don't click here

Sonic Boom

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by iojnekns, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Can someone please provide a different download link? it won't let me download it from the current one.

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
  3. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Video
    Recorded with Kega, so you need the codec installed to watch.

I counted 11 jumps(12 if a double jump counts as 2) quite a few were unneeded. I made 3 unneeded jumps near the end because I mistimed a jump, and a few could have been cut out if I pressed the d-pad in the right direction. I'm not saying the new moves are not useful though, they are, but the game can be done without using any of them.

4. Chaud

Chaud

This. Really, this.

I won't deny that I was really impressed with the technical part. In this, the Hack is light-years ahead of almost 90% of the Hacks we find here, or anywhere else. No one can deny that this is an achievement, and that creators deserve to be congratulated.

On the other hand, I couldn't have much fun playing it, for several reasons. First, the movements are largely unnecessary, except in the bosses, as someone said. During the level, the only movement I felt was really necessary is the double jump, and only in some parts. The fact that it doesn't cost rings, and that it's the more useful move, practically eclipses all other skills.

Moreover, they are a bit "strange" to use. In my head, instead of placing each button (ABC) to activate a different ability, maybe it was more interesting to choose one to focus all of them, using combinations with the directional pad to activate, and the other buttons to jump. For example, the double jump by pressing any jump button 2 times, the Diagonal Dash be used to hold the "action button" (like, A) + left/right, the Flying Kick be used to hold the "action button" (A) + down, etc. But it's likely that this is a matter of habit, as I am not familiar with a Sonic game with so many functions spread in the control, it may be that after some hours playing this feeling eventually disappears. So, this paragraph can be ignored. :v:

The second reason is the level design. Sonic has always been a game with traps to catch rushed players, but they all (or at least most of them) offer the player enough time to react. In most cases, you have more than half a second to realize that there is "something wrong approaching", and brake/jump/roll to dodge. It isn't pure trial & error. In this hack, also because of the great speed (which is needed to go up in slopes, and go through loops - the level design encourages you to run), the time you have to respond is often minimal. Often, even *knowing* that there was some obstacle, I hadn't enough skill to dodge it. Especially in the 3rd act, where I memorized much of the layout, and still could not react in time.

(But I understand that there are many Sonic fans that like whem a game is more difficult. After all, there are people who play games like DoDonPachi, something I cannot stay longer than 10 seconds without dying. The difficulty level is just too high for my ability. Especially the boss of the 2nd act, I *had* to play using savestates, after dying [no exaggeration] 30 times in a row. And still died 30 more times. Maybe I'm just that bad. Damn.)

And finally the art, which although isn't bad, it also don't catch a lot of attention. In fact, the impression I have is that this is more the fault of the background than the foreground - because it's too simplistic, with no details, leaving the level without much life. Perhaps the colors don't help much, but I'm not sure, I only know that when looking at the backgrounds of the original games, it stand out more. Sometimes you know that there's something wrong in one thing, and simply cannot find words to describe. I wish I could say something more specific...

Well, that's my opinion. :)

5. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Thanks, I have to say I enjoyed it although I haven't yet been able to defeat the King Orbi boss yet in act 2 which was way too hard in my opinion. Plus it has to be said, if its a sonic game it has to have eggman.(its not a sonic game with out eggman) When I saw king orbi in act 1, I was like yes a mini boss! but when I saw it again in act 2 I thought oh dear... where is eggman. Its a hard level, but its cool but insainly to fast for its own good IMO.

