part of the story somehow would remain true to the original I feel. Even if you only see them once or twice, like Sonic CD.

Also, something that I haven't seen mentioned yet; bosses. Sonic CD's bosses were completely different from your usual fare and there are no typical "8 hit points" bosses, so I'd love to see some more wacky gimmick based ones in the same vein as Sonic CD.

8. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I had a similar idea once with a zone concept called "Timeless Castle," the difference was certain parts of the castle were collapsed or freshly built, and time travel was done via doors (wtf :v: )

I definitly support this. It made exploring the levels fun and a challenge. There's also the Metal Sonic holograms to remember. All were fun to hunt for, even though all they did was release animals. :v:

Did somebody already mention flowers from badniks?

Plot wise, I think the game should be some sort of return to Little Planet. Anyone else agree?

9. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    It's an example, and you're overcomplicating it by adding useless features that detract from the time travel aspect. And as I stated, you couldn't go through the path because it's still on fire so you would have to find a way back to the present where fire is no longer a hazard.

Good job son, you've just made time traveling a novelty rather than a feature.

10. Heres one of my ideas from a previous topic that might help give you some Ideas:

11. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    To me, just do an alternative version of Sonic 2 (Same style of level themes for example) and screw all the other characters than Sonic and Tails (Well, maybe you can add one as a "badass boss character" like it was Metal Sonic in SCD) and well, Past, Present and Future time for each zone IS a must.

Also, CD Quality Music, and a fucking main theme with nice lirycs and all groovy like it was in SCD (and Im talking about Sonic you can do anything, not Sonic Boom)

That'd be Sonic CD 2 to me....or Sonic 2 CD.

Edit;Typo

12. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I dunno how, but both of you gave me an idea of a zone involving (yes I know it's still too early for zone ideas :ssh: I think a lot on these ideas, perhaps too much; I don't even want to fill this post with possibly useless-at-the-moment ideas) a mine, similar to a Centralia, Pennsylvania scene. Somehow a spaceship idea came on it's own. :v:

I dunno. It just seems too complicated. I like just good ol Sonic running through the fabric of time. :psyduck:

13. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

TBD
    No, as a mater of fact, I actually did not. Your idea was to go back to the past and then the present. Technically, that means the player didn't do anything in the past to affect the present. My idea was for a specific item to only be available in the past so that the player can use said item in the past to affect the present. For the function of time travel, that's actually a sound idea. In fact, it's just as sound as destroying a robot generator in the past to affect the future.

14. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029

15. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

TBD
    I think I read "because of all the fire" the wrong way. I was under the impression that the jungle in the past was on fire.

But there would still need to be a way to burn it down in the past. In that case, you could still use the past-exclusive fire shield to burn it down. You still couldn't get through because of the flaming plants, but you would at least be protected by the shield. Or maybe there's a burning log in the past that you can push toward the vegetation that would cause it to catch fire.

16. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    err.. I wouldn't bother too much about that right now, he was merely suggesting an example of the type of thing that time travel could be used for.

17. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    That. And this if it becomes feasible.

I want to see just Sonic. No Knuckles, no Tails, no Eggman Nega. None of that. Make it keep the simplistic, surreal, charming nature of the original. To be honest, when I got in this thread and saw Super Sonic and Adventure Amy getting thrown around, that Jackie Chan picture manually appeared in my head.

Oh yeah, maybe implement that nifty Back To The Future style warping that was supposed to be in the original, if possible. That would be cool to see.

18. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    If you are in the mood to misinterpret things, you could argue that "SEE YOU NEXT GAME" is referring to this, being a sequel to Sonic CD. So Tails is a must.

19. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    It's talking about Sonic 2.

20. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    I think Project Chaos set a very good base for a Sonic CD 2. As Chimpo stated, I think it might be a good idea to just look at the original SCD, pluck out its flaws, and expand upon what it did correctly. I think something needs to be done about the way the whole "save the future" concept was executed. I really hate having to slow down and backtrack in a Sonic game - there is a way to make exploration fun (see: S3K) and a way to make it boring and tedious (see: Sonic Advance 2's special stage rings).

One problem I have with Sonic CD is that more often than not, the time travel just seems to get in the way, pretty much ruining the entire concept of the game. Instead of being as amazing and mindblowing as it sounds, it's just kind of a task waiting for some ugly transition sequence and then getting nothing but the same exact level with a new coat of paint. Someone will surely slap me for this, but I think it would be interesting if the whole "save the future" concept was scrapped altogether and time travel was seamless somehow. You pass the post, the screen quickly flashes, and bang, you've travelled through time. But instead of going back to look for something in a stage that wasn't even designed for backtracking, it will change the level design to make it either easier or harder for whatever section it covers.

I think something like this would make the game more fun and simple. It would make players actually want to use the time travel feature and make it more of a true game element than just a tacked on extra. Instead of wasting time looking around and backtracking, players can use time travel to their advantage by choosing the right timeposts. Think of it as an extension of alternate pathways. If you want to get really wild with it, maybe you can make certain times only an advantage to one character, like the future may weather away a wall so Knuckles can break it down or perhaps in the past there was a platform above that only Tails can reach.

tl;dr I agree w/ Chimpo :colbert:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.