don't click here

Sonic CD 2

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by StephenUK, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    So I'm abandoning my old hack and working on making a faithful sequel to Sonic CD, but I'm curious as to what people think a direct sequel should contain. What do you all think the sequel would involve, what features would you expect etc.

Discuss.

2. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    The ability to change into Super Sonic should definitely be in the sequel. Edit: misspelled definitely >.>

3. Stop that.

4. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    You could offer to contribute to Mobiethian's Sonic CD 2

5. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    You're abandoning Project Chaos? Awww. :(

I hope you at least move some of your stuff from Project Chaos to CD 2, though. From all of what I had seen of Project Chaos, it looked like you had some great levels planned out.

Anyway, I agree with Ravenfreak; Super Sonic should be in the game. Oh, and add Tails, too! Knuckles is a maybe; after all, he is supposed to be standing guard on the Floating Island. Metal Sonic is a maybe, too, but Metal Knuckles on the other hand might prove to be a very interesting foe. I'd like to see time zones make a return; that was made the first Sonic CD so much fun, what with the zones transforming throughout each time zone. I want to say that Time Stones should return, but Sonic always transforms with the Chaos Emeralds. Maybe you could shake up the formula a little and use the Sol Emeralds? (Heck, you could even use Anarchy Beryls. :P ) Just imagine: Solar Sonic and Solar Tails!

I'd like to see some minibosses in this game a la Sonic 3. I liked the concept of minibosses in Sonic games, and it added some extra enjoyment to the game. You could use machines, large Badniks, Metal Sonic/Knuckles (could be operating a vehicle), or even Nack and his flying machine. Also, I want to hear some CD audio quality tracks, as should be expected from a CD sequel. I don't care how you get them, either: tracks from the Internet, video game tracks, or even original tracks just for the game. If the music fits the zones, I'll be happy.

By the way, how do you plan to make this? Game-making software? Hacking? E02? And can I help in some way?

The way I see it, if there can be more than one Sonic 4, then it can't hurt to have more than one Sonic CD 2. ;)

6. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I always kinda saw Chaotix as a Sonic CD 2.

You would need to have have the surreal, colorful levels. Amy should probably make an appearance, like maybe Sonic has to save her again for some reason. Obviously it should be made for the Sega CD.

7. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Actually, it might be interesting to have the option to play as Amy with her hammer (like in Sonic Advance), just to mix things up.

8. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

TBD
    But would be want classic Amy or Sonic Advance Amy?

Personally, I'd vote for Sonic Advance Amy. She seems like more of an adventure-seeking go-getter than the one we know from the first Sonic CD.

9. StephenUK

StephenUK

Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Well, first of all, having it on the Sega CD would be a luxury, but my aim at first is to have a game that feels like a sequel to the original, even if it is still on the MD/Genesis to start with. As a result, time travel is already programmed and is 99% accurate to Sonic CD. The only things that need adding are a warp animation, if I decide to use one, and a fade in after the warp. Everything else, such as the timezone change and running to warp, is already fully functional.

As far as characters go, I don't want to overload it with unnecessary characters. At the moment, I was looking at having Sonic (obviously) and possibly Tails, although I might drop him as well, depending on whether it's worth having him in.

The other features mentioned I'll certainly give consideration to, so keep the ideas coming.

10. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    A "faithful sequel to Sonic CD" wouldn't have Advance style Amy.

11. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    More puzzle elements between time zones. Do something in the past to allow progress in the present/future.

12. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    It'd be cool to see this on 32X CD.

13. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

TBD
    So this is a hack, then? That means I couldn't be much help with the programming, as I have no experience in that specific area.

Anyway, I'm thinking about what you're going to do with the Special Stages. Do you intend to hide the Special Rings, activate the stages at checkpoints, make the ring appear when you have 50 rings, or do you even intend to try using the Special Springs? I'm guessing that, being a spiritual sequel, you'll go for the 50-ring Special Ring at the end, but I'm just wondering if (again) you intend to shake things up a little. As for the stages themselves, will they be Mode-7-styled again or will this be a classic collect-the-rings kind of stage?

...Or maybe you could even make Collect the Rings in the Mode-7 stage! :)

14. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    My Sonic CD 2 is more like Sonic 2. No Amy. Just Sonic, Tails, Dr. Robotnik and Fang/Nack. Also a metal tails at the end. But 2 Sonic CD 2's??

15. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member

THIS

16. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    I guess a way to distinguish one from the other is I could call my fangame "Sonic the Hedgehog CD 2". Not sure though, there should be some name difference.

17. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    You'll definitly need good level deisgns, and if you want I can help. I've seen a few Sonic CD 2 ideas, and have a lot of scrap ideas laying around. Would love to have them put to good use, if you want. :)

18. StephenUK

StephenUK

Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    @Mobiethian: I actually had no idea you were working on a project under the same name. I've been kinda distant from the community for some time now and don't follow what a lot of people do anymore. I went with Sonic CD 2 as the aim was for a faithful and direct sequel, and having any other name wouldn't really represent that.

@Sparks: I agree, level designs will be the key, but they will have to be done in such a way that after warping, the players won't find themselves stuck in walls. Before I start thinking about zone designs in much detail however, I want to come up with an underlying story (like Sonic CD and Sonic 3K had, not like the shit produced in the 3D ones), and base the zone progression around that.

@B.Emerald: Mode-7 special stages would not be possible unless I did port it to CD at some point, and even then, I have absolutely no idea how Mode-7 works, so there's no chance of that happening. For special stage entry, I was going to stick with the S1/SCD big ring entry, simply because it offers more of a challenge. Being able to get all the emeralds within the first 2 zones in S2 and S3 kinda ruined the rest of the game by taking most of the challenge away. At least in S1, unless you were really good at the special stages, you had to see out over half of the game before you got all the emeralds, and there was little room for error due to the limited number of entries.

Finally, Sonic Advance Amy will not be making an appearance. The closest I'd probably do is put Amy in as a NPC and maybe update her to have her Sonic Adventure dress design, but thats about it.

19. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    From what I see in SCDs design, each act in a different time zone is -basically- the same, but there's usually a small difference in layout, but not major to where you would get a situation like being stuck in a wall. (Metallic Madness Zone had a large level design difference in each time zone, but most places where you actually -could- build up speed to travel through weren't changed (which were often two springs at each end of a pit).

20. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Seeing as Sonic CD was basically a Sonic 1+, what about making it a Sonic 2+, essentially? lawl Sonic 2 Long Version with Timezones..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.