Edit: completed it, act 3 was insane but awsome at the same time. You guys have seriously outdone yourself awsome game. :thumbsup:

6. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    There is no freakin' way to make any better what's already there. No way. This hack totally deserved the HPZ trophy! I've been waiting for it since you sent the private video to me, iojnekns. In the end, act 2 and 3 were much better than act 1. I would also like to say something to the bosses: Act 1 - cool, though it's kinda easy to beat him if you don't want to save every single ring. Act 2 - I collected over 500 rings and I died. I DIED! Dude, this is the hardest boss I've ever seen! Next, act 3. I have to admit that I used savestates here, as there was no freaking way to jump for me. You need a very good reaction skill and I don't have that. Still, an awesome escape zone and I really wish if there would be something like this is the next zone. Last but not least, the credits. I didn't expected custom credits at all, but now I'm feeling even better, because it was damn awesome. And finally, the music. Tweaker, Rox, nineko and SOTI did an AWESOME job here. Those are probably the best voices I've ever heard. The music fits perfectly to each act and, more important here, all songs are sounding simalar, so you have a new medly in your ear but still the same voices.

So, to describe the hack with one thing: :thumbsup:

7. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    Wow, I just started playing this and I'm impressed!
    Just the orbs in a power plant were reminding me of pokemon, a pokemon tuneplays! hah.

8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I also got hit by one of the SBZ-style lightning beds nearly every time I took a blind jump from a high ledge if I recall correctly. Rather frustrating. I suppose it doesn't really matter in the end as long as I've still got rings, at least at this point, but I still don't see it as the pinnacle of level design.

I entirely agree.

9. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    OK so I jsut finished this hack and teh only thing I can say after this is: WOW!

This hack is technically very impressive! It could perfectly be called a revolution in teh sonic hack scene! The guys who are making this hack are genius!

10. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Ironically enough, I converted the song which won the Piano Trophy (and others). But thanks :thumbsup:

This also means that I kinda won the Piano Trophy twice in a row.

11. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Fix'd.

12. iojnekns

iojnekns

trouble keeps you runnin' faster Member
    Really fun to read the responses so far, both negative and positive! Frankly after 3 years of keeping our baby safe and hidden, its refreshing to hear what reactions it draws in the big bad world. I'm glad some of you enjoyed it, and I'm sorry if you didn't - but hey, keep the replies coming, even if you hated it.

So, a few thoughts - the level design seems to be the key component that is polarising opinion. Designing for Boom presented some interesting chellenges, not least of which was the fact that grossly overpowering sonic was the first thing we did, with the intention of building levels around this new sonic to better reflect and challenge his abilities. A drawback of this, is that he can manouvre to anywhere on the screen pretty much instantly. Jumps or obstacles that are big enough to cause a problem are too big to fit on the screen all at once! This made for the tricky task of balancing the design - its either a leap of faith or an easy jump.
    As a result, it is very difficult for a new player and losing and being hurt isn't fun at all. We the developers have been used to the way boom plays for a long time. I think that this is a unique disadvantage we have conceded - other hacks simply don't have to contend with such a learning curve because they handle largely the same as the original games - if you get your ass kicked up and down the first time you play, you are unlikely to be endeared to continue to play and consequently do not become comfortable with the controls. For this reason I'm not surprised that some people haven't enjoyed it too much. I don't think as players of hacks we are accustomed to having to overcome such a learning curve - we are usually already comfortable with the physics and I think if I were on your side of the fence playing things for the first time, I'd probably feel the same way. I'm at a friends place at the moment so I can't do this right now, but I'd like to post a ROM of the original sonic 2 with boom's new moves, which is where I fell in love with the style of play. I wanted to create levels that gave an advantage to players that used the moves, but due to the ring tax, I was unwilling to make them totally necessary to progression. I say this not to defend the hack, or try and bully you into liking it, but merely to share some of my thoughts that arose when reading your responses. Hopefully the next zone will be a complete departure in terms of the style of play, I'm hoping each level will have its own unique personality and gameplay.

The art - well, apart from the contributions of the extremely able and talented MKAmeX, was drawn by me. I have absolutely no history of pixel art, have never tried to, or claimed to be able to draw anything before. This is the result of my first try of drawing anything, so while it may not be the prettiest level in the world, I remain extremely proud. Compared with the coders of the team who undoubtedly have the field mastered, art is definitely not my strong point. I tried to make up with the lack of experience with sheer effort and attention to detail - the art is functional rather than extremely pretty, but I don't think its actively horrible. Again, not an attempt to coax you into being a fan, just sharing my thoughts.

I'm sure there are a few more things I had to say, but as I say, I'm at a friends flat at the moment and not really in a position to talk at too much length. I did enjoy the CNZ red barrel comparison in regards to the vicious pit in the lower route of act 1, and am looking forward to seeing Polgon Jim's video of completing boom with as few jumps as possible (this computer appears to be lacking a video codec)! OH, and Tweaker is quite right, the key to getting past the electric beds is often to curl into a ball as you race along the ceiling, putting you just out of reach of the prongs of lightning.

Anyway, this turned out a bit longer than I expected, as I said keep the replies coming! I'm grateful that even the negative responses seem to acknowledge the blood, sweat and tears we've poured into this over the years, and I think I'm still the hacks number one fan. To all those that enjoyed it - I'm glad we could entertain you. :)

13. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    I must say, I was very impressed, though the difficulty was a tad much. I managed to get a time over on act 2's boss, and accidentally discovered a gamebreaking glitch (sonic got stuck nowhere) in act 3.
    Act 3 was very impressive. I fucking loved trying to keep out of those flames. =P

14. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

Overall, pretty enjoyable. I'm not the biggest fan of the overwhelming speed, but it just depends on preference, really, so I can't criticise it for that.

That said, there's just a few moments that really ruin it for me, and it'd be far better without. In act 1, a few springs launched me so fast that I went off screen. Not in a Chemical Plant situation, but to the point where it took a few seconds to even catch up with me, by which point I'd landed in an area with the Scrap-Brain-electric-orb thingys, and lost all my rings. This felt more like a bug than level design.
    However, in Act 2, I reached an area where there was no floor, and a path of rings led downwards. In Sonic games, this is normally an indication that it's safe to jump. Here, that was not the case, and I landed straight in an electric pit thingy. Just... No. That's misdirection of the worst kind. (EDIT: It's at about 3:23 in Tweaker's video)

There's a lot to impress here, though. King Orbi Mark II is one of the most impressive looking bosses I've seen, and the boss truly seems chaotic. Of course, that meant that most of the way through the battle, I didn't have a clue what was going on, but... Yeah, incredible to look at. And are those t0ms0nic's Sonic sprites? They fit very well.

15. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Okay! I finished my video. You guys can check it out here. Once available, I highly suggest watching in high quality; YouTube's OGG decoder somehow screwed up during post-conversion, leading to several clicks and decreases in audio quality. I have no idea why, but hopefully it doesn't take away from the overall watchability of the video.

As I mentioned earlier, I died quite a few times; not all of them are left in. For contrast, the original length of the video was double what it is now—30 minutes compared to the 15 it is now. Regardless, I hope this gives you a better idea on how the game should play and that you enjoy watching it. :)

16. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    high quality isnt even making a difference, the HQ button isn't there, and extending the URL just seems to stretch the image.

17. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    I feel faint.

This hack is awesome, and that's really all I can say.

18. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    Although I do agree that it is a challenging hack, I am really enjoying it thus far. The use of rings for speciality attacks is pretty nifty, as is the speedometer. Music is pretty cool as well.

Amazing job guys. :thumbsup:

19. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Incredibly technically impressive. Probably technically one of the coolest hacks out there. Great graphical work, the special moves are interesting, etc.

However, gameplay-wise, this is just not what I want out of a Sonic game. The overwhelming speed is not a positive thing, as mentioned before, and if this is 'the best' hack, gameplay-wise, that's a sad statement regarding where the community is today. :/

20. Jdogg

Jdogg

My god this name sucks. Member
    Beyond the door
    Sonic - Code Gray
    In a strange way, this game to me is like a "what if Sonic Spinball was all platform?"

Its fun to begin with, but goddamn will you get very frustrated at points.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.